info on beretta 92

info on beretta 92

This is a discussion on info on beretta 92 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so I am considering buying a Beretta 92f and wanted to get a little more info on them before I buy. basically I just want ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By skipper1969
  • 4 Post By grbr
  • 1 Post By the6shooter
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four
  • 1 Post By ripley16

Thread: info on beretta 92

info on beretta 92

so I am considering buying a Beretta 92f and wanted to get a little more info on them before I buy. basically I just want to hear some experiences, tips, and need to know kind of things. this will be my first Beretta and I will be buying it used from J&G sales. Also I would like to know what the difference is between the F and the FS?
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

The 92FS has an enlarged hammer pin to prevent the slide from leaving the frame in the event of a catastrophic failure. I carried the M9 and taught it for several years. It is large for what it is. There is no better slide to frame slickness/smoothness in any combat handgun. They don't respond well to being run dry.

FS added a couple safety things and improvements to the slide, etc. Among them the whole "slide flies off and hits you" thing (which was blown out of proportion anyway, those were 92's that were used for like 50k rounds of over-hot ammo with no maintenance) was made so that even if the slide breaks it can't fly that direction. Basically there's only improvements on the FS, don't bother with the F, there's no advantage to it.

As for mine: fantastic. Uncomfortable as heck to hold until I put some good hogue grips on it, but now it's one of the most comfortable holding pistols I have (big difference). I don't know how many rounds I have through mine, but I've shot everything from all sorts of hollow points to crappy wolf ammo and everything in between. Never ever ever had a single failure of any kind. And I don't even mean failure free except for "failures attributed to ammo (bad ammo) or shooter (limp wrist)". I mean none. Zero. All ammo, all shooters, etc. I couldn't make it fail if I tried. Dirty, clean, whatever. If you pull the trigger and there's ammo in it...it'll fire and that's all there is to it. Granted, I hear if you don't lube it for a couple thousand rounds then you can get it to fail...but I'm ok with a gun requiring once-in-a-blue-moon maintenance in order to fire. I clean mine every time I use it anyway.

Factory mags are great, but either get the factory 90-two mags (they go fine in 92FS and hold 17 rounds instead of the 92FS standard 15) or even better yet the mec-gar mags (18 rounds and actually have a smaller base plate than the 17 round 90-two mags).

Some people complain about the double action trigger...but I've never understood that. The whole point of a double action trigger is to be longer and harder to pull, so why would you get a double action then complain that it's longer or harder to pull on double action mode? It's perfectly smooth, which is what really affects double action accuracy. So it's a good trigger. The distance from grip to trigger is kinda big though, I'd recommend holding one and dry firing in double action to make sure it works for your hands. If it does though...get it.

Basically...it's the best pistol I own. Only problem is it's a real pain to conceal. 1911's are a dream to conceal by comparison. 92 is a big handgun. Expect to spend serious dough on a holster if you want to conceal it. It ain't gonna conceal with a cheapo uncle mike's, that's for sure. I had to custom make my own holster to get it to conceal OK.

Get it great gun. If you can get a older one with all metal parts even better pre 2000 from wiki ( but agian no worries you can swap them all out if needed).

I am currently planning on getting the compact version that holds 13 round to go with it .

I normal have 20 round mags in mine ( the mag are the same as the mecgear 18 rounders but just a base plate add on) .. It is by far one of the easiest guns to take apart up there and at or more then glock easy .. Plus it is neat that you can load a round by hand and used it without a mag

My only and only complaint is that the sights are pinned on it so you have to drill them out to put nights sights . But there are company that do it for not too much.. And there is no front rail but again I never used the one I have so no biggie and they make railed gun

It is a gun that I would never sell . Beretta sells a spare parts kit that has all the parts you need to keep it going for a long time and they sell a very nice 22lr conversion ( very fancy)

Put it like this I like brettas great underrated guns heck the companie is the oldest never closed gun marker in the world so they are doing something OK .

Plus if you get a 92 there are at least 3 rifles that take the same mags ( the sub2000/9 the storm rifle and the new m-1 carbine clone)

I watched too many 80s movie ( Die hard , Leahal weapon) I guess I kind of love the shape and line s

The compliment you read about these come from three thing imop:

1. The slide issues from what I have read one the fs fixed that and b the ones that did go had a crap ton of rounds down them so ..
    2. The lack of firepower power was that they could not used HP ammo we can
    3. Reliability was from crap check mark lowest bidder mags. Use factory or mec gear and it is golden

And of course the best part is the gun can be used easily to club small game if needed prob seals too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_92

It is not a small gun though but it is a great OWB/sholder gun I mean can you beat 20 rounds with a near flush mag?

I have a nice galco owb for it right now saving up for good sholder rig

It has a very smoth action and slide imop.

okay great thanks for the responses! after reading what i have i will probably shell out the extra $30 for the FS
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

I have the M-9 commercial, and love it.Berretta M9.jpg
    rugerdude12 likes this.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Had several over the years. Carried 'em for work and pleasure. Never had even a slight problem with any of them. Kinda on the large side but that never bothered me. When transitioning my wife to a large capacity 9mm I let her shoot it, among other 9's thinking," She won't want my 92, it's too big for her". WRONG, she loved it and shot it well so now it's hers.

You shoud be well satisfied. It is a very reliable, safe, durable weapon thet should give you a lifetime of normal use.

BTW, they are just sexy guns !!

I have a 92FS INOX that I bought 2 years ago for $400. Came with case, papers and everything. I swear, it looked as though the previous owner never even fired it. I have and I love it! Well, I shoot it when I can get it away from my 15 year old at the range.

Oh, one more thing. It came with the Hogue grips....they are a must have item!
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

I put the wood Beretta grips on mine. Kinda dressed it up some.

If you run 'em wet, they run good. As stated above, they are all kinds of big. But they'll run forever if you take care of them.

JMB
    If you learn to operate the DA/SA trigger they can be a great pistol. Soft shooting and accurate.

I own two Beretta 92's and they are great guns - hard to conceal, but certainly not impossible. My son "borrowed" my stainless steel 92 ten years ago and "forgot" to give it back to me. That is why I got a second 92. They really are great guns.

VIP Member
    I have a 92fs on me right now. It is a toss up whether this or the Sig 228 is my favorite da/sa pistol. It is one of the guns I believe all gun guys should own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
    ugh762x39 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I've had one for years that I enjoy shooting but don't actually shoot much. The best thing I ever did was spend $40 to have a 21 lb 1911 spring installed to replace the stock trigger spring. It reduced the DA travel about 50%, improved reset (quicker and better), and reduced the trigger pull weight by about 1/3. That simple changed reduced the size of my groups by ~50%. It's reliable and very shootable. My daughter shoots it the most now and loves it.

Well, I just finished the trigger job on my 92fs...

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Great design, very reliable, accurate and robust. Can't go wrong. Smoothest action I've yet used... feels like greased butter.
    Goldy49 likes this.

Arguably one the THE WORLD'S FINEST fighting handguns. In fact, several of the more notable 1911-shooting action pistol competitors pick the 92 among their personal defensive EDCs. Never hear a negative 92 mumble about ANYTHING, except perhaps the "wrong" direction of the slide mounted thumb safety. If I wasn't such a Hi-Power fan (snob?) I would carry a 92 in a short second.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sponsored Links