Sold Glock 17 and replaced with Walther PPQ (9mm)

This is a discussion on Sold Glock 17 and replaced with Walther PPQ (9mm) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a gen 3 G17 about a year ago. While if found it to be a decent shooter and very reliable, I always thought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Sold Glock 17 and replaced with Walther PPQ (9mm)

I bought a gen 3 G17 about a year ago. While if found it to be a decent shooter and very reliable, I always thought it felt too clunky. I don't have very large hands and it never felt securely anchored. After reading some excellent reviews and watching some YouTube videos on the Walther PPQ I decided it might be suit me better. I had no problem selling the G17 and found a PPQ right away at my local gun shop at a good price. As soon as I picked it up I was immediately impressed with how good it felt in my hand. Even better when I swapped in the smallest back strap. It has a very ergonomic molded grip that your hand just wraps around. The other aspect of the PPQ that interested me was the reputation for having the best trigger in a polymer handgun. Today was my first trip to the range, and I have to say it is very sweet. I almost shot it as well as a 22lr. Only put 100 rds of Federal 115 grn FMG through it, and had no malfunctions. The PPQ has an excellent reputation for quality. The fit and finish of the gun is 1st classs, and they provide a very nice case which includes 2 magazines, 3 sizes of back straps, a magazine loader, and a target with a tight grouping from 15m showing it was test fired at the factory. Field stripping is similar to the Glock, and actually slightly easier as you don't have to push the slide back any. Just pull down on the levers and the slide comes right off. I currently CCW a Shield, but can see this one getting some hip time as well.
    BritishAgent likes this.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Congrats! the PPQ is awesome. I probably would have kept the Glock and just bought the PPQ though.

VIP Member
    It is sad to hear that people trade in Glocks, but you need the gun that fits you best. And speaking of best: Best of luck and happy shooting with your new Walther.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Congratulations, I'm on the look out for a PPQ myself.

You forgot to post pics. It's customary you know.

Congrats on acquiring a fine pistol.
    WINTEJER000 likes this.

Love my PPQ M2. I traded a gen3 G19 for the Walther and haven't regretted it in the least. The only nit pick I can put on the Walther is that it does seem to have a little more muzzle flip than the Glock but ultimately as a 9mm it's still easily controllable. In pretty much every other category, though, I feel like the Walther outclasses the Glock.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Good decision, you will not be disappointed with the ppq. My son has one and I'll be getting one as soon as my wife looks the other way. But take good care of the finish because it's kind of soft and can easily scratch.

You have chosen.........wisely.

Well done. Excellent choice.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Lets see some pics!
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Congrats! That is a pistol that I would like to add tothe stable as well. Looking forward to the pics
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Getting a quality sidearm that "Fits" your hand is job #1.
    Congrats on making a fine choice. Now to be sure to use only high-quality Personal Defense ammo while carrying.

Also get a bunch of 'Range-Grade' ammo with the same bullet weight as the good stuff you'll be carrying. I like AE & WWB for the range.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

A gun that fits and one you like is likely the one you will shoot and practice with the most.

Had a glock for 3 years, got an HK, traded for Sig.
    Not going back, second Sig bought last week
    Fits me nice, good quality too
    Get what feels good to you
    multistage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    It is sad to hear that people trade in Glocks, but you need the gun that fits you best. And speaking of best: Best of luck and happy shooting with your new Walther.
    I traded a G22 for a springer 1911A1..... i got rid of a homely looking gr for a super model wife lol. Glocks just arent for everyone......

To the OP ... congrats on the new gun. I have eyeballed the walthers myself and must say i am a bit envious.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Glock 17 is my favorite handgun. I have a few of them but I bought a PPQ M2 anyway a few months ago. Got to go with what works for you. I recommend trying all the backstraps while at the range and gather your scores with each. The smaller backstraps feel better to me when holding the pistol but the large backstrap registers the best hits. so therefore I go with the larger, because it's about rounds on target, not what feels good out of 3 similar options.
    FLMOPE likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links