Subcompact .45 or 9mm?

This is a discussion on Subcompact .45 or 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK I currently carry a M&P 9c but I am looking at something smaller and lighter. I want something that will be easier to conceal ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Subcompact .45 or 9mm?

Subcompact .45 or 9mm?

OK I currently carry a M&P 9c but I am looking at something smaller and lighter. I want something that will be easier to conceal when I am in a tucked polo, which I wear at work when weather permits. I am considering switching to a .45 cal like a XDS but am also thinking maybe it makes sense to stay with what I am familiar with. I am relatively new to CC, and by no means a gun expert. My reasoning for going to .45 is to offset the smaller size of the barrel of the XDS.

So I am looking for advice from those of you who have lots of experience with different guns. How does the XDS .45 recoil compare to the M&P 9c? Does it make sense to change caliber size?

So I will be either getting a subcompact .45, like the XDS or a subcompact 9mm, like the Shield. Also I want to add I will be primarily IWB carrying what ever I get. No pocket carry for me. I can't stand anything in my pockets. My wallet and keys are bad enough. Even in loose cargo type pants.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    gatorbait51 and medmunds21 like this.

2. Remove Ads

For a tucked-in Polo Shirt, I'd go with a PF9 or a M&P Shield in 9 or 40, same size.

PF9 weighs 12 oz & the Shields weigh 19 oz., Shields are 0.95 in thick. PF9 is 0.88 inch thick.
    Last edited by patri0t; December 15th, 2013 at 07:23 PM.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Compa49 View Post
    OK I currently carry a M&P 9c but I am looking at something smaller and lighter. I want something that will be easier to conceal when I am in a tucked polo, which I wear at work when weather permits. I am considering switching to a .45 cal like a XDS but am also thinking maybe it makes sense to stay with what I am familiar with. I am relatively new to CC, and by no means a gun expert. My reasoning for going to .45 is to offset the smaller size of the barrel of the XDS.

So I am looking for advice from those of you who have lots of experience with different guns. How does the XDS .45 recoil compare to the M&P 9c? Does it make sense to change caliber size?

So I will be either getting a subcompact .45, like the XDS or a subcompact 9mm, like the Shield. Also I want to add I will be primarily IWB carrying what ever I get. No pocket carry for me. I can't stand anything in my pockets. My wallet and keys are bad enough. Even in loose cargo type pants.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    My XDS experience has been very good .Conceals well, the recoil of the .45 is surely there but it is not bad at all. You'll get opinions on several types and most do the job well. Shoot as many as you can ,that will work well for you.

I dont know where you live which is important somewhat . Only becasue some guns are banned in some state I know the p-11 and I think pf-9 are hard to get in CA and the CA shild version suckes something bad .

My adivice as someone who has gone though a few pocket/compact gun , one make sure you can stand not only to shoot it but to take it apart and clean it . Since you are used to the take down on the compact that is good I say get the shild . My shild was very hard to take down so a bit of firing would be needed to hopefully lossen it up a bit ( Ie it took me like 10 + tries to finally get the slid back on).

Also you may want to put a grip wrap or heaiver spring/rod in whatever gun you get it does help esp the wrap with jump

The pf9 is good cheep little gun and thin a good iwb/pocket gun.. That said if you want more rounds get the p-11 it takes s&w 59 or 69 mags so you can have 12-20+ rounds if you needed it .

Also I like the sig 238 or 938 they are heavy built guns so for me soft shooting .

Also if you like bretta they make a nice little 9mm the nano that I am thinking about trying next myslefe . That or the xds 9mm

Frankly small 9mm are very subject to the user I think

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    For a tucked-in Polo Shirt, I'd go with a PF9 or a M&P Shield in 9 or 40, same size.

PF9 weighs 12 oz & the Shields weigh 19 oz., both are under 0.95 in thick or less.
    The 12oz on a PF9 is unloaded weight. Loaded it's a hair under 16 oz. Both are deep conceal.
    Hank19119 and 5lima30ret like this.

Im no expert but here's my opinion. I prefer to carry a 45 acp but don't like anything less than a 4 inch barrel for 45 acp. It's a slow round to begin with and out of a 3 inch barrel might not reach proper terminal ballistics. For micro pistols with 3 inch barrels I would opt for a 9mm.

I EDC a commander length 45 acp 1911 but am thinking of getting a Springfield EMP in 9mm for occasions that dictate a smaller/lighter gun.

If you're wanting to stick with that size of a gun, I would go with a 9mm. You get a couple extra rounds and a gun that already has a limited round count.

VIP Member
    Have you bothered shooting either of the guns mentioned? Shoot them both and see which you shoot best, then go with it. Remember a 9mm COM will stop someone faster than a .45 in the arm!
    ExSoldier likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I love both... I have the M&P 9c and it's comfortable to carry... I just purchased the Glock 30s, which is a compact 45 auto. I looked at the XDS, but it was limited in rounds... I carry at times my S&W 1911 E series, which is 6+1 rounds, so I passed over the XDS and grabbed the G30s.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

I am a shield carrier. My EDC was a ruger sr40c which is the same size as your MP9C. By carrying the shield I lose one round in capacity, but I get a gun that literally disappears when i am carrying it. The shield 9mm is one os the easiest shooting guns I have owned or shot. If i were to carry a tiny 45 acp, it wouldbe an xds. The slim waste of a single stack is unbeatable, even if it means fewer rounds. In the end I think it depends on your preference. if you want capacity and concealability, get a shield ( 8+1). If you want raw power and concealability, get an XDs. Or if you want both , get one of each !!!!
    jake01, 40Cal365 and 40Bob like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Only Sub compact .45 I would consider is a Glock 30s. And that's mostly because of its capacity and Glock's solid reputation. Otherwise I'd go 9mm. I'm a big fan of having as many rounds as possible at the ready when the SHTF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I carry either caliber, but the .45's are friendlier with bigger guns. It can get difficult to double on a subcompact .45.

I have the XDs .45 and don't feel under gun, I have a 6 rds in the gun and carry an extra one or two 7 rds, if I need more than that I'm toast.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I like the idea of the XDs in 45ACP but the recall mess has kept me from buying one. I went the Shield route in 9mm and it was not for me. Wound up buying a Kahr CM9 and have finally found my deep concealment 9mm. Shoots like a larger pistol and is accurate to boot. As always many times these decisions boil down to personal preferences.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Yeah, the Kahr CM9 are an excellent hand gun I got mine XDs when people was just buying them I had mine now for about a year so when it came back I through about selling but with all of the money I put into this I know that I wouldn't make my money back. If I didn't have one after the recall chances I wouldn't have bought it but I'm okay with it now. I have now about 2000+ rds through it and would carry it with no problem. Since I got it back I've only put about 150 rds through it and I have another 350 rds to go before I put it back in my rotation carry but so far I'm loving it. If I didn't have the XDs I probably would have pick up the Glock .45.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links