Caliber: .45 ACP/ Type of Gun: I want a 1911 but...

This is a discussion on Caliber: .45 ACP/ Type of Gun: I want a 1911 but... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExaltedOne I want a 1911 but... I'm hesitant about getting one. I'm looking at the RIA 1911 Tactical 2011 with full length ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Caliber: .45 ACP/ Type of Gun: I want a 1911 but...

Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    I want a 1911 but... I'm hesitant about getting one.

I'm looking at the RIA 1911 Tactical 2011 with full length rail. My second option is the M&P 45.
    One typically buys a 1911 for its trigger. Don't be surprised if S&W modifies their triggers even more at the next SHOT show. Getting acclimated to the numerous 1911 safeties will probably take time and dedication.

Since the RIA Tact has a 5" barrel it will probably be primarily used for the range and HD. It is a $500 sidearm, priced about the same as the M&P. As a range weapon you'll probably want to only shoot ball ammo and use GI mags with the follower dimple.

1911 check: 1911 Buyers Guide, how to not get ripped off. - YouTube

You might like the M&P 45 #109106 - no mag safety and has a thumb safety; 4.5" barrel and 5.5" high; just a little higher than the 1911. Usually 1911ers like thumb safeties, Glockers usually don't; M&Ps can accommodate both. Just don't expect the M&P to have the feel of a 1911 trigger. It, like the Glock, can be improved, though, with aftermarket triggers. But chances are that it still won't feel as good as a 1911 trigger. A tricked out 1911 trigger? Forgetaboutit.
    If you're used to a striker fire don't be surprised, literally, if it feels as if it is going off all by itself. Yeah, don't be surprised that you will be surprised and shocked. Load a single bullet in the mag, then fire it, then 2 in the mag and fire it, then 3 in the mag and fire it, increasing the mag capacity by one until you can empty a whole mag. Just to be safe.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    RIA are made with cast slides and frames............you get what you pay for.
    This full custom was built from the ground up on a cast frame from Caspian.

I definitely got what I paid for.
    Tundra5.7, OD*, Cuda66 and 1 others like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I bought a Rock Island Armory 1911 in 10mm. It was very tight, reliable, and accurate. It was flawless through several hundred rounds. It was a great gun with a lifetime warranty. I would recommend one as an entry level 1911 to se if you like the 1911. The only reason I sold it was to make room in my save for a new Colt Delta Elite. I am at the point that I have to sell a gun if I buy a gun. I refuse to buy a second safe because that would lead to safe number three and number four.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Since you haven't decided on a .45 platform yet, strongly consider the Glock 21 or 30. They are quite possibly the most reliable, softest recoiling and most accurate .45's you could ever own.

There are lotsa tradeoffs.
    Size, shape, weight, capacity, barrel length...

It's true that the 45ACP Glock 21 and Glock 30 are very soft-recoiling, in fact the G30 is the softest-recoiling 45ACP handgun I've ever shot, including the HK 45ACP models and the 1911, even lighter than the G21, if that's possible.

Both the G21 and G30 are also thoroughly reliable IME, at least in the gen 3 models. (I have no direct experience of any of the gen 4 Glocks.) Both are also quite acceptably accurate and precise.

OTOH, the G21 has a fairly hefty grip, however (wide & deep compared to the 1911), and is inconvenient to carry concealed, though IMNSHO it makes an excellent home defense gun, when paired with an attached white light source.

The G30 grip is better than the G21, though still fat compared to the 1911. I carried a gen 3 G30 for years, always OWB because of the wide blocky slide.

While the G21 barrel is shorter than that of the standard 1911, and the G30 is of course shorter yet, it should be mentioned that the velocity loss with shorter barrels is proportionately less for the 45ACP than it is for the 9mm, and would probably matter little in a self-protection context.

Fully-loaded capacities for the G21 and G30 are 14 and 11, respectively, compared to 8-9 for the 1911.
    OTOH, spare flat 1911 magazines are a cinch to carry, while the Glock mags are quite bulky.

There's a lot of difference in the trigger "feel" for Glocks vs. 1911s.
    How important that difference is will vary from shooter to shooter, but experience with both types is recommended before buying, to the prospective "first 1911" purchaser.

Nowadays I find a lightweight Colt Gunsite CCO 1911 easier to carry concealed, in IWB mode, than either the G21 or G30, and certainly the 1911 grip is the best one out there among currently available 45ACP pistols, as far as I'm aware.

(I'd mention the G36 too, but IME, it's insufficiently reliable for serious consideration as a CCW gun, in spite of the advantages of its slimmer profile and lighter weight. YMMV, of course.)

I haven't shot any of the S&W M&P or SA XD models in 45ACP, though I've heard good reports from those who have.
    Humani nihil alienum

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    OK, Im seriously considering my first 1911. I carry a Beretta PX4 on duty, a Kahr CM9 & Glock 27 concealed, and use the Glock 30 and Glock 17 for home defense/vehicle gun. How hard will the transition be switching from a 1911 to my Glocks and Beretta? I have had plenty of experience with good triggers on bolt rifles and hunting revolvers, just not had a lot of trigger time on 1911's.

Anyone here have experience with the Ruger SR1911? How does it compare to the SA Mil-Spec?
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I am a believer in the G 36, and truly don't understand the statement above.
    I have found that it is a very accurate and very reliable handgun. No different from any other Glock, just 45acp.
    My EDC choice.
    Last edited by glockcoma; December 25th, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
    5lima30ret likes this.

I'am also looking for my first entry level 1911 and have been looking at the Tisas Zig M made in Turkey. A friend of mine bought one a few months ago and loves it and the $400 price is a great value. I own a TriStar L120 CZ 75 clone also made in Turkey by Canik and it is a very good gun.

Tisas 1911.jpg
    Last edited by tdw63; December 25th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    This full custom was built from the ground up on a cast frame from Caspian.
    I definitely got what I paid for.
    Just like MIM - it's not the material or the process, it's the total product, from design up. For those who "cast" aspersions on cast frames and slide, consider that Ruger is a master of investment cast stainless steels, with an excellent track record for their guns' durability.
    deadguy, OD* and bmcgilvray like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by glockcoma View Post
    I am a believer in the G 36, and truly don't understand the statement above.
    I have found that it is a very accurate and very reliable handgun.
    My EDC choice.
    No worries glockcoma, as I said, YMMV.
    Some folks with recent G36s seem to have no troubles at all.

I have had two G36s ever since they first came out, so they're of early manufacture (when the troubles were first reported), and cannot go very far over 100 consecutive rounds without having either a FTRTB or FTE, in spite of multiple recoil spring changes (stock, higher/lower poundage), higher power extractor depressor plunger springs, proper lubrication, and a good strong hold.

They'd be great CCW guns if they were thoroughly reliable, but mine aren't, though it sounds like your gun is just fine.
    Humani nihil alienum

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Give ya one guess as to my recommendation. Can't go wrong with a Kimber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    I have owned two Colts purchased new going on 30 years. They required work to shoot anything but hardball reliably and I fell in the trap that the design needed altering.
    Guess I was lucky, my Colts ran very good and I forgot my 10mm did too!
    OD* likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Guess I was lucky, my Colts ran very good and I forgot my 10mm did too!
    Guess I was lucky too. I have a 1913 produced Colt M1911, a 1940 produced Colt M1911A1 and a 1950 Government Model, all with stock factory barrels, none have ever choked on hollow points.
    SatCong and deadguy like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I have been looking at 1911 style pistols again myself just lately. I'm sort of liking the Para Ordinance USA Expert for less than $600. Same shop has a RIA Tactical II FS for $550 and the trigger on that is pretty sweet and adjustable. I kind of like the full length guide rod and ambi thumb safeties also....but. Springfields seem hard to find around here. Anyways......the number of parts and breaking down a mil-spec or clone of a 1911 isn't really a big deal. Last time I had a hankerin for another 1911, I ended up with a SIG P220 SAO and that is one sweet pistol. You can actually chamber a round by racking the slide with the thumb safety engaged.
    In today's world with the lighter, polymer, aluminum and alloy frames, I just feel the need to hold another 1911 that is all steel. I clean and maintain all of my firearms the same way. Don't make a difference if it's more metal and you need a diagram to take down and put 36 parts in a ziploc bag to keep from loosing them, or a Glock that breaks down into four parts. To me, the basic mil spec 1911 is the ideal pistol for the 45ACP even though I don't currently own one.
    The M&P? Well, I'd rather go with an XD if I had to.
    Magazines and problems? Well, a lot of pistol problems are the result of magazines or ammo unless you get a Glock. They don't have any problems but they may blow up. Back in the day I had an old Colt and I bought a Norinco 1911A1 when they first came out. I used to hit the Army surplus store on my way home from work every week and had some 30+ surplus magazines. They were $6-$8 each depending on condition. Some had rust and they were obviously used. The followers were not all exactly the same batch to batch either. But I had very few culls out of what I had collected, and when one started to malfunction, I simply removed the bad part and threw it away. Then I had a box of spare magazine parts. Sometimes all I needed to do was bend the feed lips back into shape to make a malfunctioning mag work fine. I am however a big fan of the Wilson Combat magazines for the 1911.
    The rail on the newer 1911 offerings is a nice addition, but not really necessary. One usually buys a pistol with a specific purpose in mind. If it's strictly home defense, then it should have a rail for a light or laser combo. For carry, not really important. I know a lot of folks just like to buy pistols with no intentions of a specific task.
    The cost of a decent 1911 these days? That pretty much depends on your thoughts of 'decent'. One basically needs something dependable and reliable, and something that won't break after 500 rounds. If it's just a range pistol to make holes and go bang, you can save some money. So....the $575-$2000. Now, you have to remember you'll need to feed this new habit. Guns don't work without ammo, and now is not the best of times to work your way into a new caliber! If you're a collector, you're not buying something reasonably priced anyway. Kimbers and Wilson Combat are at the high end of the list. It's just that I could never see spending a possible 1K rounds just to break one in. Damn if ammo isn't hard to find and more expensive than ever when you can find it. 45ACP will likely cost you $50 per hundred now. Right out of the box, the lower end 1911s are going to work well for you with good ammo and the factory magazines. It's just that what you feed them and how you care for them will pretty much dictate how long they'll last and how long it will be before you experience malfunctions. None of the modern plastic pistols are going to give you the feel of a 1911, but you won't have to worry about much and all of them fit into the budget category. It all depends on what you really want.
    Carry means carry. That means all of the time. If you don't, you're just kidding yourself and opening up options for someone to take you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    How hard will the transition be switching from a 1911 to my Glocks and Beretta?
    You know how easy it is to remove the slide on your Glock? You line up the marks, pull the take down levers and remove the slide? Kiss that goodbye. You know how the Glock trigger safety bangs against your finger after firing? Kiss that feeling goodbye. Know how you can completely take apart your Glock in seconds? Kiss that goodbye. Forget about being your own gunsmith.

It's just a different platform. You will form a different mindset. You should be able to adapt. I tend to think that Glocks tend to foster a cavalier attitude, so you may have to get rid of some bad habits, if you have any. For example, pulling the trigger to field strip a pistol is anathema to the 1911er. The habit of pulling that trigger may make some un-attentive, dull. To the Glocker putting a hammer down by pulling the trigger is usually very disconcerting. Those that have been around revolvers probably don't think twice when doing so. They know that the hammer is being put down on a live shell. The difference is that while the 1911er may know that he is putting the hammer down on an empty "chamber" he still treats it like it is always loaded. At least I do. I CAN'T pull the trigger unless I know that there's a snap cap in there. And I will probably check at least three times before doing so. Like I said, a different mindset. ymmv. BTW, I just can't ever own a de-cocker pistol for the same reason. I will have to train to push the de-cocker while it is pointed at the ground and not push it while it is on it's arc into my holster. That's one bad habit that I would have to break. Flipping on the thumb safety while it's on it's way to my holster? I have no problem with it because I'm confident (always aware) that my trigger finger is out of the trigger guard. De-cockers blow my mind. I just don't trust them. Obviously someone who is confident with a de-cocker doesn't see the big deal. I don't do slide mounted safeties. I don't want to confuse my muscle memory. You will have to form new muscle memories for engaging/not dis-engaging 1911 thumb and grip safeties.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    You can hear anything in these forums other than a good prayer. The 1911 has not been a favorite for over 100 years because it was not reliable or durable. When you listen to the naysayers, you can bet they are young and raised on Glocks. Yet you will not hear Glock owners talk about the Glock Kaboom and other failures.

A 1911 is one of the most sought after guns in the market. I have trained many people on the 1911 that preferred other brands but once skilled with a 1911 began carrying them for SD and LE work.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links