Looking at something different. Diamondback DB9 or Kel-Tec PF9

This is a discussion on Looking at something different. Diamondback DB9 or Kel-Tec PF9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been looking to add something a little different to the collection. Something different than your usual household names out there. I know very little about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Looking at something different. Diamondback DB9 or Kel-Tec PF9

Been looking to add something a little different to the collection. Something different than your usual household names out there. I know very little about these guns. I do not have the option of shooting either of them before purchasing. We have nowhere around here that does that. I can handle them. They both feel decent in their own way. I am wondering what experiences people have had with them, and what is the over-all quality of each firearm.

What I have seen and hear isthe db9 is a ok good either it works or it is one stept above a raven arms piece . You can not used +p in it ( the gun will expold ) also the reveiwer are ok but fincky about ammo In Which Your Correspondent Breaks his Diamondback DB9 | The Truth About Guns Diamondback DB9 and +P Ammo = Ka-boom! | The Truth About Guns and the early ones had issues with pins falling out .. But it does take down like a glock.

The pf9 can handl plus p ( I would hate to fire it based on how small the gun is ) Gun Review (Take Three): Kel-Tec PF9 | The Truth About Guns

I perosnal of the two would take neither and get the p-11 as I have a bunch of s&w 59 and 69 mags I can used in it .. But if of the two I would say depending on how easy to take down the pf9 is I would pick the pf9 as there seem to be more aftermakert support then the db9 and I have hear some off things about DB arms..

Also note the recoil of either is going to be very very sharp small plastic gun 9mm you get the pic. I am a bit of lightweight on recoil so I kind of like the 938 sig as it is all metal so that helps a bit with jump..

But I should not even talk I dont own either but have done a lot of reasceres into pocket 9 as I like them and own a few .. And as for gun reivews I dont trust most of them so you will proley find one half saying this is great the other saying the other thing.

Odd question though why these ? New carry gun or to collect? There are few weirder and rarer non name brand guns like the seecamps or the rohburg 9mm ( weird little things) and a few others .
    rugergunner likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    What I have seen and hear isthe db9 is a ok good either it works or it is one stept above a raven arms piece . You can not used +p in it ( the gun will expold ) also the reveiwer are ok but fincky about ammo In Which Your Correspondent Breaks his Diamondback DB9 | The Truth About Guns Diamondback DB9 and +P Ammo = Ka-boom! | The Truth About Guns and the early ones had issues with pins falling out .. But it does take down like a glock.

The pf9 can handl plus p ( I would hate to fire it based on how small the gun is ) Gun Review (Take Three): Kel-Tec PF9 | The Truth About Guns

I perosnal of the two would take neither and get the p-11 as I have a bunch of s&w 59 and 69 mags I can used in it .. But if of the two I would say depending on how easy to take down the pf9 is I would pick the pf9 as there seem to be more aftermakert support then the db9 and I have hear some off things about DB arms..

Also note the recoil of either is going to be very very sharp small plastic gun 9mm you get the pic. I am a bit of lightweight on recoil so I kind of like the 938 sig as it is all metal so that helps a bit with jump..

But I should not even talk I dont own either but have done a lot of reasceres into pocket 9 as I like them and own a few .. And as for gun reivews I dont trust most of them so you will proley find one half saying this is great the other saying the other thing.

Odd question though why these ? New carry gun or to collect? There are few weirder and rarer non name brand guns like the seecamps or the rohburg 9mm ( weird little things) and a few others .
    I dont want anything too odd. Just something thats not Glock, Ruger, Smith&Wesson, Springfield, ect. But I do not want to get too odd. I have piles of other guns. Just none of these.

The one DB9 I have shot eventually had a kaboom on the owner.

My PF9 was the bigget POS I have ever owned. It jammed too much to keep count.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    The one DB9 I have shot eventually had a kaboom on the owner.

My PF9 was the bigget POS I have ever owned. It jammed too much to keep count.
    Wonderful. Not what to get.. something still available at most gun stores.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Get a CZ
    Taurahe likes this.

I know a guy had to send his DB back because it had a smooth bore. No riflings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the $$$ and the patience, look into the Boberg XR9s. Or the Rohrbaugh R9.

With the former, you need to be concerned with bullet/case separation due to the unusual pull-back feed mechanism. With the latter, no +P and frequent recoil spring changes are de rigueur.

But they are different.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Way too much coin for me. my beloved M&P shield was a push for me and that was on sale for $429. $600 is the most I would spend on small pocket pistols like that.

The craftsman ship on the R9 is awesome. I would really like to see how they perform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fallhunter View Post
    Way too much coin for me. my beloved M&P shield was a push for me and that was on sale for $429. $600 is the most I would spend on small pocket pistols like that.

If you have an M&P Shield why do you feel the need for another gun similar in size ? As for the PF-9, that is my EDC and I'm quite comfortable with it's felt recoil, design, and reliability. I have run hundreds of rounds downrange with only one FTE. I have the money to go out and buy a Glock tomorrow but I do not see the need.
    Bottom line for me is the PF-9 works fine, the choice is yours.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I would suggest staying away from the DB9.
    Taurahe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I would suggest staying away from the DB9.
    This here... I know you wanted a preference of the two, but we would not be responsible forum members if we recommended you a bad choice. The DB9 seemed all around inferior in everyway compared to other guns of the same price point. I have never owned a keltecg but they seem to be a love it or hate it gun...no in between. If you want to add something different, have you considered a SCCY gen 2 9mm? slim, small and very discreet with excellent over all reviews, especially from forum members here, and they are very economically priced NIB. I have seen them go $350 out the door at several LGS. If I didnt already have a shield, I would be definitely looking at one. if it is between the two... PF9 all day long. Diamondback, from reading user reviews on both their handguns and AR's, just dont have the quality down compared to others. Hope this helps.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    This here... I know you wanted a preference of the two, but we would not be responsible forum members if we recommended you a bad choice. The DB9 seemed all around inferior in everyway compared to other guns of the same price point. I have never owned a keltecg but they seem to be a love it or hate it gun...no in between. If you want to add something different, have you considered a SCCY gen 2 9mm? slim, small and very discreet with excellent over all reviews, especially from forum members here, and they are very economically priced NIB. I have seen them go $350 out the door at several LGS. If I didnt already have a shield, I would be definitely looking at one. if it is between the two... PF9 all day long. Diamondback, from reading user reviews on both their handguns and AR's, just dont have the quality down compared to others. Hope this helps.
    I agree reference the SCCY. Mine has about 300 flawless rounds through it. I also have a standing invitation from Jason at Sccy industries for a tour through their Daytona facility.

Trooper Joe

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I have a PF-9 and I also have others including Glocks. The PF-9 serves as a pocket carry for me and works well for its intended purpose, to be carried a lot but not be a range gun. The SCCY-2 is another decent similar compact 9mm that you may want to check out. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links