Glock 20 jams after grip chop w/ 15 round mags

This is a discussion on Glock 20 jams after grip chop w/ 15 round mags within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I chopped the G20 to accept G29 mags and its functions 100% with G29 mags that are very flush fit, but jams (fails to feed) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Glock 20 jams after grip chop w/ 15 round mags

I chopped the G20 to accept G29 mags and its functions 100% with G29 mags that are very flush fit, but jams (fails to feed) about every third round with 180gr TMJ underwood and a lesser power fmj in a g20 mag, i tired a 15 round mag of 135gr jhp and it works fine.

Also tride with factory barrel, lone wolf barrel, wolf spring & guide rod.

I orderd a & g grip extenders to try that option
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I'm on the fence of liking the idea of a chopped full size glock, but if I did go that route I'd probably have it done by someone who has done it successfully several times, aka a professional.

Maybe you could talk to someone who does this as a service and get there opinion.

Also, have you thought about it could be the mag spring in your 20 mag? Is it the same G20 mag every time? Could be the spring(s) getting weak.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Are you gripping the mag at all? Could be binding it if u are.

As for cutting grip your gun do as you please. I personally don't see the big deal. No worse than stipple job. Guns are cheap plus plastic guns are replaceable.

You are probably putting pressure on the protruding portion of the magazine with your lower fingers due to the chopped grip + magazine extending out of the bottom. This causes magazines to malalign, hence, misfeeds. The reason it doesn't do it with the flush fitting magazines is because there is nothing sticking out for you to rest bottom fingers on.

Try being conscious of not squeezing the protruding portion of extended magazines and see if this alleviates the problem.

Agreed that it may result from force applied to the magazine. The grip extension sleeves may help, if they fit well.

A lot of people giving flak for chopping it, but I disagree with them. Compared to a G29, a chopped G20 will have an extra inch of sight radius and roughly 20% more muzzle energy, depending on the load.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    You are probably putting pressure on the protruding portion of the magazine with your lower fingers due to the chopped grip + magazine extending out of the bottom. This causes magazines to malalign, hence, misfeeds. The reason it doesn't do it with the flush fitting magazines is because there is nothing sticking out for you to rest bottom fingers on.

Try being conscious of not squeezing the protruding portion of extended magazines and see if this alleviates the problem.
    This^^^

I have tried it with all factory parts and combos of non factory parts

I have tried it with pressure on the mag and not even touch the mag

I have tried it with different hand positions both one and two handed

The only variances are is how snug the G29 mag is and the angle of the mag,

The A&G sleeves should end the snuggness issue, but i dont see why this is a problem since id shoot with G27 with G22 mags
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar

It is because you are applying pressure to the front of the mag and tilting it. Same thing happens to my 26. Some glocks do it, some don't. It is also ammo dependent. Run a sleeve on the mag and you will be fine.

Personally, I love the grip chopped glocks. 19 chopped to a 26 length is the be all, do all, and my absolute favorite. Sorry I sold mine and will be replacing it with a gen4 19 that I will chop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD
    Administrator
    Clean up in aisle 2.

If your post is missing...well you probably get the point.

Yes, if the magazine angle changes, the feed angle changes, and that can screw up feeding. Possibly more so with 10mm than other cartridges, due to the shape.

One thing you could try, only as an experiment (obviously not a solution), would be to insert the extended mag, then secure it in place. Maybe roll up two pieces of paper and stick them tightly in front of and behind the mag, inside the grip. That should keep the angle from changing during firing. If it works, then you probably just have to find an extension sleeve that holds the mag steady.

Anyone think this is worth a try? Or dumb idea? I don't see how it could damage anything to try this test, but I'm no expert on Glocks or 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Clean up in aisle 2.

If your post is missing...well you probably get the point.
    Well done, sir. I was hoping this would happen.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Greg,

If you filled the mag with snap caps and manually racked the slide quickly, does it still jam? Exactly what are the jams? Does it get stuck before it enters the barrel throat (OAL too short), does it get stuck half way into the barrel (OAL too long)? Obviously snap caps typically have round noses and the 40 180gr have truncated (squarish) noses. Which may indicate that you need better follower to ramp matching. Maybe it's something as simple as needing a new slide release, that the slide release nub is hitting the mag follower. Or it's causing the mag follower to bounce. (Typically due to weak mag springs). That's not likely to be the cause since you are using new mags.

Glock Malfunctions | eHow

Question: Is the barrel throat on the G20 the same as on the G29? (That shouldn't be a problem because you also used a Bar-stol barrel.)
    Glock 23 Failure To feed - What causes this?

Me, I'd be looking at OAL. .40 S&W OAL Length

Underwood .40 S&W +P - Glock Talk hmmm.

Are you using factory mags?

10mm Underwood Ammo Gold Dot 180 gr Ammo test - YouTube Ammo test.

Thanks for deleting important information instead of combining the Post, not everyone is on and things will post before I'm done on my phone.

Ive have been a member for years and have never been treated this badly on any forum, i modify most of my guns to suit my needs, this is the only problem Ive had in doing so and I only did because many have done it, i have owned and shot sub compact glocks with full sized mags without issue and the gun with best suit my present and future needs in a chopped configuration.
    40Bob and kahrcarrier like this.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GregDepot View Post
    Thanks for deleting important information instead of combining the Post, not everyone is on and things will post before I'm done on my phone.

Ive have been a member for years and have never been treated this badly on any forum, i modify most of my guns to suit my needs, this is the only problem Ive had in doing so and I only did because many have done it, i have owned and shot sub compact glocks with full sized mags without issue and the gun with best suit my present and future needs in a chopped configuration.
    People sometimes are too quick to judge when they do not have the knowledge needed to understand the situation.

Water off the back and we march on.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GregDepot View Post

My previous posts got put out with the trash, but one big point I would make. The only failure to feed I have experienced with my Glocks, chopped or otherwise, was the resut of a defective magazine.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My previous posts got put out with the trash, but one big point I would make. The only failure to feed I have experienced with my Glocks, chopped or otherwise, was the resut of a defective magazine.
    Likewise my only failure with a Glock was using a G22 magazine without a grip sleeve adapter in a G27. It only happened one time and I could never duplicate it. My only guess is I was putting just enough torque on that magazine at the wrong time. I bet yours is a magazine related issue.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links