Would you buy a US made replica of the Soviet PSM?

This is a discussion on Would you buy a US made replica of the Soviet PSM? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a manufacturer, say Kahr or Kimber, came out with a replica of the PSM, would you buy one? Would you want it in the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By WrongRecroom

Thread: Would you buy a US made replica of the Soviet PSM?

Would you buy a US made replica of the Soviet PSM?

In a manufacturer, say Kahr or Kimber, came out with a replica of the PSM, would you buy one?

Would you want it in the original 5.45mm, or something else? Maybe 25 NAA?

For some reason, the 5.45x18mm cartridge and the PSM have fascinated me as a CCW gun. It would be cool if Corbon or BB could load both a FMJ and a bonded JHP offering.

Fire away...

2. Remove Ads

The problem you will have is as I remember 5.45 is made to pentrated armor ala the 5.7 round so I dont think the round will be legal to sell in the usa "The PSM was designed around the newly developed 5.45×18mm cartridge, which was developed for the weapon by Precision Mechanical Engineering Central Research Institute. The cartridge is capable of penetrating 55 layers of kevlar at realistic engagement distances.[1] This cartridge has a bottlenecked case and a spitzer-pointed jacketed bullet, providing performance superior to the .22 LR and .25 ACP (6.35×16mmSR Browning) rounds."

Maybe the PSO version of the round would be legal as it is a normal bullet but it would probley suck as a round same as the 5.7

But I do like the size and slimlest of the gun .
    Kavalander and msgt/ret like this.

looks like a walther or cz, kind of. looks like a handy little piece. Wrong Rec is probably right about someone getting touchy about it's AP abilities.

This will be third time beating upon this horse, but how about a HK P7 M8? you're still in the uber expensive category... but an innovative and interesting piece, for sure. Though i'd hate to get one, carry it, actually have to use it, and then lose my $2,500 piece to the legal black hole... guess that right there is something to be said for carrying cheap guns...

They made a export version of the gun in 25acp the IZh-75 but I dont think it or the oringal would be leagl to import due to the 1968 act.

If they had a factory here in the USA yeah maybe but as is I dont thinks so.

So your right a USA comapny would have to make a version of it . But looking at the size of the gun it would be at most a 22 or 25 cailber gun or maybe if they are lucky . I thnk the 25naa would be the best bet but looking at the round I dont know if it would feed it ok .

I would say walter should make a USA version or better yet Bretta both have a lot of work with small cal pocket guns esp bretta there Jetfire is kind of like the same idea

Yes- Beretta would be a good choice. Forgot about them...

How would the 5.45 be any different than the 5.7 in terms of the AP capabilities of the original ammo? Alternative, civilian "approved", loadings are available for the 5.7, including a FMJ by Federal (American Eagle).

Since I am a lefty, the only thing I would change on the PSM is making the low profile safety ambidextrous. I love the heel mag release- MUCH better for small pocket type guns than a button, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Yes- Beretta would be a good choice. Forgot about them...

How would the 5.45 be any different than the 5.7 in terms of the AP capabilities of the original ammo? Alternative, civilian "approved", loadings are available for the 5.7, including a FMJ by Federal (American Eagle).

Since I am a lefty, the only thing I would change on the PSM is making the low profile safety ambidextrous. I love the heel mag release- MUCH better for small pocket type guns than a button, in my opinion.
    As I said they make a normal lead bullet version of the 5.45 it would look like that might just be legal in the USA but why? This is why people dont like 5.7 it is a expensive round and the civi round is not that great . I mean the round is what close to a 25 normal if the steel core stuff maybe a 32 but a civi round would not be that great I would guess 25 or so power.

It looks like a few peopl in the USA have them as gift Russian PSM Pistol (5.45x18) - The Firing Line Forums and they sound like great gun but the trick is getting one and a round that is legal and does not suck

The gun also looks a bit likea detonic pocket gun imop if a little smaller

The best bet would be is the company that makes these got someone over here to make there export veriosn in 25acp for the USA market .

It also looks like you can maybe handload it but the trick is finding the gun Where to by 5.45x18=Help 545x18mm

All in a neat handgun it looks like that I dont think we would ever see . I mean these guns were built as assassination weapon/last ditch/suiced weapons for the covert service/higher ups ( man the Brady bunch would have fit over these , we should get some ) ...Modern Firearms - PSM ( I know any gun could be consider for the above role but in case theese gun were pretty much made with wet ops in mind not some off the shelf gun that was moddify to task)

In 5.7 ... I doubt I would be interested... its an oddball caliber, ammo would prob be hard to get and pricey, and honestly its an ugly gun....
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Links