Used Para P13 or New Taurus 1911?

This is a discussion on Used Para P13 or New Taurus 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need a smaller CCW. Currently using a USP .45 full size and I want to stay with the .45 rnd. but I need something easier ...

Thread: Used Para P13 or New Taurus 1911?

Used Para P13 or New Taurus 1911?

Need a smaller CCW. Currently using a USP .45 full size and I want to stay with the .45 rnd. but I need something easier to conceal.

The Para is used 4.25" but in near excellent cond. for $629.
    The Taurus will be new @ $525.
    Will get pistol over time so the month or so wait for the Taurus does no damage.
    I don't know much about either so any info would be appreciated. Thanx.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I love the "commander" length 1911s for carry, but the double stack mag on the P13 will be harder to conceal than the single stack on the Taurus. You didn't say how old it was. Is it one of the old black finish guns with the combat sights or one of the newer models? The older ones had some issues that seems to have been addressed in the newer models. Para double stack mags are pretty expensive compared to the standard single stack 1911 mags.

I don't have any experience with the Taurus 1911, but everything I've heard so far has been positive.

Since I consider myself a 1911 purist I'd go with the Taurus, but if the Para is a recent model it will serve you as well. I am not anti-Para either. I have a Para LTC that is an excellent weapon.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

P8ROIT, thanks for your reply. The P13 is black with fixed sights and I don't know how old it is.
    One of the reasons I'm taking a closer look at it is the capacity and I didn't think about the thickness with the dbl stack and haven't compared the USP and P13 for grip thickness (something else for me to consider). Were those problems ammo "finicky" or factory based?

take the para. My p12 does me justice. Do the test......
    The double stack ain't gonna make it any harder to conceal than a single stack.
    Find out yourself...put'em butt to butt and see. I believe its like 1/10th of an inch bigger. If thats hard for you to conceal, you might as well trash the 1911 idea and stick to a snubby or something. IMO....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

As you can see by my screen name, I am a big Taurus fan but, in this instance I would get the Para. They make a hell of a gun and the thicker grip is not harder to conceal in my experience.

Good luck.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Taurus also has the 24/7, 145 and 745 which would be options as well, though if your set on the 1911 frame, of the two choices you list, as much as I like Para's (have a CCO that I carry) I'd go with the Taurus (just don't like the fatter grip of the Para double stacks)

Have you considered the single stack Commanders? Para LDAs are getting great reviews if you want a DA/SA, or the Slim Hawg, etc. Then you've got the old standards: Colt, SA & Kimber if you want traditional SA 1911.

Lots of folks swear by Taurus but I've just never warmed up to them, personal preference thing mostly.
    Jack

Links