SIG P290RS and/or Glock 42?

This is a discussion on SIG P290RS and/or Glock 42? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (I already have a SIG P290RS) First, the measurements: Model-------------------Length--- Height- Width--- Weight (oz.)- Caliber SIG P290 (Measured)---5.5”------4.4”*----.94”------20.7---------9mmP Glock42 (As Published)-5.94”-----4.13”----.94”------13.76------.380ACP *Published as 3.9”, which ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By pixel5
  • 1 Post By NickBurkhardt
  • 1 Post By Stoveman

Thread: SIG P290RS and/or Glock 42?

North Carolina (The Eagle is from Alaska)

SIG P290RS and/or Glock 42?

(I already have a SIG P290RS)

First, the measurements:

Model-------------------Length--- Height- Width--- Weight (oz.)- Caliber
    SIG P290 (Measured)---5.5”------4.4”*----.94”------20.7---------9mmP
    Glock42 (As Published)-5.94”-----4.13”----.94”------13.76------.380ACP
    *Published as 3.9”, which is accurate only if magazine and sights are removed!

I haven’t yet seen/fondled/fired a G42 yet, but it appears to me the only SIG-nificant compactness advantage the Glock 42 has over the SIG is it’s 6.94 oz. lighter weight.

I carry a seven-shot 9mm. SIG P290 instead of a ten-shot .40 S&W Glock 27 ONLY when I cannot conceal a Glock 27. If I do resort to carrying the P290, it’s likely to be in the “Appendix” position, where I allow ONLY Double Action Only (DAO) weapons. All you internet commandos are perfectly welcome to carry a cocked ‘n locked single action (or a Glock “Safe Action”) pistol there, pointed at YOUR femoral artery (and privates). I consider a Glock “Safe Action” a single action as far as my trigger finger is concerned, so you won’t be finding a Glock 42 there in MY waistband nuzzling my appendectomy scar, should I decide to buy one.

The Sig P290RS is one of the most compact, though not the lightest, of the recent crop of sub-compact 9mm’s. Over the past year or two I have extensively auditioned the Kahr PM9, Beretta NANO, and the earlier SIG P290 (Non-RS). All proved unreliable despite allowing their makers two opportunities each to address their malfunctioning products. My P290RS however, has refused to malfunction, so it has earned its place in my carry roster, albeit as a pinch-hitter. I am willing to believe that MY P290 may be a reliable fluke, but it has proved itself to me.

Of course, should all other things prove equal, the SIG's 9mm chambering wins!

(Despite a century of mediocre performance ) "With modern ammunition, 9mm is (finally) just as effective as larger calibers" (Yeah, Right!)
    (...and Let me save those same cliché-spewers among us the effort: No, I don't want to be shot with ANY caliber!)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I like to own different options but in your case, I think you should stay with the SIG.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I have really small hands for a dude. My wife is 5'2" and has hands almost as big as mine. I can't stand the mouse sized guns. Just can't get a good grip on them.

Aside from that matter of opinion, Glock screwed up with the G42. It's way bigger than it needs to be...and it's .380.

Quote Originally Posted by ExGM View Post
    ... it’s likely to be in the “Appendix” position, where I allow ONLY Double Action Only (DAO) weapons. All you internet commandos are perfectly welcome to carry a cocked ‘n locked single action (or a Glock “Safe Action”) pistol there, pointed at YOUR femoral artery (and privates). I consider a Glock “Safe Action” a single action as far as my trigger finger is concerned, so you won’t be finding a Glock 42 there in MY waistband nuzzling my appendectomy scar, should I decide to buy one.
    Voted for most astute quote of the year.

The things lefties have to worry about...

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Voted for most astute quote of the year.

The things lefties have to worry about...
    Can we have a lefty forum? I feel we deserve our own private club. You right handed peasants can get rather annoying.
    RoadRunner71 and whittsailor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I like to own different options but in your case, I think you should stay with the SIG.
    I WILL be keeping the P290RS in any case. I was just thinking out loud about adding a G42 to the stable. I'll just have to see one and then decide whether to buy, or wait for a similar 9mm version.

(Despite a century of mediocre performance ) "With modern ammunition, 9mm is (finally) just as effective as larger calibers" (Yeah, Right!)
    (...and Let me save those same cliché-spewers among us the effort: No, I don't want to be shot with ANY caliber!)

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    How about a Sig290 in .380?
    halem1 likes this.

A .380 chambered version of a 9mm pistol is of no interest to me, or my wife, as long as the 9mm version is totally dependable However, it may fit some peoples' needs better than a 9mm.

VIP Member
    I'm also trying to find a reason to get the 42, but meh.....

If you like/want it, get it.
    ExGM likes this.

Sig.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    The main reason to get the G42 is so you can have a Glock trigger in a .380 pistol.

Links