Glock malfunctions!! Help!

This is a discussion on Glock malfunctions!! Help! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This will get a bit long and I apologize. Before we get started with what happened, let me preface with a few things; first, I'm ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Glock malfunctions!! Help!

This will get a bit long and I apologize. Before we get started with what happened, let me preface with a few things; first, I'm a Glock guy. Through and through I've trusted my Glocks more than any other firearms I've owned. Second, notice I said Glocks with an 's'. I've owned several Glocks, four 9mm ones, and this issue happened with my brand new gen 3 g26 (the second g26 I've owned). I mention this because this is a platform I'm familiar with, and shoot very regularly. What I'm getting at is, no I didn't limp wrist the gun, no I didn't ride the slide - just to rule the user errors out. Now on to the not so fun part of my day -

I just picked up another G26 as my primary edc gun after missing the one I sold. I opted for the gen 3 as I'm more accustomed to the gen 3s. To this point, I have NEVER had a Glock fail to do anything. Ever. Not even a hiccup, in any conditions, with any ammo. I too was a non-believer in the Glock 'issues'. Lol.

So I went out today with 200 rounds of 9mm, both 115 grain fmj (100 of which was federal champion, the other 100 PMC bronze).

I decided to shoot the federal first, as I have probably shot more federal in my guns than anything. The very first clambering of a round immediately failed to feed. I pulled back the slide and let fly - no riding whatsoever. After clearing the jam, I proceeded to shoot through the rest of the factory 10 round mag. Around round 8, it failed to feed yet again. So I cleared the pistol and checked both the rounds that failed to feed. This is what I found;

The brass was bent horribly from snagging presumably on the feed ramp on both cartridges.

Worried, I fieldstripped and checked the feed ramp out on more detail; nothing out of the ordinary. I shot the rest of the federal up, it all fed, but the remaining spent brass did have slight flat spots and bends although no where near as severe as the first picture.

Let me also say, these flat spots may be normal for all I know? I've never actually collected and studied brass from anything but my revolvers (and only then because my father in law reloads .38/.357). Also, some people complain of more recent build Glocks having brass to face issues - well mine had brass to FREAKING EVERYWHERE issues. Nothing about it was consistent. Again with Federal ammo.

So disappointed very much, I moved on to my PMC bronze. Fired a couple mags through - not a single hitch. Fed reliably, and ejected to the exact same spot every single time. Except - it wasn't ejecting with much authority so much as it was kind of letting them out gently. I can only liken it to throwing a baseball with the wrong hand - the brass was escaping, but you could tell it wasn't with the same force. I was getting frustrated and it was getting late, so I only shot a few of the PMC. The last magazine I shot I put through it at a more rapid pace, very quick double taps mainly. And after the last round, the gun returned to battery and didn't hold open. After that I packed it in for the day.

I just broke it down again, the feed ramp definitely doesn't appear to have any abnormalities and is quite smooth

Also, there are no discernible differences/ glaring problems that I can see with the magazines.

So now I come to you guys begging, what is wrong with this damn thing? Is it ammo related? Magazine? Something else I should check for? Shooting I love, but I'm no gunsmith or ammo connoisseur like many of you folks.

I'm really down about it, for the first time in my life I can honestly say I don't trust my Glock. Something I never thought would happen after thousands of rounds through my other Glocks I've had.

MJK
    From your description it appears as though the rounds were defective before they were chambered.

Did you inspect the ammunition a priori?
    maxwell97, Bad Bob and StormRhydr like this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

This is obviously a hoax thread. Ask about anyone that owns a Glock and they will tell you they do not fail, always function perfectly even immersed in tar, and taste great to boot if you need a pick me up so you can just nibble a piece off the grip for energy.
    You dont have to believe a train is coming. Itll run over you anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

MJK may be correct. Ammo could have been out of spec. to begin with. With everyone upping their production to maximum I have seen some very strange ammo posts on many boards since the panic.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

The first pictures of the ammo does make me wonder if he ammo was bad. Specifically if the bullets were seated properly. I think the ammo companies are trying to put stuff out fast, just like the gun makers so reasonable to suspect there quality control may have slipped.

Second picture of brass case looks like weak ejection with end of case hitting ejection port as it goes out.

I have read of a lot of problems with the recent glock extractors, (Metal injected molded or MIM, I have heard) esp those that have some kind of "dip", but have never seen one or shot one with this condition.

Also possible that ammo is a bit under powered. And you do have a new pistol with new, strong recoil spring. As recoil spring takes a set the problem of weak ejection may not be as bad. Also more powerful self defense ammo may also help in this regard.

My suggestions are:

1. clean pistol well, I would detail strip slide and clean with non chlorinated brake cleaner. Maybe some crud or stuff from manufacturing process.

2. inspect each round visually and place in chamber - take barrel from gun.

3. Lock slide back when not in use for a week or so to let recoil spring take its initial set.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    MJK may be correct. Ammo could have been out of spec. to begin with. With everyone upping their production to maximum I have seen some very strange ammo posts on many boards since the panic.
    Not long ago I jammed up my Beretta 92 with a defective 124 grain Speer Lawman. I've never before had even one problem with this stuff. The round was fed about half way into the chamber and could be neither completely chambered nor extracted. I had to manually free the extractor, disassemble the gun and use needle nose pliers to twist the round out. Inspection revealed a defect that looked a bit like a wrinkle in the casing that put the thing out of spec enough to cause this jam. I had failed to inspect my range ammo before loading magazines. Lesson learned. I can't say something like this happened to the OP but there is the possibility.

My guess is ammo related. I'd buy some more ammo and try again to see what happens. Inspect the rounds for obvious defects before you load them. If you have a problem, set that magazine aside and mark it in a way so it can be checked later.
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member
    Get rid of the Glocks and get a Hi-Point. They go bang every time!!

(Always wanted to do that!!!!)

Seriously, did you check the ammo as you loaded the magazines? It appears they might have been defective from the factory. Wouldn't be the first time machinery malfunctioned and wasn't caught. I'd fire another 50-100 rounds (making sure to inspect them first) to see if it continues to happen. If it does, send it back to Glock. If not, good to go.
    WrongRecroom and Echo_Four like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    It is unlikely that only the two rounds shown were defective and just happened to go into the gun when first loaded, together. I have never seen this in any gun much less a Glock. That being said, it's just a machine, and any machine can be defective in some way. Something is going on with the gun I think because you said the slide returned to battery when empty, shouldn't do that either. Send it back to Glock with the ammo and a description of what it did. You can rest assured they will get to the bottom of it, fix it, or replace it with a new gun. That's all we can expect from any manufacturer.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I have to agree that rounds as flawed as those shown in the OP's picture probably would not have chambered in the first place.

VIP Member
    Defective mags have been the source of the only Glock troubles I have ever experienced. More precisely, one mag. Those troubles were similar to the ones you described. As for the ejected brass, any variation between shots will cause variation to where the brass flies.
    Automatic likes this.
    "I'm set up to play a game right now. However, I doubt most people would want to get into a gun fight with me."

Rob Leatham

VIP Member
    Don't blame the ammo first. It probably fires just fine in another pistol. Have you tried that?

As for the Glock, I think you bought someone else's problems. Sounds like a Glock "expert" might have messed with the recoil spring. Are you using a standard factory Glock magazine? Have you tried a different Mag? Both are two common reasons for FTF's.

BTY, why did you trade your first Glock 26?
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I would bet money that those cases were either off center, or improperly belled prior to seating the bullet.
    I have done it at home while handloading in the past.

Those rounds are factory defective, plain as day. Your gun did not, could not do that.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I would bet money that those cases were either off center, or improperly belled prior to seating the bullet.
    I have done it at home while handloading in the past.

Those rounds are factory defective, plain as day. Your gun did not, could not do that.
    This was the same thing I was thinking. I fully expected to read that these were reloads.

I think I remember watching a youtube video from Hickock45 once and he fired a bunch of different types of ammo through a Glock and the only type that failed were Federal Champion ammo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links