The mystery of large .380 ACP pistols

This is a discussion on The mystery of large .380 ACP pistols within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This one has me scratching my head a little. The .380 ACP round is generally more anaemic than 9mm or other mainstream rounds. People who ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: The mystery of large .380 ACP pistols

This one has me scratching my head a little. The .380 ACP round is generally more anaemic than 9mm or other mainstream rounds. People who choose .380 make a conscious decision to give up some stopping power in return for a more compact package. The Ruger LCP, Taurus TCP, Beretta Pico, S&W bodyguard .380 are all great examples of ultra concealable guns. They melt into any pocket and vanish when hid anywhere else.

Then there's the Walter PPK and Bersa Thunder type guns. They're almost as big and sometimes heavier than sub compact 9mm pistols like the Glock 26, Ruger LC9 or Shield. They offer no real concealment advantage and at the same time penalize you on stopping power. With the diameter of the cartridge being the same as a 9mm, there's no capacity advantage either.

So begs the question: why choose a Bersa Thunder, Walter PPK or similar "big .380's"? Or even a Makarov with it's less powerful (but slightly better than .380 ACP) 9x18 round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    A larger gun is easier to shoot but still concealable. Also, I know one lady that went with a .380 because it was much easier for her to rack the slide. I believe this is because most of these .380's are blowback designs.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I think much of the .380 usage (9x17) is a carry-over from its 'European Standard' for so many years.

Now, it is just a minimal caliber, that can be optimized with modern propellents & bullet technology.
    Also, the Taurus TCP .380acp is the only pistol my wife can handle due to its recoil and 4 lb trigger with her severe arthritis.
    However, with 7 rounds of Critical Defense ammo, it is going to leave an awful mess as she 'will' dump the mag at close range.

At home, she keeps a 9mm with a wide, cushy, grip, nearby.
    dangerranger likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

los
    Don't let the small projectile fool you. The .380 ACP round has killed more people than Cecil B. Demille.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    If I remember the ballistic correctly, the 380 ACP out of a 3.5" + barrel gets close to the energy and velocity of a 38 +P out of a 4" barrel (at least in Winchester LE ammo). It was adopted in Europe by LE community as a defensive round. So while the 380 ACP has a disadvantage out of a 2" barrel, it is better than rocks as my back up! I do hate to carry a pocket of rocks and I can't hit anything with a slingshot!
    StormRhydr, Ghost1958 and fredg53 like this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Used to have a Beretta 85F. It was a sweet gun, looked sharp with the Beretta wood grips.

But it was as big as most 9s. It turned into a 1911.

They shoot nice, but if I'm going to carry a 380, it'll be a pocket gun. And my pockets are reserved for j frames.
    DetChris and Mdauben like this.

In some nations around the world, civilians are not allowed to have 9mm, as it is considered "too powerful" or a "military" round. Thus, the .380 in a large frame.

Some folks just like the lower felt recoil - hence the Ruger LC380, a lower recoil alternative to the otherwise similar LC9. And as mentioned, the recoil springs tend to be less stout, which can help those with weaker hand strength.
    StormRhydr, JMB, Mdauben and 2 others like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

If you are in the shot placement camp a large 380 might be the ticket.

If you are looking for fast follow up shots a large 380 might be the gun for you.

If you want low recoil a large 380 might fill the bill.

If you need an easy racking slide check out one of the larger 380s.

If there wasn't a viable market they would just fade away.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    This one has me scratching my head a little. The .380 ACP round is generally more anaemic than 9mm or other mainstream rounds. People who choose .380 make a conscious decision to give up some stopping power in return for a more compact package. The Ruger LCP, Taurus TCP, Beretta Pico, S&W bodyguard .380 are all great examples of ultra concealable guns. They melt into any pocket and vanish when hid anywhere else.

Then there's the Walter PPK and Bersa Thunder type guns. They're almost as big and sometimes heavier than sub compact 9mm pistols like the Glock 26, Ruger LC9 or Shield. They offer no real concealment advantage and at the same time penalize you on stopping power. With the diameter of the cartridge being the same as a 9mm, there's no capacity advantage either.

So begs the question: why choose a Bersa Thunder, Walter PPK or similar "big .380's"? Or even a Makarov with it's less powerful (but slightly better than .380 ACP) 9x18 round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most of us probably would consider the a PPK or a Bersa Thunder a small gun. Besides, the PPK and PPK/S are just cool, and there is certainly a place is this world for cool things...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Small guys and females shoot mid size framed .380s as well I as .22. IMO based on what I have seen.

If you can handle the .380 well and the 9mm and up are problematic it's a nice choice. IMO caliber is secondary to ability to fire accurate 2 and 3 shots.

Lighten Up Francis.
    DaveInEdmonds and hdhnict like this.

I bought my first handgun, a Sig P238 simply because it fit my hand, I could rack the slide easily and it's a joy to shoot. At my size any thing else is just too big. That saying I do have a S&W 357 revolver as a nightstand gun and a 20 gauge shotgun to go along with it.

Distinguished Member
    I have and carry the Bersa thunder 380. It's a great gun. It's reliable. It's accurate. I carry it in a shoulder holster by Security Gunner. The gun conceals very well. I have no issue with the gun or the caliber. Keep in mind the caliber is over 100 years old. It must be doing something right. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Ruger LCP - too snappy
    Taurus TCP - some have FTF problems
    Beretta Pico - not released yet
    S&W bodyguard .380 - Damn laser keeps breaking

I am currently pocket or IWB carrying a heavier Bersa Thunder 380CC which is smaller and lighter than the standard Thunder 380. It is my first CC gun and I do not recommend the blowback design as the recoil is harsher, thus negating the advantage of having a heavier pistol. Out of the box it had FTE problems, but I think the spring was too strong since it is more reliable now after the 200 round brake-in. Having 8+1 and a larger grip works for me until I can get ahold of a 9mm M&P Shield.

For many years, the .38 special and the .380 AP were the go to guns for self-defense. The .380 AP (9mm Browning or 9mm Kurtz), .38 special, the various 9mm, .38 super, .357 Sig, and .357 magnum all shoot basically the same bullet, just at different grains and muzzle velocities. They range from a 125 grain .38 special at under 800 fps to a 125 grain .357 magnum at 1700 fps. Some of the current .380 AP +P ammo has a decent amount of muzzle energy from a longer barreled pistol for someone who can't rack the slide on other larger caliber pistols. I prefer to go a silly millimeter larger to the 10mm.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I bought a Bersa 383A a long time ago. It is still my all time favorite pistol to shoot. It's my wife's favorite HG as well. It is the most out of the box accurate & reliable pistol I've ever owned or shot. (After years of use & thousands of rounds, it still performs flawlessly.)

-

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links