Considering Sig 220 to replace G30SF

This is a discussion on Considering Sig 220 to replace G30SF within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I was at a supervised practice shooting a dot drill with my G30SF, while my buddy shot his full size 1911. I don't usually ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Considering Sig 220 to replace G30SF

Considering Sig 220 to replace G30SF

Today I was at a supervised practice shooting a dot drill with my G30SF, while my buddy shot his full size 1911. I don't usually do too well shooting on the dots, but when we work on man size targets I am right in the top group at the range. My friend loaned me his 1911 and I shot at the small silhouette in the corner of the law enforcement target and at 15 feet I was putting everything in the tiny target. I was amazed.

Our instructor, who trained me on a Glock, suggested that the difference was in the balance and the sight picture (I suspect the trigger also played a role). The instructor suggested that I might like his P220. I am going to do this at next month's practice, but I was curious if anyone here who has shot both has any insights.

I love the Glock for its simplicity and reliability, but I would switch in a heartbeat if I can improve my accuracy substantially. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Sig 220 I have not shot, P226 229 I have and they are accurate, I now have a HK USP 9 and it is as accurate as the 1911's I have shot. I would try to shoot the HK45 or USP45 to compare with Sig 220, I think you will be surprised.

I am now selling my last Glock and 1911 to purchase a HK45. Good luck

Love my 220. It's pretty heavy for carry, but I did it for a long time. It's a great gun, but it ain't cheap.
    Tundra5.7 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    I carried a 220 on duty for years, an Elite 220 is about as good-looking a gun, as they come. Sigs are great guns. Having said that, using a 220 for CC, will be somewhat challenging. They do make a 220 that is a carry/compact version and that should help some.

When I'm not pocket-carrying, I change over to a Sig 229 .40 SAS, I CC it in a Kangaroo Carry, and under the right shirt it disappears, I'm thinking the 220 would do just as well.

Good luck with your choice.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    replace?

NEVER

P220s rock but they are heavy ,so own both the SIG and the GLOCK :)

Thank you all for the replies.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    A P220 is on my short list as well.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Don't forget the p227 as an option.

220 is a very nice pistol in general, and if you liked the 1911, see if you can try a SAO or SRT.

It's also not a bad carry gun - I often CC a 226 that is the same size - but you're not going to be able to hide it under a normal T-shirt. Under a jacket, it works great IWB, OWB, or shoulder/belly band. 220 carry is a bit better sized. I haven't shot the 227 mentioned above, but I think that would be sweet as well.

But, I'm not one that really cares much about weight of my carry pistol in most situations. Good holster and belt makes that pretty much N/A unless I'm running or doing other exercise in clothing that doesn't allow me to wear the belt. It's difficult to find a good CC rig that will keep a heavier gun from bouncing around too much.

Now if you're OCing, I have it on good authority that you can run with a similarly-sized M9 strapped plenty securely to LBE/MOLLE/etc, but in that case, the pistol is the least of your weight worries!

And as others have said - don't trade the Glock in for it. Get both!
    G26Raven likes this.

VIP Member
    Now here is a moment where one must ask, is it the gear or the shooter?

I won't ever tell someone to NOT buy a SIG - especially a P220. However, at 15' that G30 should be right in there with the 1911 and any other .45. You say you are not great at the dot drill you were shooting. Perhaps this is where you could commit to becoming a better shot in general.

Yes, the 1911 is often a gun that is easier to shoot well due to it's SA trigger. I submit that if you were to push that targer out to 15 yards, your group would still be less that optimum.

Work with a single target at close range until you reach a level of competence that satisfies you. Then move the target out in 5' increments, doing the same thing. Learning proper technique first is going to be far more beneficial than just throwing money and gear at the problem.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Sig P220 .45 acp is a good gun. I bought one back in the 70's when they were made in West Germany and imported by Browning. If you are OK with DA/SA they are great. The SA trigger on mine was better than most custom 1911's and it just felt good to shoot.

The Glock trigger can be difficult for some people. A good SA trigger can hide some software problems.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

I began carrying a P220 DA/SA (West German made) 25 years ago both on and off duty. It is consistently very accurate. The DA on mine in smooth with no stacking and the SA clean and crisp. From the beginning thru 6000+ rounds through it it has performed flawlessly. As has been mentioned it is a full weight/full size handgun but with the right holster it is comfortable. Just not the best for concealed carry IMO though, unless in winter.

Go for it I went from Glock to Sig platform and never looked back. Good luck with it.
    OlCop likes this.
    Unreconstructed to the End.
    Dum Vivimus Vivamus
    Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back

Of coarse the Sig 220 is a better sidearm than the Glock, but it is certainly not better for concealed carry.
    Keep the Glock if you will carry it, and get the Sig if you will enjoy shooting it.
    Life is simple.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I love my P220. Shoots great and functions flawless. Concealing would be a challenge. So my car conceals mine instead of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links