Cougar 8000

This is a discussion on Cougar 8000 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone seen a Cougar 8000 by Stoeger? I have read two very favorable reviews touting them as great bargains. The retail for these is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cougar 8000

Cougar 8000

Has anyone seen a Cougar 8000 by Stoeger? I have read two very favorable reviews touting them as great bargains. The retail for these is $320 and they hold 15 rounds of 9mm or 10 rounds of 40 S&W. This is the old Berreta design, it is now made in Turkey, and marketed in the US by Stoeger Industries a Berreta subsidiary. They sound like a good choice for car/house service. Regards, Richard

2. Remove Ads

The latest issue of Guns & Ammo magazine features the Cougar. It's a good article. I haven't handled one yet but I like the rotating barrel concept. I believe it would be a fine gun, and the price is right.

It's a great gun. Stoeger got the exact specs from Beretta. Very highly recommended.

looks like something half-way between a 92FS and a PX4 Storm. if the design is from beretta, it's probably a reliable design.

njeske, Berreta owns Stoeger. Regards, Richard

Yes I have seen and held one at my local "Sporting Goods" (even though it is a tool not sports equipment /rant-off) store.

I'm saving my pennies... $349+$25 for transfer in my neck of the woods.

Beretta moved the machines/tooling to Stoeger so they could make them in Turkey.

I owned a cougar 8040 in 1996 that I got rid of about 3 years ago. I paid $595 for mine. Now they are under $400.

It was a nice shooting gun, but I needed the cash at the time.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

well for a throw down gun the price is high. i would get a kel tec p11 and put some money back into my pocket. and the kel tec is made in the usa, not turkey. that reason not to buy the gun.

Throw down gun? Are you serious?

Comparing a P11 to a Cougar is like comparing a Kia hatchback to a Toyota Camry sedan.

If it is a quality handgun at a reasonable price, who cares where it is made?
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

VIP Member
    I agree with jayhawk....that "version" of the Cougar is anything but a "throw down" gun...it's made to Beretta's specs, on Beretta tooling, with Beretta Italy folks inspecting the works....it other words, it's a Beretta made in Turkey and marketed under a Beretta sub, Stoeger.

By the way, I own two Beretta Cougars and both are outstanding firearms....I'd buy one of these "Made in Turkey" Cougars too if they only bloody made it in .357 SIG (yes, I know Beretta has the 8357)
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I'm planning to get the 40 version when they go on sale. It is slightly bigger than my carry gun.

I did a touch and feel with one a Gander MT last weekend. It was 349 list for the 9mm version.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    I agree with jayhawk....that "version" of the Cougar is anything but a "throw down" gun...it's made to Beretta's specs, on Beretta tooling, with Beretta Italy folks inspecting the works....it other words, it's a Beretta made in Turkey and marketed under a Beretta sub, Stoeger.
    Another analogy would be Volkswagen. Most of their cars are/were made in Mexico (except for Passat) according to Volkswagen configurations and whatnot. Of course this is different because it was still under the VW brand name.

But another example would be Toyota in Mexico. Not only do they have the Camry but they have their own "flavors" of Toyota such as the "Concha". I know it kinda doesn't have anything to do with the topic but I just wanted to support the debate.

Jeez, you can check out the whole "This is our truck, this is our country" add campaign for the Chev Silverado... Silverado trucks made in Ontario CANADA by GM Canada...

In this day and age, no one country is superior in manufacturing over another... Any product can be made OEM to the purchasers BOM, be that junk or top shelf...

How challenging would it be to use this weapon for CCW? How much of a pain is it to hide a weapon with the Cougar being as wide as it is?
    Beretta 92FS

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    How challenging would it be to use this weapon for CCW? How much of a pain is it to hide a weapon with the Cougar being as wide as it is?
    My main carry gun is a Cougar 8040. I'm a big guy and in a Hume pancake OWB, it is great to carry.

The Cougar is an excellent gun. I load it with some hard-hitting Ranger 165 grain ammo and the reduced felt recoil by virtue of the rotating barrel design make it feel like you are shooting a soft 40, not a +p at all. Very easy to control and get your sights back on CM.

I've not shot a Stoeger Cougar yet, but being the same design, same tooling, and being inspected by Beretta, I would give it a SOLID thumbs-up.
    Regards,
    Dino

-NRA Member
    -IDPA Member
    -IHMSA Member
    -Beretta Addict (but I do own 1911's, and even a couple of wheelguns too!)
    -I also have GAS (Gun Addiction Syndrome)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links