Range Report, Taurus 415 .41 Mag Snubbie

This is a discussion on Range Report, Taurus 415 .41 Mag Snubbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my new carry weapon to the range yesterday. It is a .41 magnum Taurus 615. It has an all-steel frame, it isn’t ported ...

Thread: Range Report, Taurus 415 .41 Mag Snubbie

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

I took my new carry weapon to the range yesterday. It is a .41 magnum Taurus 615. It has an all-steel frame, it isn’t ported and it has those cool “ribber” grips.

First off, it’s important to note that this is a very powerful handgun. It is probably right about at the limit of what most people are going to be able to shoot well enough to carry without pretty frequent practice (more than once or twice a month) or significant experience with big-bore handguns.

Having said that, and noting for the record that I am recoil sensitive, I was surprised and pleased with how shootable this revolver was. I’ve got to hand it to Taurus for the design. I don’t know whether it was the “ribber” grips or the gun’s steel frame and resulting weight. Both probably help. There was noticeable recoil; there are no two ways about that. But the recoil was not painful and the gun was very shootable. A whole afternoon of rapid-fire might have hurt, but that’s about as bad as it would be.

In single action, it was surprisingly accurate for a gun with a 2 ½" barrel. Double action was quite an adjustment, but in a situation where you would be using a snubby in double action (i.e., arm’s length or a grappling scenario) it is more than accurate enough.

I tested five different kinds of ammo from 5 yards, using a sandbag rest: Winchester Silvertip 175-grain JHP, Speer 210-grain JHP, Buffalo Bore 170-grain JHP, Cor Bon 170-grain JHP and Winchester Platinum Tip 240-grain HP.

While they all shot at least accurately enough for CQB application, I ran into a couple of surprises with the ammo, too. The first was with Buffalo Bore. Geez, guys and gals, that stuff is H-O-T. I had trouble getting the shells into the chambers and a little more trouble getting them out after they were fired. And they really made the gun buck in my hand as I shot them. I can imagine that the heavier stuff Buffalo Bore puts out would really be the ticket to use for hunting- if you can control it, which ought to be doable in a big, large-frame revolver. I wouldn’t shoot their 265 grain stuff out of my 2 ½"-barreled carry revolver, though. Eee-Yikes. It shot a couple of inches under POA, with maybe a two-inch group.

The Cor-Bon shot like a milder version of the Buffalo Bore, with pretty much the same results although it may have shot a 2 ½" or
    3" group . The Silvertips shot an inch under POA, with about a 2" group. The Speers shot about a two-inch group, about two inches under POA.

The accuracy winner here, surprisingly enough, was the 240-grain Winchester Platinum Tip. About a one-inch group, at POA, believe it or not. An additional surprise with the Platinum Tips was that I anticipated some real recoil problems with them, but their recoil wasn’t any worse than any of the others in the recoil department. The Platinum Tips were noticeably less jumpy than the Buffalo Bore rounds.

Please remember that these are my results on one particular day, December 15, 2006 with my particular weapon, and that I am not a world-renowned pistol shot- - I am a balding, widening, badly nearsighted 40 year-old lawyer . YMwillV, so if you are a fan of some .41 ammo other than the Platinum Tips, please don’t flame me (and if you work for a company that makes some other ammo, please don’t sue me, either).

VIP Member
    I'm not that recoil sensitive and I have no real desire to fire this gun given that it's a .41 Magnum and the cartridge is being fired out of a snubbie no less.

Thanks for the report.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Having said that, and noting for the record that I am recoil sensitive, I was surprised and pleased with how shootable this revolver was. I’ve got to hand it to Taurus for the design. I don’t know whether it was the “ribber” grips or the gun’s steel frame and resulting weight. Both probably help. There was noticeable recoil; there are no two ways about that. But the recoil was not painful and the gun was very shootable. A whole afternoon of rapid-fire might have hurt, but that’s about as bad as it would be.
    I am pleased to hear that this worked well for you. I have always been fascinated with the .41, although I probably will never get one [too many firearms of interest, too little funds (I'm a public-school teacher) ]. But I've always liked the idea of .41 Magnum. I'm happy this Taurus works for you!

Congratulations!

randytulsa2,

After carrying it for a couple of years as a field gun, I recently sold my 415 to help pay for my second stainless Redhawk also in 41mag. I put around 3000 rounds through mine and even shot my home made snake shot through it as well. It was a pretty good shooter and after I did some trigger component polishing, had a decent trigger. I am not recoil sensetive and the 415 was not too bad, especially with the porting keeping the muzzle flip to a minimum. Had I not found the second Redhawk, it would still be accompaning me to the woods stuffed with the Winchester 240's you were speaking of.
    It is a good gun and should serve you well.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Senior Moderator
    The .41 Mag is a tough round no matter how you look at it.

Good report. One could do much worse for a carry gun.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Now I think I want one. Thanks Randy. One more gun to keep me awake at night...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Congrats on the new piece Randy.
    I'm a .41 mag fan myself. It should make you a heck of a good self defense gun.

And your right about Buffalo Bore being a hot round.
    You should try some .454 s
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I have always been intrigued by the 41 mag. the 44 is just too much, but a 41....
    i have shot the heavy buffalo bore 357 stuff- yikes! the 41 must be potent indeed. i think their stuff is not really intended for snubbies. mostly it is hunting ammo, so long barrel heavy revolvers would be used. but the 357 i shot was 125 grain jhp that goes to 1700 fps in a 4 inch service revolver. ouch. wear ear plugs and muffs.
    God bless you and keep your hand away from the cylinder gap.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Sponsored Links