.45acp vs 50 GI

This is a discussion on .45acp vs 50 GI within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have nothing against the 50 & I also see some advantage to an initial larger bullet diameter. Your basic "bigger" ~ probably being better. ...

View Poll Results: The .45acp is now obsolete. Will you upgrade? (vote is public)

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Give me the latest wiz-bang .50 in a controllable 1911 package!

10 11.36%
  • No! I'll stay with the old obsolete .45acp, thank you.

78 88.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45acp vs 50 GI

Administrator

I have nothing against the 50 & I also see some advantage to an initial larger bullet diameter. Your basic "bigger" ~ probably being better.

For me and at this stage of my game...I would probably not switch over to the GI for several reasons.

One being that I try to maximize my shooting time by trying not to waste precious time stoking magazines during shooting sessions...so I already own 40 (or more) pistol magazines in Caliber .45 acp.

I'm likely not going to shell out the dollars for Quantity 40+ magazines in 50GI coupled with the expense of all new leather and a pistol.

I'm one of those folks that has become increasingly happier with the 45acp as ammunition loadings/selection and bullet configurations and "velocity numbers" have advanced over the years.

I've never been a shooter that has said that I carry a .45 because they don't make a 50.

If I were a younger shooter that was just getting into wanting a larger format self~defense handgun then I sure might consider one.

Right now I feel that I can nicely accomplish my personal defense with the 45acp as being adequate.

I have no condemnation for the 50GI provided that it functions well in any pistol set up for it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I would love to have one , but my wallet won't be ready
    in the forseeable future.

It's overkill for concealed carry use , so it would just be a
    range toy for me.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Excellent ballistics, but..........
    I suggest you keep this "rule" in mind: If you can't buy the ammo at Walmart, don't buy the gun.

In a SHTF scenario, you will need more ammo than you have. What would the .50 do in that scenario that the .45 ACP can't do (or hasn't done in decades of proven combat)? Just something to ponder....
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper208 View Post
    Excellent ballistics, but..........
    I suggest you keep this "rule" in mind: If you can't buy the ammo at Walmart, don't buy the gun.
    Even if you have the .45acp conversion kit?

In such a scenario I'd rather have my 9mm at any rate as resupply would likely be easier. I'd also take a .223, a 12 gauge, and a .308. But back to topic

Josh <><

Nope, not for me.

I reload, so the costs would be mitigated, so thatís pretty much a non-issue. I just donít have a use for it.

I look at it based on which niche it would fill, definitely not a target caliber, and there are IMHO better calibers for hunting. So it would be Sd use.

I like and prefer the .45 ACP due to its ďbalanceĒ and this is where I feel the .50 is lacking. To me at least the .45 ACP is an acceptable compromise between energy and recoil. A 230-grain at 850 FPS is manageable in a 1911 and it has enough energy to get the job done. When married with the 1911 platform, it's concealable and shootable. If multiple shots are required the .45ACP is capable of fast follow up shots.

The bottom line is, I donít think the extra energy provided by the .50 is better than my ability to hit faster with a .45.

YMMV,

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

ya know when they can figure out how to cram the 454 casull into a 1911 package and keep it same grip size call me

maybe one day i will end up with a 50 gi but not anytime soo
    kind of like the 400 corbon seemed cool but well

anyone want to buy a 400 corbon barrel for a hk usp ?

I'd have to say I like the 50GI. I haven't researched it too much, but from what I have read it seems like a great round for self defense. And if I could afford it I would buy the 1911 50 GI. But as of this date they are way out of my price range.

Now if the ammo was widely available, at the same price as 45, and Sig made a 220 DAK in 50GI then I'd be all over it.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

For my part, I'll stick with the .45 acp due to the fact that I'm used to it, like it, and am in my late '50's (i.e. too old to change)

However, as was mentioned above by another old timer, if I was younger I'd probably be looking into the .50 GI.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/

heres the link to the maker of the 50gi

forgot to add earlier that is a turn off for me is price if the gun was say 1500$ or less cool but 2800 no thanks

Mine Is Bigger Than Yours...

Great, mine IS smaller, but I do know how to use it...that's all that counts.

Don't they say, "It's not the size of the pen, but rather the penmanship"?

I'll stick with .45's and 9mm's...that is where I put my money...I don't want to start over with something new.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would like to shoot 50GI purely so I can tell people I've shot it. Other than that, I'm not really interested.

No.I like the idea of looking for new technology,trying new combinations, bigger bullets,different powders. But starting a new caliber size and working up loads, and all the record keeping to actually learn if its right for me? Ill settle for the excitement of tinkering with acp's and learning just a little more.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

I voted to stick with the .45, but if the .50 (and ammo) were more readily available I might try it, after it had been proven to be a reliable platform (it might be, I know nothing about it). It still wouldn't replace the tried and true .45 though.
    In addition to the 10mm, the .45 Winchester Magnum and Desert Eagle .50 never took hold niether (although you can still get them), just show us the next big thing is not always the next best thing.

My uncle carries a S&W .32 Long (old) snubnose. Says he doesn't need a .38, even though the new ones are lighter and of course (even more so with +P's) much more powerfull.

Figured I'd throw that in to take some of the heat off the "no other gun needed" 1911 guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    just show us the next big thing is not always the next best thing.
    that quote can extend to many facets of the gun industry.

Senior Moderator
    I personally don't want any more calibers. I have narrowed mine guns down to mostly ones with ammo readily had at most places.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links