From Zero to Two in One Day

This is a discussion on From Zero to Two in One Day within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought an Astra A-75 (phosphate) 40 S&W in near mint condition, it came in today and I stopped by today (a day earlier ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chorizo

Thread: From Zero to Two in One Day

Distinguished Member

From Zero to Two in One Day

I just bought an Astra A-75 (phosphate) 40 S&W in near mint condition, it came in today and I stopped by today (a day earlier than opening) at a local gun show to visit a friend who has many and all types of magazines so I could get a couple of spares.

Lo and behold, he also had a near mint condition, in box with one mag, a nickel A-75 in 40 S&W. He also had a 380 & 40 S&W AMT Backup in boxes. I mentioned I had an AMT 45 ACP backup in the box and he HAD to have it. So I traded it to him for 200 rds of 40 S&W, 10 A-75 mags and the nickel A-75.

Now I have two Astra A-75 and have already repurposed an Alien Gear Holster for it.

Hitting the range tomorrow!

Badey likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

2. Remove Ads

I have to admit I have never seen on of these. It looks like a solid gun. I am really digging the nickel finish one. How are they reliability wise?
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

They look good congratulations!

Senior Moderator
    Nice Chorizo! I especially like the black one. Eager to hear about the shooting tomorrow!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

WOW! It seems you really fell into it.

Big Congrats!! Now we will wait for a Range Report.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I have to admit I have never seen on of these. It looks like a solid gun. I am really digging the nickel finish one. How are they reliability wise?
    Extremely reliable. There is no safety, it is a decocker. 7 round single stack mags. DA/SA.

The US Coast Guard was looking at them in the 90's as a service sidearm, but didn't go that route because of production limitations.

Here is a review on the SA only version:

The Astra A-70: Quite Possibly the Best Defense Pistol for a Woman | Shooters' Journal

Here are the specs. Very compact...same size as a CZ-2075 RAMI, just slightly thinner. Parts are available from EAA, even though they are out of production.

http://www.eaacorp.com/Manuals/AstraA75.pdf

Another review:
    http://gunzandshit.blogspot.com/2012...sions-and.html

Magazines are easy to find, they are all over Gunbroker for $12-$20 and CDNN has new factory mags SS for $20 a pop. My two pistols are steel framed and in neat new condition and the mags that I got are factory new SS with the finger rests.

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Nice! Looks very Kahr K9-ish. I like it

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Sounds like you did good. I like the stainless one.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Like it very much. Congrats.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Astra is one of those guns you can grab for a really in expensive price and ask yourself
    why some other companys charge so much for their products...
    A lot of value right there,I own a similar gun called a Republic Arms Rapp440
    like the Astra they share the same shape and size also share the same single stack mags

I dont know what you paid but 250-300 is usually the range I see out on the street and they are
    built to last,heavy and eat everything....GJ

VIP Member
    An A-75 .40 was my first carry gun. Still have it, mine has been reliable. While I've gotten rid of all my other .40's I kept this one for I guess you'd say sentimental reasons. The only drawback to them now, is Astra folded operations in the late 90's , so replacement parts could become an issue.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    An A-75 .40 was my first carry gun. Still have it, mine has been reliable. While I've gotten rid of all my other .40's I kept this one for I guess you'd say sentimental reasons. The only drawback to them now, is Astra folded operations in the late 90's , so replacement parts could become an issue.
    Checked on it before I bought the first one. Parts are no problem at all. Re-read my posts and you will see that EAA still supports the A-75 and has a very nice stockpile of all parts to include barrels and slides. Wolff Springs also has several weights of recoil and firing pin springs available for it also. Parts, quite simply, right now are a non-issue.

Parts Diagrams with Prices

I have taken the trouble to buy some key parts: firing pins, extractors and related parts and a couple of other small parts.

EAA also will repair the gun under warranty if you are the original owner, if you aren't they will charge you but can still repair it.

Off to the range this afternoon. I will exercise them both and report back.

VIP Member
    Good find.
    They are very similar to the 3rd. gen Smiths.
    6904's '06's

As you know, Astra's are very well made pistols.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Never seen one in person. Sharp piece!

Distinguished Member
    RANGE REPORT:

Fired 150 rounds through each today. One malfunction, not the fault of the gun, a squib load that barely got the bullet out of the barrel (commercial reloads), other than that both were perfect. 130 rounds of 180 grains Flatnose FMJ, then 20 rounds of Speer 180 grain Gold Dot HP each.

Recoil very controlable due to the weight of the gun. I have carried one all day in the Alien Gear holster and it is comfortable and you hardly know it is there by its slimness and size...with weight being the only issue, you feel the heft.

Front sight is an integral part of the slide, but the three dot sights are OK and spot on at 7 yards with 180 grain bullets. Double action pull is long and smooth but not overly heavy, reset on single action short and trigger is light with minimal creep.

After getting oriented with the gun, I shot mostly double taps drills at 5 & 7 yards with the first shot double action as fast as I could present the gun and fire followed by the second shot (one second or less) the shots were vertically aligned in the center with strings vertically about 10 inches with most all within the 10 & 9 ring. Again as I said controllable. No difference between the two guns.

I really like the de-cocker. I have no use for safeties on double action guns.

All in all I am very impressed and very happy with them and they are going to get placed into daily carry as soon as I clean them and inspect them after shooting them. The same size of the RAMI (slightly thinner) it is easier to shoot with more "gripping space" for your hands, the triggers are similar and handles 180grain bullets (the RAMI I own is limited to 155 grain bullets for reliability sake).

I don't feel undergunned with 8 rounds of 40 S&W with an extra mag.

If you can get one, I recommend it to you. For the price, they make an excellent buy.

Second string of 50, Nickel gun, all double taps at 5 & 7 yards, first shot DA, second shot SA.
    Last edited by Chorizo; January 4th, 2014 at 09:54 PM.

Links