Kimber Ultra CDP II

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra CDP II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me start by saying how much i enjoy carrying/shooting my Ultra CDP II. Its an awesome pistol. I carry it in a Wright leather ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Kimber Ultra CDP II

Kimber Ultra CDP II

Let me start by saying how much i enjoy carrying/shooting my Ultra CDP II. Its an awesome pistol. I carry it in a Wright leather works Predator holster.
    It is so hard to conceal. The holster carries the pistol effortlessly, but unless i'm wearing a jacket, it telegraphs.
    Any thoughts?hol2.jpghol.jpg
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    It's why I don't carry a Government M. It's just too much hassle for me to conceal it. I have some nice rigs, but nothing conceals like a pocket gun. I wouldn't take my LCP to a gunfight, but if I stumbled into one on accident I'll be plenty glad to have it.

There is no perfect pistol, and we all have different needs. Compromises have to be made somewhere wether it's magazine capacity, caliber, frame size, recoil, carry rig, etc., etc.

If I was going to a gunfight I certainly wouldn't bring a side arm except as a last ditch (I'd also prefer to have air support loitering, arty standing by, and NGFS at 5 NM).
    superdamian11 and patri0t like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

You need more cant at the least and I'd be looking at IWB carry if you want to conceal under anything but oversized, heavy fabric shirts.

I can carry a Commander model under a tshirt in both of my IWB holsters, but if I'm using a pancake OWB, I'm going to have to grab a jacket or sweat shirt.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    superdamian11 likes this.

Great gun !!! I carry a SA GI commander occasionally. The only holster I have for it is a desantis cozy partner. While I dont really like the holster, it hides very well. It has good cant, gives me a full grip and holds close. The big difference is that it is an IWB holster. Are you using a gun belt? With a heavy gun, a good bstiff gun belt makes so much difference. the best holster fails with out a good belt when you are carrying a steel framed gun. If you have a good belt, then it really comes down to the simple fact that an OWB is not the best for concealing under a t shirt. Some can, but many cannot conceal effectively with an OWB holster. My standard dress is lightweight button up shirts untucked and jeans, so no one knows any different when I carry my 1911, but a good cover garment works miracles with OWB carry.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I carry one of my government size 1911s in a D.M. Bullard Combat holster every day. It conceals very well.

Gun Leather, Concealment and Cowboy holsters, Azle, TX.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

I've got the exact same beauty... GREAT GUN (and even better that my EX-WIFE bought it for me )

I've got a Galco (OWB) and a Brigade Custom Holster also OWB, and takes more than a t-shirt to cover it.

Look into IWB from Brigade- top notch holster for a top notch pistol- IMO
    R.M.G.O.-Member
    NRA-Life Member

great input. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Great gun !!! I carry a SA GI commander occasionally. The only holster I have for it is a desantis cozy partner. While I dont really like the holster, it hides very well. It has good cant, gives me a full grip and holds close. The big difference is that it is an IWB holster. Are you using a gun belt? With a heavy gun, a good bstiff gun belt makes so much difference. the best holster fails with out a good belt when you are carrying a steel framed gun. If you have a good belt, then it really comes down to the simple fact that an OWB is not the best for concealing under a t shirt. Some can, but many cannot conceal effectively with an OWB holster. My standard dress is lightweight button up shirts untucked and jeans, so no one knows any different when I carry my 1911, but a good cover garment works miracles with OWB carry.

i should consider an IWB. what's the most comfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by superdamian11 View Post
    i should consider an IWB. what's the most comfortable?
    For comfort, I generally lean towards hybrids. My SHTF Ace has been a great holster and I carry in it the majority of the time. There are a lot of great full leather options (like the Milt Sparks VM2 and it's clones) that are comfortable and I own one, but it doesn't seem to conceal as well as the hybrid options IMO.

I carry a Sig ultra compact,very similar in size to your Kimber. I use a crossbreed super tuck, very comfortable and top quality hybrid kydex and leather holster. Crossbreed has a lifetime warranty and a 2 week trial period if you don't like it you can return it. They run about $70 I have 3.

image.jpg i carry this full size frame with an unbuttoned shirt with no problem..

Administrator
    Nice pistol; I had the pro version for a few years, and had no issues concealing it... Holsters are kinda like shoes. What works great for me might not for you. I've found the IWB works best for concealment, especially if your in reasonably good shape. Being over weight can make it uncomfortable.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Damian:

First off, just like Sixto says, holsters are very individualistic. In other words, you will likely go thru 3 or 4 choices before you find something that YOU feel good wearing. Most of us have a box of holsters that looked great, came highly recommended, but after wearing it for a while, it just didn't work for us.

Just some general thoughts on IWB:

1. They conceal much easier, and fit in tighter against the body than OWB.

2. Unless you already have 2" of looseness in your pants, you will have to buy pants that are bigger in the waist to accomodate the added girth of pistol and holster. You will have to choose--bigger pants or more concealable carry--just make your choice and live with it.

3. Comments above about a quality belt cannot be ignored. You want to carry a heavy gun, get a quality belt--whether it is a nylon riggers belt (5.11; Uncle Mikes', etc) or a quality leather belt--just get one and wear it.

4. the wider the IWB holder (this is: the further the support loops/clips are spread apart), the wider the weight distrubution--but then some folks don't like the wider holster--personal taste comes into play.

5. Some IWB are "tuckable"--they clips are attachedin such a way so that your shirt tails can be pulled over the pistol and tucked into the "v" that the clips make. This is a nice option if you want deeper concealment.

6. All leather holsters will eventually conform more to your body than a hybrid (leather backing, kydex gun-holder).
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

That firearm is 1.28 inches thick, not a very concealable sidearm for me.
    I carry a Colt Defender .45 1911 at only 22.5 oz, same bbl length, but width is only 0.9 inch at the slide, which carries nicely in one of the crossbreed style holsters like Comp-Tac or King-Tuk, which allows for depth/height adjustment and I can carry all day at the 3:30-4:00 position.
    I just do not understand why a $1000. sidearm would be over 0.9 inches thick.

The Galco Leather IWB for 2 O'clock/appendix carry works well, too. A 1.28 inch thick sidearm seems like it will be tough to get a comfortable holster fit.
    This is the main reason I prefer my sidearms with a 0.9 inch thickness, MAX. Otherwise, it is a constant battle to keep it concealed &/or comfortable.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links