Defensive carry revolver

Defensive carry revolver

This is a discussion on Defensive carry revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like my revolvers...I like the dependability of a revolver ,I like the 357 mag cartridge...and the ability to stagger loads .. I recently ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Defensive carry revolver

Defensive carry revolver

I really like my revolvers...I like the dependability of a revolver ,I like the 357 mag cartridge...and the ability to stagger loads ..

I recently purchased a couple of Defensive carry revolvers..a Dan Wesson 357 mag with a 3.5 inch barrel and a Taurus 66 357 mag 7 shot with a 4 inch barrel...I have other 357 mag revolvers ,,but I was looking for a 7 Shot 357 mag ..and right after I found the Taurus I stumbled on the Dan Wesson ,I've owned several Dan Wesson's in the past ..and several Taurus 357's but this is my first 7 Shot 66..I must say I'm pleased with both ..Both where pre -owned..But I'm certain the Taurus was only factory fired and the Dan Wesson looked as if was shot very very little ..It looked as if it was over oiled and the had dust settle on it ...really looked asif it had serious finish issues..but after a good cleaning it looks as new..

I have shot both ..very limited being that I've been ill used 38spl158 gr LRN shot both only 4x each ..with that load there was no noticeable recoil and both where on target.. I'm not a target shooter ..my targets are paper plates at 10,20 and 30ft ..SD shooting ranges..

I'll need to get it in alot more range time with these revolvers ..as my health hopefully continues to improve..
    I will most likely carry 125 gr. Remington 357 mag HP in them (if they shoot well with my favorite carry load) but I carry staggered loads ..first out he shoot will likely be Rem 158 gr 38+P LSWCHP
    I carry them in pancakes OWB..High and Tight
    If you guys and gals have a revolver that you consider a Defensive revolver ..I'd like to read about them and the defensive load you like and look at PICS...

My Photo hosting site is down and I have limited pics...

Is that a pisotle pack dan wesson?

And lock or no lock taurus . Any problems with it ? Been looking for a no lock one cheep as a bug gun

also nice holster

While I believe that most modern, well cared for auto pistols are as as reliable as any revolver. I personally carry a revolver for my basic CCW needs.
    Bad Bob likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

i've been looking at that taurus
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

VIP Member
    At one time I actually CC'd a S&W 686 SS .357 snubbie. It's awfully large for me to conceal, but I weighed more back then. Might try it again some time because it is fantastic out to 50 yards! My model 60 snub is fantastic too, but only for close up - to about 15 yards. However, if I would spend a lot more time shooting it I would probably find "it" would be accurate at longer distances.
    tdave and SIGP250 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I have missed shots in my time it was never the revolvers fault.

Senior Moderator
    What are the advantages of the staggered loads?

How will a person keep up with them and their delivery in the middle of a gunfight?
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Anybody that shies away from a good revolver doesn't know much about them.

Concur with Bryan. Why the staggered loads? I'd run 158 grainers straight and call her sound.

S&W 642. It's my very capable "filler" gun when I just don't have the attire flexibility or time to strap on my trusty Glocks. I shoot it very well and it's a great looking gun. Heirloom type stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    5lima30ret and savage99nc like this.

I carry my S&W 38 Centennial (2" barrel -5 shot ) with 158 grain +P JHP, especially in the summertime. It has the internal hammer, so you could pocket carry and it won't get hooked on your clothing. I also kept the original wooden grips, because they're smaller than the rubber grips and makes it easier to conceal. I wear it with a low riding IWB and a tucked in T-shirt and jeans. I just blouse my T-shirt a little and the gun becomes invisable.---Sturgis
    S&W 340 M&P .357
    S&W 640 and S&W 64 .38 Spl
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Nice old Dan Wesson (PorkChop model).

I keep Winchester Silvertips, 38Sp +P 125gr, in mine mostly. When I carry it, it is usually configured like this below in an old Don Hume H720 #7 paddle holster. 38's are a breeze in the Dan Wesson.

Do you know to look for "L" size holsters for the Dan Wesson? I ask because even Don Hume's own chart says to use a #1 for DW's, which is a "K" frame size. I remember another maker's chart saying the same thing but cannot recall who it was right now. It will not fit, DW 38 & 357Mag's are equal in size to S&W "L" frames.

...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

One of my favorite carry guns, is my Taurus 38 snob nose. I have a 357, but never used it for carry.
    NRA Member! Give an inch, they will take a yard.

All 7 shot Taurus 66's have a lock ...locks don't really bother me..I just don't use'em ..The DW is one that you can change the barrel.

All my semi center-fire pistols are very dependable ..most are Glocks and Ruger P series ..but there are more variables ,with a Semi

With Staggered loads the first round from the gun can be a more lower recoiling round ( but still a good defensive round) ,thus making a follow up shot quicker much quicker..

Yep the DW is considered a large frame ..so is the newer 7 shot Taurus 66's.. they both ride great in the holsters pictured above..

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with a revolver. I ran across a DW the other day. Price was $475. but only had the 1 barrel and did not come with the barrel wrench. Was still tempted until I noticed you had to force the cylinder closed to get it to lock in place. Passed on it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My main revolver and then my backup revolver. Wish I could find more older S&W revolvers at reasonable prices.

Backup and really accurate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links