About to lose my semi autos!

This is a discussion on About to lose my semi autos! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I'm not careful I'm going to find myself bottom feeder-less! I usually don't trade. I'd rather add to my collection than interchange, so to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: About to lose my semi autos!

If I'm not careful I'm going to find myself bottom feeder-less! I usually don't trade. I'd rather add to my collection than interchange, so to speak. In the past 4 days I have made 3 trades and each one has been a semi auto for a s&w revolver! These have been the only trades I don't have "trader's remorse" on. I have a few semi autos that I will never let go of, even though I don't carry them. As for my cc pieces, I am getting to the point where all I want is revolvers. Anybody else share my problem? Or maybe the other way around? I always end up going back to a snubby after carrying a semi auto for a while and have always been obsessed w/ revolvers, especially snubs, since I was young. S&w, colt, ruger, even charter arms some. It's taking control!
    I believe in God, America, & the .38 special

As much as I love owning, shooting, and carrying revolvers I gotta say that you really need to keep some good automatics on hand.
    Eric357, gen3, Ianthin and 10 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OK. So be a wheelgun guy.

I have a lot of respect for those who are highly skilled with revolvers. Working on getting there myself these days. Been getting into the j frames.

But you really should have a full time 1911, at the least.

I like them both.

My thinking is sometimes it is good to have more then 6 or 7 rounds if not just for more fun at the range . Also consider the number of rifles out there that you can share pistol mag with.

And of course there is only one revolver on earth that works with a silencer so that is another good reason to have a semi .

If I was forced to live in a state where I could only own 10 or 7 round mags then yeah I would probley switch to wheel guns cause your not losing out on much . But I dont and I like to have if needed more then 7 round on tap ( and yes I know the old saying about that but I am not Wyatt Erp)
    BigShrek and gatorbait51 like this.

As long as you're as fast and accurate as with the semi's, no problem - of course, that's usually the problem.

Semi's -> bottom feeder -> bf -> best friend

What do you have left?
    BigShrek and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I own both also, Love both.
    gatorbait51 and Eric357 like this.

I'm a die hard wheelgun (and snubbie) guy.

That being said, I still have about 9 autos in my collection.

Of those 9, the ones I absolutely can't part with:

1.) LCP - Because it's a good little pistol and I carry it all the time.
    2.) Bulgarian Makarov - Because I just love the thing.
    3.) Glock 19 - Zombies.
    4.) 1911 - Because you just gotta have at least one 1911.

my wheel guns outnumber my autos now but I plan to always keep it least 3 autos around.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Well I don't know if anyone noticed that I did specify that I had some semi autos that will not leave my collection. A few are cc guns, a couple 1911's, and a couple classics that won't leave. I think some folks just skimmed and didn't see that part. I don't want to toot my own horn either, but I do consider myself pretty strong w/ wheel guns. Semi autos r also a blast to take to the range. I'm simply saying that I'm starting to notice a trend, and that trend is buying more revolvers. I always buy too much (or what my wife considers too much), now it's just a little towards the wheel gun side. Also, there are about three semi autos on my radar that I do plan to grab if I find them reasonable!
    Eric357 and gatorbait51 like this.

And multistage, I've been a wheel gun guy for a long time. Lol.
    gatorbait51 and multistage like this.

Nedrgr21, I just now saw what you asked. I have a rock island 38 super 1911, remington 1911, ruger sr9c, shield 9, sig p938 nightmare, s&w m&p 9c, taurus pt111g2, kel tec p32, s&w cs45, & a makerov. That could change tomorr as much as I trade but a handful of these are not for sale or trade.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit22 View Post
    Nedrgr21, I just now saw what you asked. I have a rock island 38 super 1911, remington 1911, ruger sr9c, shield 9, sig p938 nightmare, s&w m&p 9c, taurus pt111g2, kel tec p32, s&w cs45, & a makerov. That could change tomorr as much as I trade but a handful of these are not for sale or trade.
    What Makerove you got ? If it E german or china made I would keep it .. And what vintage is the 938 is it the new ones that were purspose built or the old 238 frame in 9mm gun ? And oh I would keep the p32 as you wont get much for it and I like 32acps a lot and plan on getting some more 32 soon. And I may just keep the the cs45 as I am guessing they are not made anymore and the old s&W autos are nice.

The rest I would perosnal have no problem with selling.

I alwasy go by at min 2 things when I go to sell or trade:
    1. Would this gun be banned by the old 94 AWB or CA 89 ban if it is I might just keep it you never know . Or if said gun or mags is pre ban again you never know
    2. Is the gun rarer or not made any more ( Ie there is no more E german)
    3. And of course how hard and how much it would cost to replaced it ( trust me I kick myself now and again for selling something only to see the deal I got on them)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Administrator
    I want people to carry something that can put holes in a bad guy in a hurry.
    And I want them to carry it as often as is legally possible.
    If the bullets originate from a cylinder or a "clip" you'll be good to go as long as you practice with it.

Yeah...I just typed "clip" up there so somebody could yell...IT'S A MAGAZINE NOT A CLIP!!!

If you carry a wheel gun then carry a speed strip of ammo also because you don't want to be pinned down some place with only the ammunition in your revolver.
    If you carry a semi-auto then carry a spare magazine because the magazine will always be the weakest link in an otherwise properly functioning semi.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I want people to carry something that can put holes in a bad guy in a hurry.
    And I want them to carry it as often as is legally possible.
    If the bullets originate from a cylinder or a "clip" you'll be good to go as long as you practice with it.

Yeah...I just typed "clip" up there so somebody could yell...IT'S A MAGAZINE NOT A CLIP!!!

If you carry a wheel gun then carry a speed strip of ammo also because you don't want to be pinned down some place with only the ammunition in your revolver.
    If you carry a semi-auto then carry a spare magazine because the magazine will always be the weakest link in an otherwise properly functioning semi.
    ITS NOT a CLIP, ITS A MAGAZINE!

*Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry if there are any errors.*
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member
    I practice with, and use both. Full sized 1911 and Ruger SP101 in .357 flavor. CCW either one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links