Beretta PX4 45 or Springfield service XD 45

This is a discussion on Beretta PX4 45 or Springfield service XD 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the opportunity to acquire either a Beretta PX4 45 or a Springfield XD service 45. This will be put in my CCW rotation. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Beretta PX4 45 or Springfield service XD 45

I have the opportunity to acquire either a Beretta PX4 45 or a Springfield XD service 45.

This will be put in my CCW rotation. I have handled and shot both types in the past.

Which should I go with ?

Thanks !
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

2. Remove Ads

Haven't shot the .45 full size, but my .40 compact rocks. The rotating barrel does a great job at reducing recoil. Over 500 rounds and has ate all ammo I've shot without a single ftf or fte.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

I had a full size 45 xd that I loved I had a recoil grip on it and a light it was fun. That said and I was planning on putting a thread barrel on it to do things with . How many rounds does the bretta hold is it not only 10 or so I like the 13+1 of the xd that are flush mags in the full size

Also you know that if you wish they make a 460 rowland conversion for the full size xd right ?

I also had a xdm 45 subcompact and that was a great compact gun that hide very well..

That all said the storms are nice looking guns that and both guns would be good .I just went with the xd for the mags and how cheep they weere ( like 20 or so or less in most case) , thread barrel and I had handle xds before . Do you own other storm guns or xd/xdm guns . If so just get the 45 version of what ever you own no need to try to get used to a new type of gun..
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I've owned them both in 9mm. The main difference of course is the striker fired vs the hammer fired SA/DA. I favor the Beretta. The XD is a good choice too but for a striker fired pistol Glock has replaced it in my lineup.

You'll do yourself well with either pistol.
    Attached Images

I would opt for the beretta. They feel better in hand to me and have a very nice trigger. Also I am not a fan of the xs series pistols

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    gatorbait51 and Eric357 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I carry a PX4 daily in 40 S&W as a duty issued weapon. Very good pistols and they do have good triggers. Been carrying them a few years now and they have held up very well for our department. I prefer them over SA XD pistols.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

i think the px4's are uggggly
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    i think the px4's are uggggly
    Maybe , but in a world of plastic guns they are nice shooters.Also beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I like the chunky little things.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    I carry a PX4 daily in 40 S&W as a duty issued weapon. Very good pistols and they do have good triggers. Been carrying them a few years now and they have held up very well for our department. I prefer them over SA XD pistols.
    I didn't realize any dept were using the px4. This kind of surprises me as most officers I see anymore are carrying some sort of striker fire pistol. My wife has the compact in 9 and I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Very nice gun imho.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

i have never shot one so i cant give my opinion there.. For some reason the way they looks reminds me of the boots that nepolian dynomite wears.

moonboots1.jpg
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Whichever feels best in your hand will probably be the best 'personal' choice. Reliability & accuracy are close enough.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    I didn't realize any dept were using the px4. This kind of surprises me as most officers I see anymore are carrying some sort of striker fire pistol. My wife has the compact in 9 and I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Very nice gun imho.
    Prior to the PX4 we were using the Beretta 96. The PX4 was about to be released just as we were getting ready to replace our 96's. Beretta gave us a good deal to stay with them and not go to Glock. I like the PX4 and find it to be very accurate.

The only major issue we have had with the PX4 ironically happened to me...on my first issued pistol. To make a long story short, my initial PX4 developed a small crack towards the rear of the slide. It extended from the rear sight cutout and around the slide, close to where the hammer strikes the firing pin. You could slide the rear sight completely out of the dovetail with your fingers. Beretta replaced the pistol and there have not been any other problems.
    Eric357 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Thanks for the imput Tundra.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Hands down, the PX4-45 feels the best (to me ). I just recently acquired a Gen4 G21, so I am looking for another FS .45 to put in the CCW rotation with the G21.

Probably going to put some XS big dots on it and call it good...

My dad is UPRR police and he carried the PX4 9mm type "c" for a while, he said the trigger was interesting to learn, but he liked it. I however did not like it. Nontheless, the PX4-45 I am looking at has the regular decocker safety function. Will probably converet to type G, or whichever is straight decock, like most SIGs.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    According to Wikipedia sources, several are:

United States: Used by the Ohio County, WV Sheriff's Department,[12] Maryland State Police,[13] Sparta, New Jersey Police Department,[14] Providence, Rhode Island Police Department,[15] Fresno Police Department,[16] and Rochester, NY police department.[17]
    Eric357 and gatorbait51 like this.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links