Ruger SR1911 vs HK 45c

Ruger SR1911 vs HK 45c

This is a discussion on Ruger SR1911 vs HK 45c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am deciding whether or not to keep my Ruger SR1911 Commander it is unfired. I purchased a HK USP9mm and like it so well ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ruger SR1911 vs HK 45c

Ruger SR1911 vs HK 45c

I am deciding whether or not to keep my Ruger SR1911 Commander it is unfired. I purchased a HK USP9mm and like it so well it is accurate, reliable and the same size as the 1911 Commander, HK is a little thicker but still lighter than the Ruger 1911 by 6-8 oz.

I am thinking of a HK45c or USP 45c which would be about the same size as a Glock 19. I have never liked the grip safety on the 1911's, I have had several.

If the HK 45 shoots as well as the 9mm I have it would be my choice.

Any thought on HK45's vs 1911's?

Had a few kimbers, still have one that was a gift. 1911's are great, however if this is for carry I'd go worth the HK45C/USP45C. A 1911 is reliable but does take more work to maintain. They need to be thoroughly tested with the rounds you'd like to carry in them. With the HK it's likely to feed just about every quality round out and some crappy stuff too... lol. I own a Hk45c and it's very accurate. It's my go to pistol right now. Again it depends on the application that you intend to use it for.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Thanks Dundem, you really brought out a good point about more to maintain in 1911 platform and more ammo sensitive. Good reply to what I was struggling with.

As much of a Ruger fanboy that I am, for carry, I'd have to give the nod to the HK.

Have you ever read a thread about someone being ticked off about an HK?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I wish I could get one in my state. Seems like the better version of the p2000 because of the round. That being said, I do not like to sell guns to get other ones. Feels like regret will follow at some point
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Just go ahead and get the HK and keep the 1911. You keep coming back the the 1911 platform. If you sell it you'll loose money on it, plus the price will probably have gone up whewn you decide it's time for a 1911 again.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

To me the answer is simple, but I'm a 1911 guy. If you don't like the grip safety, and you don't like the weight, and prefer a plastic piece, it seems you've already made up your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    As much of a Ruger fanboy that I am, for carry, I'd have to give the nod to the HK.
    Sorry. The correct answer is "You should own and carry both!"

I have an HK45c, and a SIG bobtailed commander. I decide what to carry based on what I feel like carrying that day. Sometimes it's good to have choices - especially when all of the available choices are very good ones. Dundem is 100% correct about ammo sensitivity though - all three of the HK's that I own are absolutely flat-out boring in their ability to digest every one of the various defensive and range loads that I feed them without so much as a hiccup.

Only when it was time to pay for it.
    rammerjammer likes this.

VIP Member
    The USP 45c is probably my favorite gun on the planet. I like 1911s bit if ibwas choosing between those 2... the USP wins. The HK 45 is second to the USPc to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I have both the Ruger 1911 and the HK USP compact .45; I would not get rid of either but I wouldn't carry the ruger concealed. I do carry th HK often though.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I wish I could get one in my state. Seems like the better version of the p2000 because of the round. That being said, I do not like to sell guns to get other ones. Feels like regret will follow at some point
    There is the voice of EXPERIENCE. LOL I have some $1100.+ Colts & Sig 1911 and they are not for e/one. Ruger's sr1911 is a decent entry-level 1911, but all 1911s will be prime for a malfunction after a couple hundred rounds, if not cleaned. However, I once had a Kimber that gave me too many problems, so I gladly traded it away (go figure).
    For carrying a 1911 cocked & locked, I can appreciate the grip safety, with no wobble as some offer.

For most, a Kodak sidearm is best, just draw & shoot with the holster for a safety. One of the main reasons Glock is so popular.
    I was issued a Glock 21 once & hated the FAT grip, but later learned the M&P .45 w 4.1 bbl came in a no manual safety config & a usable grip (even though it was still a double-stack)... so I got one & love it.
    I have the HK USP V.1 .45acp w 4.51 bbl and it shoots like a laser, but $60. 'factory mags' bite.

My favorite carry is prob my Colt Defender .45 1911 as it is only 22 oz & 0.98 inch thick. Only about 1200 rounds of duty-grade JHP through it, but so far it is perfection.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

You let that Ruger go someone is going to be very happy with their new Ruger 1911.
    And down the road you are going to figure out what you let go.

There's no comparing these two guns except from a reliability standpoint. Both of which are very reliable. The distinct advantage goes to the Hk45c. 1911's are great but they are a best owned by people who tinker and know what they are doing or who have great warranty service. (more on that in the next ¶) They're just more picky with what they run. The Hk45c is not. Hk says no to lead bullets and Steel cased ammo but I've never had an issue with either.

Ruger hit it out of the park with their SR1911 and I'd say it's on par with S&W's 1911. Probably up there with my Sig 1911's as well. I've never bought a high end Nighthawk or Ed Brown 1911 so I can't speak to them directly but are what I consider the best of the best. My mind & logic tell me that if I'm going to buy a "finicky" platform like a 1911, it better have an amazing warranty and for production pistols, Sig, S&W & Ruger all get it "mostly" right.

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Any thought on HK45's vs 1911's?
    iirc,
    H&K - 12 o'clock sighting
    1911 - Point of aim
    Glock, SA - 6 o'clock sighting

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Only the price!

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post

rammerjammer likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links