Range Report: Ruger SR22

This is a discussion on Range Report: Ruger SR22 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was able to spend an hour at the range today and finally got around to putting some rounds through my new SR22 pistol. I ...

Thread: Range Report: Ruger SR22

I was able to spend an hour at the range today and finally got around to putting some rounds through my new SR22 pistol. I got it through a trade and have been really looking for a 22 pistol as a plinker. Well, let me tell you, I was not disappointed.

The Sr22 is a DA/SA pistol. It bears a striking resemblance to the walther P22. The Sr22 utilizes a polymer frame, an aluminum slide, and a non tilting barrel. This creates a very light weight pistol in a very compact package. The grips on the Sr22 are interchangable between two different sizes. The grips simply slip on and off the frame, but do require some force to remove. The grip differ mainly in the size and shape of the backstrap. since I am more than four feet tall, I opted for the larger back strap as it fills the hand better and provides a better grip. This is a rather small gun, especially when compared to various other offerings such as the MK series ruger pistols, the SW 22A, Beretta Neos, Browning buckmark etc.

The sights are of the typical 3 dot variety found on most pistols. The rear sight consists of windage adjustable leaf neatly secured in a an elevation adjustable spring style housing. The front is a simple polymer blade that is drift adjustable. An interesting note of the sights is that if one prefers black target style sights, one simply flips the blade around for a black blade, and the front sight is also reversible in the same fashion.

From the factory, the SR22 comes with all the usual factory trimmings... lock, chamber flag, manual, paperwork, and 2 mags. Speaking of mags, the SR22 mags are truly a thing of genius. These are some of the easiest loading 22 mags ever. Anyone who has ever loaded mags for a ruger MK series pistol knows all about the thumb of pain... well, the SR22 mags use a softer spring, but also have a built in thumb lever for depressing the follower, making loading a breeze. They are the standard 10 rnd variety, so nothing unusual there.

My gun has a few extras being that I have the threaded Barrel model. I also have a thread adapter and wrench for use with a suppressor, compensator etc. And since my compensator came in the mail before I left, I figured I would be remiss if I did not install it !!!! Nothing fancy, just a 12 dollar steel compensator I ordered from amazon just ercause it looked cool.

So how did it shoot????

Well., a competition gun it is not. The DA trigger pull on this gun has more crunch than burnt biscuits, more grit than a litter box, and more pull than gravity on a fat kids piece of dropped cake. Its usable, but that is about it. The SA pull on the other hands is much much better. Mine seems to break on the heavy side, I would guess in the 5 to 6 lb range, but it does not stack, is smooth and clean and crisp, and is very predictable. It is by no means a MK series pistol trigger but it is moe than adequate for plinking purposes, and can yield some very suprising results.

Function was flawless, with only one malfunction and it was the ammo not the gun. A dud round is dud round, and it just would not go bang even after pulling the trigger on it several times. Other than that it ate everything I put in it.... CCI Stinger, Winchester X, Federal gold match ( lead bullet too), some remington thunderbolt, CCI mini mags... and prob some other cheap stuff I had in the box. It all went down range like it should.

Perhaps the best attribute of the SR22, is its perfect size for younger shooters. Some adults may find it undersized, but for the younger shooters, it is perfect. I know because I tested this theory by taking my girlfriend, who is 5ft even and has the hands of an elf. This was the first time she had ever shot a handgun, and I could not have had a better handgun for her. She likes to refer to it as "her size". So how did the SR22 perform in the hands of a beginning shooter?

20140104_171450.jpg20140104_165912.jpg2014010495143520.jpg

My girlfriend shot these targets with my SR22.... Her FIRST time shooting a handgun. She was shooting at 7 yds, and these were only a few magazines into her shooting. For a beginning shooter, I would call that pretty darn good. The big difference IMO was that she did not struggle to hold the gun up at all and found it very comfortable to hold. I think this took half of the trouble out of her shooting well as she didnt have to fight the gun. That and her coach is pretty awesome too

Overall, I give the SR22 the Taurahe seal of approval. It is a great shooting little gun that will be fun for the whole family. What more can you ask for!!!!
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

nice range report. Even though I'm more partial to the Ruger MK series, I have been curious about getting out and shooting with one of the SR22s.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

My wife and kids love the SR22...it's been a super little pistol. I put the little grip on so my then 8yo and 10yo's could shoot it. It's been dead reliable except for a few underpowered rounds from the 80's that I had, and I tried feeding it 22 longs, it would choke on about 30% of those. LOL

It's a great little pistol, not half as accurate as my MKII but lots of fun that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    nice range report. Even though I'm more partial to the Ruger MK series, I have been curious about getting out and shooting with one of the SR22s.
    It really is a great little pistol... its so light that shooting it is a very different experience compared to the MK series rugers. And even though it is so light, recoil is minimal making it a blast to play with....
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Sponsored Links