Taurus 709 slim problems

Taurus 709 slim problems

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 slim problems within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anybody else had problems with the 709 ? I'm having constant failure to ejects. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Taurus 709 slim problems

Taurus 709 slim problems

Has anybody else had problems with the 709 ? I'm having constant failure to ejects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My son's Taurus 709 performs fine. Google the problem and checkout You Tube. I'm betting someone else has run into the same problem, and welcome to the forum from Texas!

Thanks! Finally got around to it. Been meaning to join for a while. Texas is my home state. Yeah I checked the net and yes, same probs. guess I'll send it back for repairs.

Using Tapatalk

What ammunition are you having problems with?

How many rounds thru the gun ?

I'm sorry you're having problems. I know it's frustrating but don't give up. Call Taurus and see what they think.

Do a search for Taurus in the forum search window...it should help you ID the problem pretty quickly.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Very early ones had some problems with broken extractors. This was mainly due to people manually putting a round in the chamber and them releasing the slide on it. This gun has to be chambered from the bottom (i.e. a magazine). Regardless of how it happened, my bet is that the tip of the extractor is broken. They changed the design and they can send you a new one or you can send it back and they'll put a new one in for you. It's not a major undertaking. I've also read that Winchester White Box ammo is not a consistently good performer. I haven't used it in mine, so I don't know. Read that early on and just stayed away from it and have had no problems.

I have an early PT709 in SS slide and have never had any failures with it in 3,000+ rounds. But since I have one I've stayed on top of issues people have seen with them and why they occurred. 99% of the issues were people not reading the manual and not following it (i.e. the manually loading the chamber and releasing the slide, not cleaning at 200 rounds, etc.). I hope you get it resolved and let us know what you find out.
    whittsailor likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

The 709 does not run well when dry or dirty. After 100 or so rounds at the range mine will start to FTE. A quick lube job gets it working again.
    whittsailor likes this.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Are you having problems with different kinds of ammo? When I first got mine it had all kinds of problems the first 50 rounds. I was afraid I had bought a lemon. Once I got through that first 50 round box of Fiocchi FMJ and switched to PMC it functioned just fine. Since then I've shot WWB, PMC and Blazer brass through it as well as my carry loads (124 gr. +p Gold Dots) and it has functioned flawlessly. I chalked those early malfunctions up to ammo. Either the ammo itself was faulty or, more likely, that gun doesn't get along with that particular ammo for whatever reason. It's still very frustrating though. Thankfully my 709 is a BUG and I only carry it on those rare occasions when I absolutely can't carry one of my larger guns. Even though I'm pretty sure it was an ammo problem I still don't trust it completely. I've shot hundreds of rounds of that same ammo through my Glocks and they don't seem to mind it one bit.

I had problems with mine. The extractor was really smooth and would not grab the shell. They replaced the extractor twice. This one seems very sharp, although I have not tested it enough to say it is fixed.

The one I had never had any problems of any kind and was a good gun but Taurus can be pretty hit or miss. Now the PT140 I had was one of those that must have been produced on Friday.

You will find a mixed bag of taurus fand and haters here... and with good reason for both sides. Hope you get everything sorted out with taurus quickly and let us know what you find out.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I have used all sorts of brands. I've had the most trouble with Winchester white box. I've since read that these guns don't seem to eat these well. I want to give taurus a chance to make it right. No brand is perfect and I'm an understanding guy. If a person was judged on just a few of his actions we would all be in trouble!! Lol.

Using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    I'm am down right shocked! Hehe

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Look for burrs or chip on the extractor, ejector and barrel. If that all looks good try a magazine change next before sending off. I had a colt 1911 that was junk before i discovered it was a bad extractor. They can and will chip. My gun was new to boot too. All autos have to be considered as junk no matter what they cost until it can be ascertained that their combat reliable to save ur life when it's needed. It makes no difference if it a Taurus or a top self Ed. Brown 1911 an unreliable gun is junk nothing more.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links