Differences - Glock Gen 3 and Gen 4

This is a discussion on Differences - Glock Gen 3 and Gen 4 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am planning to purchase, for my son's 41st birthday, a Glock 19 in 9mm. He got his Florida FCWL on Christmas Eve. What are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Differences - Glock Gen 3 and Gen 4

Differences - Glock Gen 3 and Gen 4

I am planning to purchase, for my son's 41st birthday, a Glock 19 in 9mm. He got his Florida FCWL on Christmas Eve.

What are the differences between the Gen 3 and Gen 4, beyond fitting his hand. He wants a Glock.

So far, I understand that the backstrap has changeability, and that the mag release can be switched - something that is not important for him, since he is right handed, on the Gen 4.

Are there different magazines for the Gen 4 only. I saw some indication on Cheaper Than Dirt about that. He will need an extra magazine as a range mag, keeping his initial two for carry.

Any comments or advice or suggestions welcome.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

2. Remove Ads

I can't say a negitive thing about a gen 4. I opted for a gen 3 simply because they have a longer track record. I do not regret the gen 3 G19 in the least. I've got about 200+ rounds throught it so far and had 0 problems. A great pistol.

I have 6 Glocks...get the gen-3, and don't look back.
    The Glock-19 is an excellent choice.
    StormRhydr and glocknjeep like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I will answer honestly and simply: The former has the bugs worked out of it, and the latter does/may not.

In other words, the Gen 3s are good to go. There are questions about the Gen 4s. I bought another Gen 3 G 19 a few months ago. I could have bought either generation brand new in box at the store. I wouldnt touch the gen 4.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

I have a gen 3 g27 and love it.. decided not to get the gen 4 because there wasn't really a difference besides mag release size and grip texture.. wasn't worth the extra 70 bucks
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Also the older Gen 3's have no MIM parts. Newer gen 3's and gen 4's have some MIM parts. The gen 4 magazine works just fine in a Gen 3, but not the other way around. I have also found that if your are at least a little handy, there's no reason to buy the Gen 4 due to grip differences. You can modify a polymer frame any way you wish to match your hand. A lot of people fill in the grip hole, then sand it down to reduce the size of the grip. I just sanded the the finger groves to better match my fingers, built up a beavertail (brownell's has a gray how to on this,) and then stippled my G-19. Never a failure, love my gen 3.

The gen 4 had spring problems that are suppose to be fixed ..Also if you can do no buy from CTD they threw us all under the bus .. Order from Midway or such they stood with us more then CTD

Also the texture is different on a gen 4 then a 3 ..

The deal with mags is gen 4 mags were made for dual relse if he keep the mag relse on the normal side then gen 1-4 mags will work fine but you need gen 4 mags if you switch the mag drop Do Gen 4 Glocks Take Different Magazines than Gen 2 or Gen 3?

maxresdefault.jpg
    glockframesv1q10-41.jpgg17-all-model-sizes-fullsize.jpgglock9mmfamilyresizeddv7.jpgglockframesv1q10-41.jpgg17-all-model-sizes-fullsize.jpgglock9mmfamilyresizeddv7.jpg

Here is the mags for 25 bucks a pop http://www.midwayusa.com/product/322...-polymer-black CDNN also blow them out now and again..

Also as I am sure you know both the 17 round glock 17 and 33 round 17/18 stick mag work just great in the 19

Heck I have seen Korean made 19 mags for 6 bucks a pop not and again .. Good for the range at least but stick to factory for carry

Also I have used this holster for a 19 before I like them so far http://rcsgear.com/ .. But any good hoslter will be nice I think Galco makes good stuff for a good price ..

Gun Review: Glock 19 Gen4 9X19mm | The Truth About Guns

This talks about it and the issues

http://www.glockforum.net/forum/gloc...-resolved.html

sound like you call and ask them and if problem they send a new spring no big deal ..

Also dont quote me but I think the finish is different on gen 4s

Also here is a photo of all the glock mags you may run into esp at a gun show

This is good to know as the early mags 3mag-gens.jpg were not drop free I think in the above 1-3 are not true drop free. Ie they either have to have a cetian number of rounds fired to drop or need to be pulled out .

Finnaly AIM suprule has used 19 mags for like 15 buck now and again but the shipping is hight and some of them are pretty rusty

And if you see one markd LEO only that is from 94 ban years so are prefect legal to own now I have more then a few
    StormRhydr likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Side note - Midway usa doesn't sell guns, just about everything else.

Ok, If your buying for someone who doesn't have a Glock, I'd prob just go gen 3 as well.

That said, I have two gen 4's - My G19, which as of this Friday, has 1,650 or so trouble free rounds through it. I have seen if fail to feed twice, but both time's with new shooters, both were women, so I'm 95% sure it was limp wristing (yes a glock can malfunction, if you don't believe it you haven't shot them enough). When I bought my 19 I was told/shown the warranty work where it had the recalled guide rod spring and the ejector replaced - I've had ZERO problems from either shooting it myself.
    I also have a gen 4 G34 with about 200 trouble free rounds through it. I believe Glock has fixed the issues that it had with the gen 4's.

That said, I had a gen 3 G23 that was great, but when I went to get a new Glock (having a gen 3 already), when I held the gen 4, I thought it was a huge improvement - just based on the grip size + texture. If I had never held a gen 4, the gen 3's would have suited me fine. But spending 500 either way, I chose to spend the extra cash and go for the one I really liked. I looked into the gen 4 issues, felt glock had dealt with them, and made my decision - I'm glad I chose the gen 4.

If your worried about the gen 4 reliability, get the gen 3. If your someone who has held a gen 4 and likes it, get a gen 4 - I think they're good to go now.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I have owned 3 gen 4s and have had zero issues with them. I know if you read the opinions of the vocal minority on some of these websites you will think the gen 4 are as bad as a high point....truth is there was some initial issues which have long been fixed...

The difference between gen 3 & 4 that I like is the backstraps (new beavertails are great),the larger mag release and to a lesser degree the grip texture. Any gen 3 and above mag will work flawlessly. Also with gen 4 you get 3 mags not 2 like gen 3,thus the 40-50$ premium over gen 3.
    If buying as a gift the gen 4 offers the receiving party the ability to change out the backstraps to their liking.

In the end its a glock...can't go wrong with either.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    I am planning to purchase, for my son's 41st birthday, a Glock 19 in 9mm. He got his Florida FCWL on Christmas Eve.

What are the differences between the Gen 3 and Gen 4, beyond fitting his hand. He wants a Glock.

So far, I understand that the backstrap has changeability, and that the mag release can be switched - something that is not important for him, since he is right handed, on the Gen 4.

Are there different magazines for the Gen 4 only. I saw some indication on Cheaper Than Dirt about that. He will need an extra magazine as a range mag, keeping his initial two for carry.

Any comments or advice or suggestions welcome.
    Find him a nice Gen 2.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Find him a nice Gen 2.
    Or a gen 1 there is a investment piece ..

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Or a gen 1 there is a investment piece ..

Yep.

I posted that same picture some time ago when we were discussing the Gen 1 19s being built with chopped 17 frames.

I'm still keeping an eye out for a Gen 2.5 G17.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Yep.

I posted that same picture some time ago when we were discussing the Gen 1 19s being built with chopped 17 frames.

I'm still keeping an eye out for a Gen 2.5 G17.

I at one point had a gen 2 17 still wish I had it ..

For some reason I like the smooth nature of gen 1 . I hope to have one some day just something about them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links