The unsung Hero! Often used and capable,but forgotten.

This is a discussion on The unsung Hero! Often used and capable,but forgotten. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The low tech wheelgun snubnose used often with out the glamour of the wonder auto,s. But when it comes to protection 24/7 the snubby is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The unsung Hero! Often used and capable,but forgotten.

The low tech wheelgun snubnose used often with out the glamour of the wonder auto,s. But when it comes to protection 24/7 the snubby is the bread butter tool that serves and protects with reliable firepower in potent cals. In the pocket on the belt or nitestand you are hard pressed to find fault with the unsung hero the snubby when it comes time to save your bacon. It does not make a fashion statement,but it does full fill its job as a CCW tool 24/7!

Senior Moderator
    I agree it is my #1 carry and revolvers are my and my wifes primary home defense guns (well at least to get us to the shotgun)

Administrator

Thumbs up

The snubbie/wheelie has a couple of limitations but, it's hard to beat for most general - quick and no bs - self-defense apps.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    IMO a small light snubbie is like a piece of pipe,in that,when you pick it up it's ready to be used.Without anything else to do to it.

It does not take an awful lot of training to get profecient with. Cost of weapon,carry ammo,and practice ammo is cheap. Recoil is also manageable by any trained shooter. All the forementioned things is the primary reasons that I always reccommend the weapon be in .38 Special or 9mm(or 32H&R Mag).

I feel that a snub is an excellent choice for CC or "first to go to" home defense. -----

Well put, both my wife and I employ CCW w/ snubbies. We have considered other whiz-bang small pocket rockets like the P3AT (we even bought a pair) but the snubbies continue to be the ones we carry. I even prefer shooting the wheelgun to the P3AT. Of course, with larger semi-autos the nod goes to the larger more easily controllable pistols.

Capacity may be largest issue...

Fowler's recent posts indicate a great affection for the snubnose revolver. I share that sentiment myself.

I have seen numerous discussions of the pros and cons of revolvers compared to semiautos, and each style of gun has its supporters. But to my mind, the biggest issue separating the two types is that of ammunition capacity. Most compact revolvers suitable for carry are in the 5 to 7 round capacity range, while compact semiautos generally go from 7 to 16 rounds.

Those who favor revolvers are usually of the opinion that most civilian CCW encounters will be resolved in 0 to 3 shots, and the chances of needing more than 5 or 6 are quite remote. The higher capacity semiauto fans take the view that one should be prepared to deal with multiple attackers, a high proportion of missed shots and the chance of an extended gunfight lasting for some time.

I don't know which is the correct view, but the two extremes always provide for a lively debate.

Senior Moderator
    Pogo you brought up some good points on the snubbie auto debate.

I carry a snubbie becuase I don't want to worry about jams while I am pooping my pants in a CCW situation.

My wifes like revolvers becuase of the simplicty. I do have autos and carry them occasionly and compete IDPA with Tuarus PT92.

But in the middle of the night coming fast awake from a deep sleep I want "piece of pipe" as RSSZ put it for the exact same reasons.

Ammo capaicity doesn't do me any good if I can't get the extra rounds down range.

A gent I know refers to his .45 as his primary carry but his J-frame BUG is his "Get off me!" gun.

Funny, I've got the same combo.......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I don't carry one, at the moment, but I have a soft spot for a good revolver. As someone said earlier, they are about as reliable as a lead pipe, and not a whole lot more complicated. Simplicity in any machine is a virtue.

I prefer semi autos right now. Most revolvers are very reliable, but when one malfunctions it seems to be a serious malfunction. As somebody posted on another board. "When a revolver goes down they go down hard. That require a trip back to the factory or gunsmith for repair."

VIP Member
    I never feel under-armed or ill-prepared if I'm carrying my Colt SF-VI, primary or back-up. It is one of many options I carry based upon the circumstances.

My primary carry is a 1911 but for quick trips to the dumpster or mailbox (or when I just need something smaller) I'll drop the J-frame in my pocket with a speedstrip and I'm out the door. They're too damned handy not to own one - in fact, I'd like to eventually get a couple more.
    Jack

VIP Member
    I have 2 revolvers. A S&W 64-3 4inch barrel, and a 642. I love them both and carry the 642. I did have the 64-3 jam on me once. The trigger wouldnt pull. I did some research on the net and found that a small piece of spent gunpowder can get jammed behind the star on the cylinder keeping it from seating like it needs to..Something lots of people may not be aware of. But its rare to happen. I still love my wheelies/

LaP
    I agree with SUNSET. My wife and I both carry J frame 642s. She's more comfortable with the ease of use that the revolver offers. I kind of like that aspect also. Loaded with Gold Dots or Golden Sabers a little snub nose can be a real life saver!

Yes the snubby makes alot of CCW sense. My alltime favirite snub is the M-66 2.5" 357 mag. roundbutt. But its not a pocket J-frame. It goes pancake as a primary. with two speedloaders and a MTD 18 shot ammo wallet. This is loaded for bear and what ever life throws at you. And lets hope it never rains that hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links