Anyone have a metro arms classic amigo?

This is a discussion on Anyone have a metro arms classic amigo? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been offered a trade for one but I know nothing about them. It is bit one as and black and looks sharp. I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1911er

Thread: Anyone have a metro arms classic amigo?

Anyone have a metro arms classic amigo?

I have been offered a trade for one but I know nothing about them. It is bit one as and black and looks sharp. I would be trading a ruger sr40c with 500 rnds of ammo and some extra kit . Not really looking for a 1911 but I am always open to a good gun

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

Just my humble opinion, but I'd certainly think twice before trading for a 2 pound+, no-name sidearm.
    At least you know what you have with the Ruger.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I think they are the same people who deal in Bersa . But peroanl I would not get a no name 1911 way to much chance of it needed work right imop. The reviews seem ok ( gun runs but normal after work and the finneshes is ok).

That said if you dont mind the chance of fixing up a 1911 no worries . But I have been offed no name 1911 in trade before and ask my AZ foroum and one of the guys there works on a lot of them and most case these no name guns are bit rough .

Just my 02 cent .I have never even heard of the gun and the company ...

This is gun I think Amigo Model look like a compact gun
    Metro Arms American Classic Amigo range report - 1911Forum
    No more Metro Arms for me

Plus with a lot of these compaies who know how long they may offer service for again 1911 so should be able to hammer something back but still..

And double so if you are not looking for a 1911.But hey it could be a great gun that know one knows about or the could be a reason there is no mention of it ..

OK ADD on it looks like a made in the Philipieans guns and at least one reivew seems to be good for it http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/f...rms-amigo.html so if you want take a chance but I would only if you dont mind the chance of needing to have work done...

I have a springer 1911 that is awesome and I have no want to sink money into a gun. From my research they are imported by the same company that imports betas but it is not made by bersa. They retail on the high end for a phillipene import too .... I think this gets a pass, just not worth it too me.

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I have been offered a trade for one but I know nothing about them. It is bit one as and black and looks sharp. I would be trading a ruger sr40c with 500 rnds of ammo and some extra kit . Not really looking for a 1911 but I am always open to a good gun

They're a hell of a gun but whoever you're trading is trying to rip you off. The last time I saw one in store, it was $650 and I could've gotten it for $600 OTD. Definitely less than an SR40C and 500 rounds.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Don't, that's not a trade if he thinks that much of it why is he overpricing it to you.

VIP Member
    Bad deal ion my opinion. Gander Mountain shows the Metro Arms Classic Amigo for $499. used. They show the Ruger SR40c used at $399. If you figure on the low side for ammo, of $20 per 50 rounds of your .40, that's $200. PLUS he wants you to throw in cash on top of that??!!

Did he say if he was willing to kiss you after the deal was all done and paid for?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    It is bi tone ... and looks sharp. I would be trading a ruger sr40c with 500 rnds of ammo and some extra kit.
    "Kit"?

Nice piece, but they were over priced within the last 12 months at $600 - $650. It comes with a one year warranty to the original purchaser only. Most FTF/FTEs can be fixed with the EGW higher mag catch (mag release) that lifts the mag 0.020" higher or by using WC mags. It's a known "problem". Check for fit and finish before deciding to buy.

The seller is comparing list prices / exact price he paid. He probably paid $650 for it. (For comparison, my brother bought the AC Commander for under $500; I paid $825 for my SIG Ultra.) So he wants your $400 Ruger, $200 worth of ammo, and mags or holster to make up the difference.

Would I do the trade? No. I'd probably sell the Ruger out right and then buy the Amigo locally or through Davidson's. Why? Warranty. I'd buy it locally so that I could inspect it for fit and finish, check the trigger pull, check the extractor tension, see if the barrel is properly cut and polished, check for slide play, check mag drop and sight placement. But that's just me...

It's a nice looking piece but you may have to invest money to fix it, if needed (like the $30 EGW mag catch.). If the trade has any problems - you will have to pay out of pocket. Not a problem unless it's a badly cut frame, badly cut barrel or lug lockup is all messed up.

What it comes down to is that the Amigo is priced more than a Ruger CMD. The ATIs now have the same problem - once they went higher than $500 they are competing with Ruger and the Ruger is much better, imo. If RIAs go over the $500 mark then they really aren't worth buying, imo. I'd probably rather get the S&W M&P 45c with the small back strap installed.

Before I made that trade I'd see if it would shoot one or two boxes of ammo reliably. If FTE/FTFs is the problem he's having, and why he wants to sell it, tell him about the EGW catch. It may fix his problem.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Agree with 1911er. I picked up a Metro Arms American Classic II for $365 four years ago. Now they are selling for a lot more.
    IMO, I'm not paying the prices that Metro Arms are going for today. My local gun store has a Ruger Commander for $699 and its
    a beautiful gun. The Metro Arms 1911's are nice guns......but I think they are WAY overpriced right now. A new Ruger SR 40C is right around
    $400 NIB + 500 rounds of ammo =way too much for a 1911 made in the Phillipines. I think Buds has a NIB Amigo in hard chrome for $650.
    I think the guy trying to do the trade is asking way too much from you for what you are getting.....time to pass or re-negotiate the deal.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

As much as I love two tone guns, I'd go with a blued gun before going with a chromed gun. Parkarized? Forgetaboutit! (Yes, the SIG Ultra has a "parkarized" aluminium frame but the slide is stainless steel.) Didn't the Amigo also come in stainless steel at one time? Were I to buy another compact 1911 I'd probably "bite the bullet" and get the Colt XSE. Me, personally, I like the idea of ramped barrels in compact and sub compact pistols - which is why I went with the SIG Ultra, which was $400 - $500 cheaper than a Kimber, and, come to find out, much more reliable. Since then the price of the Ultra has gone up, just like all other pistols. Why Colt hasn't gone with a ramp barrel in their aluminium guns? is my question.

Do I like the looks of the Metro AC Amigo, the ATI Titan, the RIA Tactical? Yes. Would I buy one? Only if I were willing to throw about $300 in parts at it. But that's just me. I'd still get any of those three over a Kimber. But then again, the Kimbers have ramped barrels, one piece guide rods and aluminium frames, so it's in a different class.

Nope, if all I had was $500 for a gun and wanted it in a .45 I'd get the S&W M&P 45c.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    As much as I love two tone guns, I'd go with a blued gun before going with a chromed gun. Parkarized? Forgetaboutit! (Yes, the SIG Ultra has a "parkarized" aluminium frame but the slide is stainless steel.) Didn't the Amigo also come in stainless steel at one time? Were I to buy another compact 1911 I'd probably "bite the bullet" and get the Colt XSE. Me, personally, I like the idea of ramped barrels in compact and sub compact pistols - which is why I went with the SIG Ultra, which was $400 - $500 cheaper than a Kimber, and, come to find out, much more reliable. Since then the price of the Ultra has gone up, just like all other pistols. Why Colt hasn't gone with a ramp barrel in their aluminium guns? is my question.

Do I like the looks of the Metro AC Amigo, the ATI Titan, the RIA Tactical? Yes. Would I buy one? Only if I were willing to throw about $300 in parts at it. But that's just me. I'd still get any of those three over a Kimber. But then again, the Kimbers have ramped barrels, one piece guide rods and aluminium frames, so it's in a different class.

Nope, if all I had was $500 for a gun and wanted it in a .45 I'd get the S&W M&P 45c.
    To each their own, the $500 I spent on my EDC Citadel got me a more consistently accurate, better trigger, and highly reliable piece for $600 less than my Colt. Don't get me wrong, the Colt has my heart, is the one my grandson will own someday, and has a fit and finish that the citadel couldn't hope to match, but the Citadel (RIA/ARMSCOR) is the bargain of the century in shooter 1911s IMO.

Is that Citadel the full size Government model or the Compact Carry 3.5"? [url=http://huntinganddefense.com/pistols/]

IMO, RIA suffers from the same "problem" as Glock or S&W - their pistols are either too big or too small, too tall or too short.

Again, at $500 the 3.5" is a good buy. But at $650? I'm not so sure. At $350 the Gov't GI is a great bargain. If the same pistol was priced at $650 many probably wouldn't buy them. I think many would agree that paying twice as much for a Kimber when you can buy a $600 Amigo is a no-brainer; I bet many Kimber owners sold their pistols and bought AC/ATI/RIAs defender sized pistols; and they probably weren't adverse to replacing parts, if need be. So the question is: pay $500 - $600 for an Amigo or $1000 - $1200 for a Kimber?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    (Yes, the SIG Ultra has a "parkarized" aluminium frame but the slide is stainless steel.)
    I bet if you checked, you'll find the frame is not Parkerized, but is anodized.

Why Colt hasn't gone with a ramp barrel in their aluminium guns? is my question.
    In the 64 years they have been making them, I imagine they've found them unnecessary unless the pistols have been "bubbafied."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Links