Think I have it narrowed down...

This is a discussion on Think I have it narrowed down... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For Conceal Carry I am looking at the HK P30 (LEM), SIG 229 (DA/SA) Or A Glock 32 all mentioned in the in the 40/357 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Think I have it narrowed down...

Think I have it narrowed down...

For Conceal Carry I am looking at the HK P30 (LEM), SIG 229 (DA/SA) Or A Glock 32 all mentioned in the in the 40/357 sig platform. . In my opinion the Glock is not in the same league as far as build quality. Nonetheless Glocks are accurate and have their place. Downside to the HK is no conversion to .357 sig that I am not aware of? Purchase won't be made until after the holidays. Any input would be welcomed. The Sig 229 would be the heaviest of the three I have mentioned.

Thanks...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

HK. if those are the only 3 choices & it fits your hand the best.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Glock you can convert it to a 40 and a 9mm and still not reach the cost of the hi or the sig.
    gatorbait51 and StormRhydr like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Have you looked at the Sig SP2022. It too is chambered in either 9mm or .40 However, it will have a reduced weight due to the polymer frame like the HK P30 does. I got to shoot one a while back, worked pretty nicely, comparable to the 229/ M11 I used to shoot. However, as it was a friends I don't know how simular the workings are to the 229.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Glock you can convert it to a 40 and a 9mm and still not reach the cost of the hi or the sig.
    What he said. LISTEN TO HIM, lol.

Having had all of those, I like the glock.

The HK has a crap trigger, the sig is da/sa.
    BadgerJ likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodie2 View Post
    For Conceal Carry I am looking at the HK P30 (LEM), SIG 229 (DA/SA) Or A Glock 32 all mentioned in the in the 40/357 sig platform. . In my opinion the Glock is not in the same league as far as build quality. Nonetheless Glocks are accurate and have their place. Downside to the HK is no conversion to .357 sig that I am not aware of? Purchase won't be made until after the holidays. Any input would be welcomed. The Sig 229 would be the heaviest of the three I have mentioned.

Thanks...
    I agree, if not for the inferior build quality of the Glock they could have been the most prolific semi-automatic pistol on the market today.

Um... Uh... Nevermind.

NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar

Thanks...
    Look at several objective requirements.
    1. Your size vs the weight of the firearm
    2. Holster options, mag availability.
    3. How it feels, trigger, operation, complexity.

Too heavy a firearm, no good holster options and a complicated safety, trigger or sights and you won't carry it.

There are lots of other parameters, I'm just giving a sample break down. Make PRICE the last item you consider (within reason). Many focus on price first, going cheap and regret not looking at the real features and advantages.

You get a great gun with no good carry options and you end up spending $200 on the 'box o holsters', for example. Better to spend on the gun. In addition you'll spend several thousand buck on ammo in the first three years. So to quibble over $200 in price seems silly, right?

Good luck. Try to dry fire it if you can.

If you're worried about impressing your friends with your exquisite expensive taste in handguns at the range....by all means
    an HK or SIG will do it.

for concealed carry, Glock 32 hands down.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by tacomunchkin View Post
    Have you looked at the Sig SP2022. It too is chambered in either 9mm or .40 However, it will have a reduced weight due to the polymer frame like the HK P30 does. I got to shoot one a while back, worked pretty nicely, comparable to the 229/ M11 I used to shoot. However, as it was a friends I don't know how simular the workings are to the 229.
    Interesting, went online to search for reviews on the SP2022, mostly favorable. Is this built on the same dimensions as the P229?

What 1986 said...

All three are big pistols that you'll get tired of trying to CC. If your set on 357sig at least go G33...
    miller_man likes this.

VIP Member
    I have a Sig 2340 .357sig.
    It is a really really good pistol. Accurate, well made and under $400 used off of GB.
    Also have an M&Pc .357sig.
    Very good.
    Looked at the Glock 33 but it didn't feel right in the grip for me.
    YMMV.
    HK would be the last, unless you have money, but even then,,,,,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

No. The 2022 has a polymer frame. Nice trigger.

The 229 is in a whole different league. Alloy frame, better ergos. An enhanced elite model comes with night sights and the SRT. My choice of the three, and I've owned all three.

If interested in the 229, take a look at the M11. It's a 229 without a rail. Comes with night sights, SRT, and three mags. It's the "new" 228.
    But for all practical purposes, it's a 229.

And man, does it shoot.
    Tundra5.7 likes this.

Interesting, went online to search for reviews on the SP2022, mostly favorable. Is this built on the same dimensions as the P229?
    SP2022
    10/4.4 trigger
    7.4" long
    5.7" high
    1.4" wide
    3.9" barrel
    5.9" sight radius
    weight w/mag 29 oz
    15 or 12 rd (9mm or .40)
    $570 MSRP

10/4.4 lbs trigger
    7.1" long
    5.4" tall
    1.5" wide
    3.9" barrel
    5.7" sight radius
    weight w/mag 32 oz
    13 or 12 round
    $993 msrp

pulled all data from SIG SAUER

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    No. The 2022 has a polymer frame. Nice trigger.

The 229 is in a whole different league. Alloy frame, better ergos. An enhanced elite model comes with night sights and the SRT. My choice of the three, and I've owned all three.

If interested in the 229, take a look at the M11. It's a 229 without a rail. Comes with night sights, SRT, and three mags. It's the "new" 228.
    But for all practical purposes, it's a 229.

And man, does it shoot.
    yeah i really liked the m-11. so much better than the berretta's that are standard issue. I use to have a 226, but I eventually sold it to get something that was a bit smaller for my edc. I have also wanted to try the Sig DAK trigger. I became a real fan of the consistant trigger of the glock, but really missed my Sig. Right now, I switched to a M&P 45 with 4" barrel as my EDC. Loosing 30 lbs made it alot easier to carry a bigger gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links