Sig Sauer P239 9mm Range Report (Image-Intensive)

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P239 9mm Range Report (Image-Intensive) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I promised you all a range report on the Sig Sauer P239 chambered in 9mm, and here it is! Manufacturer's Specs: Caliber : 9mm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P239 9mm Range Report (Image-Intensive)

Sig Sauer P239 9mm Range Report (Image-Intensive)

So, I promised you all a range report on the Sig Sauer P239 chambered in 9mm, and here it is!

Manufacturer's Specs:
    Caliber: 9mm / 357 SIG, .40 S&W
    Trigger Pull DA/SA: 10.0 lbs, 4.5 lbs
    Overall Length: 6.6 inches
    Overall Height: 5.1 inches / 5.2 inches
    Overall Width: 1.2 inches
    Barrel Length: 3.6 inches
    Mag Weight: 2.3 oz / 2.4 oz
    Sight Radius: 5.2 inches
    Sights: Contrast
    Mag Capacity: 8 / 7
    Available Finish: Nitron, Two Tone
    Grips: Polymer
    MSRP: $739

NOTE: For the purposes of this report, slow fire is defined as shots taken at least 2 seconds apart, and rapid fire is defined as shots taken approximately 1/2 second apart or less. All shots were taken from either the Weaver, or modified Weaver stance.

I picked up Razorblade in the morning and headed off to the NRA range in Fairfax, Va. The NRA range has apparently had a change in policy, and no longer allow photography on the range, so I wasn't able to get any "action" shots, but I managed to pick up on the results after the fact.

Quick summary: This thing is a beast. Accurate right out of the box (I love that!), at 7 yards (the only range I shot at today), it has nice groupings, a terrific feel, and not one FTF or FTE. I started off by running 4 8-rd. magazines of WWB 115 gr. FMJ through it. DA/SA is new to me, and you can tell from the target - I ended up dropping my first shot, as I'm still getting used to the double-action trigger pull. Do not let that fool you, as you can see the follow up shots are nice and tight:

Rolling round count: 32 9mm FMJ

Recoil is practically nonexistent, due to the caliber of round (I've only ever owned .45 ACP, and last fired a 9mm years ago), the addition of the Hogue grips, and the weight of the weapon (solid, but not unbearably heavy).

From there, I moved onto practicing my double action pull, as I was dropping shots badly. For me, it wasn't a recoil anticipation problem, but rather, I believe the long and heavy trigger pull of the first round led me to believe I was raising the muzzle up, so I would subconsciously tilt the weapon forward to compensate. At the end of 4 magazines of mainly DA shots (I'm sure a few SA shots slipped in there ), here is my result:

Rolling round count: 64 9mm FMJ

A couple dropped shots, but otherwise, getting better. Still accurate as ever, no modifications (aside from the grips) at all.

At that point, I heard my neighbor a couple lanes down start letting off double taps. Having been used to ranges with relatively strict 3- and 5-second shot rules, I was unaccustomed to this. But, when in Rome, right? Four more 8-rd magazines, decocked and reset to DA/SA for each mag. Double taps for all four mags:

Rolling round count: 96 9mm FMJ

Still dropping shots, but it's definitely not the weapon. Coming from the strictly SA world of the 1911, it's not too hard to narrow down where my weaknesses are. I need DA practice. I'm almost glad I didn't choose the DAK version now, but like anything else, I just need to spend more time with this fine piece.

So, having been exposed to the world of double taps, my helpful neighbor a couple lanes down then begins to send a volley of rapid into some poor target. Excellent! Now, having seen what this fine weapon was capable of, with ZERO FTFs or FTEs, I felt 96 rounds was more than enough of a break in, so I opted to send WWB 147 gr. JHPs downrange. I decided to do a simulated carry setup scenario, so I only loaded two magazines, 16 rounds total (I didn't top off, otherwise it'd be one shot more):

Rolling round count: 96 9mm FMJ, 16 9mm JHP

Guess which one is my first shot? (HINT: I even pointed it out for you!)

All in all, I would heartily recommend this weapon to anyone who might be interested in a reliable, compact, simple-to-use, even simpler-to-maintain weapon that will serve it's purpose, and serve it well. If you are used to single action weapons, you may have a hangup on the DA/SA operation, but I firmly believe that this will be corrected with more hands-on time and experience with the weapon. My DA-Only drill really helped me in slow fire, but it will take a good many more rounds to where it become muscle memory.

Sig Arms also makes a DAK version with a consistent 7 lb. trigger pull. The DAK is noticeably missing a decocker, which may also come in handy for folks used to 1911s, and most other pistols where the decocker is integrated into the external safety (I found myself trying to lock the slide back by pushing up on the decocker a few times today ).

Overall - VERY handy, VERY accurate, and VERY comfortable, especially with a cheap $22 set of aftermarket Hogue grips. A bit pricey, but well worth every last penny. This is quality you can see and feel, and worth the cost of admission. (A note on the MSRP seen above: I bought mine in a package from Talon Arms that came with the weapon, installed SigLite tritium night sights, and 4 Black T-coated 8-rd. magazines for $750 shipped.)

And now, the outtakes (you didn't think I'd forget my Kimber, did you? )

My last target of the day (the "Yeehaw" target) is always a few mags of whatever I'm shooting, all on one target.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Well - the cat approves!

Nice job and thx for the feedback. It will feel I expect almost exact same as my 228 and that gun serves me well for IDPA. My EDC 226ST being even heavier hardly notices a 9mm!
    The NRA range has apparently had a change in policy, and no longer allow photography on the range
    Wonder why that is - must be some troubles they have had thru folks trying to take pics in unsafe manner perhaps.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The Sig P239 looks like a pretty neat gun. Great info.

=========

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."
    -John Wayne

Looks like ya get along with it pretty well

Nate allowed me to put several rounds through the 239, and the one thing that struck me was the lack of "snap" traditionally felt in 9mm. Recoil was rediculiously manageable. Bringing it from the alert position (held 4 inches from chest) to the ready (fully extended draw), I noticed it indexed real well, something I've found usual with Sig guns. The grip size was excellent, and it could have been due to the Hogue grips.

It definately gets my thumbs up.

Lead Moderator
    Looks like your 239 works like most 239s do....... Very well. If I ever get a SIG that didn't work great right out of the box I'd be surprised.

Thanks for range report, and cute cat!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

The P239 is a great choice.

I have tried out the 9mm P239 and I liked it a lot. The DA/SA has a lot of advantages and only one downside - the first trigger pull. Other than that, based on my PPK/S being DA/SA, it is wonderful. I love being able to load and clear the pistol with the lever in safe. I also like the fact that with the lever in safe, which also de-cocks the hammer, the gun won't fire no matter what.

If I didn't have the PPK, I'd have a 9mm P239 just like yours. Congratulations on your new SIG!

Fitch

Do you know of a place online that sells those targets? I can't find them here and even the champion target website doesn't list it. That number is something else on their site.

Great post!!
    For the whatever it's worth dept.......Saw a factory rebuild .
    357 229 at gun store yesterday for $469.00 with warranty.

Thanks for the range report. I just purchased my first CCW piece and my first Sig... a P239, 9mm, DA/SA, night sights, 3 mags for $599 from Jerry at Ornance Outsellers. Great guy, great service, great price.

Unfortunately, I had to send it back to Sig the day I picked it up from my FFL dealer becuase there was some back gouging along the side of the barrel. I assume it's being caused by a problem inside the slide. No... it's not the "Sig Smiley".

Anyway, I should have my gun back in about 10 business days, and then get it to the range. I can't wait to shoot *my* Sig!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    Do you know of a place online that sells those targets? I can't find them here and even the champion target website doesn't list it. That number is something else on their site.
    Cabela's, my good man! http://www.cabelas.com/spodw-1/0011319.shtml

I was using the 8" targets today, and bought them at a local Wal-Mart. I find they're worth the extra money, as they're so much easier to see downrange than having to squint and try to see where your groupings are. Plus, neon's cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Thanks for the range report. I just purchased my first CCW piece and my first Sig... a P239, 9mm, DA/SA, night sights, 3 mags for $599 from Jerry at Ornance Outsellers. Great guy, great service, great price.
    That IS an excellent price! And I thought I made out! Was it new or CPO?

Thanks.

I never even thought of trying wal-mart.

I'll check there this weekend.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I have one in .40 and recoil is hardly noticeable especially with hogue finger groove grips.....

They are nice hg's and I like the way they are balanced....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Administrator

Thumbs up Nate

Nice illustrated Range Report. Very nicely done!

A trigger job on that SIG to lighten up your first DA pull would be in good order for you (not excessively lightened but, smoothed and lightly lightened) - since you already obviously shoot well enough defensively to take full advantage of an easier first shot & since that particular firearm seems to be an extremely "fitting" pistol for your daily carry.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I knew you would like this gun. My wife carries a Sig P239 in 9mm and she loves hers. She's a scary good shot with it too.

All I can ever say about Sig pistols is easy to sum up in a few words. They work every time.

Thanks for your report.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links