Oldies but Goodies 380 guns

This is a discussion on Oldies but Goodies 380 guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just as the Thread states... Let's see YOURS!! The heck with the "wonder guns" Tupperware, plastic, etc. (No insults intended here) I'm sure you've got ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Oldies but Goodies 380 guns

Just as the Thread states...
    Let's see YOURS!! The heck with the "wonder guns" Tupperware, plastic, etc. (No insults intended here)
    I'm sure you've got a couple hanging around, maybe not like these but, Oldies but goodies non the less!

I've had these 2 guns for about 15-25 yrs. they were made in the mid 70s...... Imported by Firearms International of Washington DC. These are the decendants of the Star DK 380 pistol, that was banned from importation due to the GCA of 1968. Star was contracted by Colt, to make the Colt Pony 380, which they made, but in VERY FEW numbers. Colt cancelled the contract and then Garcia and F I imported the guns. The frames were stamped CPA prefix (Colt Pony Automatic) and the guns came in via Virginia and Washington DC. FI went out, and Iver Johnson started making them from the remaining CPA frames, until Iver didn't make em any more.
    Star Firearms : D-Series Pistols
    This is primarily where the Colt Mustang, and Sig P238 got the design (from the Star DK)
    Some of the guns we see today, have their roots derrived from odd places in the World.
    If you see one, fondle it, and I'm guessing you just might be bringing it home with you.
    The 2 guns you see in the pics are as close as a Colt Pony as they come, except for the Rollmarks that would say "Colt' You could even replace the F I medalions with ones from a Colt and they'd fit right in.
    Just a little bit of history.
    Attached Images
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

A co-worker gave me this. It was his Dad's. It looks brand spanking new. Flat nose FMJ works fine out of it, but it doesn't like other types. I have the original box, manual, and he just gave me the mag loader assist device too. I believe it was manufactured in 1968.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    A co-worker gave me this. It was his Dad's. It looks brand spanking new. Flat nose FMJ works fine out of it, but it doesn't like other types. I have the original box, manual, and he just gave me the mag loader assist device too. I believe it was manufactured in 1968.
    Nice, I just recently picked up the 22LR version.
    CLASS3NH and BugDude like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

DUDE! Those Ermas are GREAT GUNS! Had a couple of them at the store and they FLEW out the door at about 375.00 each... Niiiiice! That's what I'm talkin about...
    C'Mon people..... Let's See your stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    DUDE! Those Ermas are GREAT GUNS! Had a couple of them at the store and they FLEW out the door at about 375.00 each... Niiiiice! That's what I'm talkin about...
    C'Mon people..... Let's See your stuff!
    I saw some ERMA KGP68s sell on Gunbroker recently for $600 - $700 bucks. Like new, original box, manual, etc. Crazy.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

No plastic? This thread's for me!

I'm really keen on the Remington Model 51 .380 I got from a fine fellow Forum member only last fall. A minimum of 80 years old, and more likely closer to 90 years old, it's a marvelous wonder of design and craftsmanship. Ahead of its time, its handling characteristics and accuracy puts any other .380 ACP pistol I've ever shot to shame, and I've shot 'em all at some point. It's a .380 pistol that's actually addictively fun to shoot. It's as thin as the thinnest but its other dimensions are a bit too large to suit most folks' sensibilities today and it's all steel so it's too heavy for this generation of shooters. No matter. I like it. I might even carry it around town a bit.

The Model 51 side-by-side with a Kel Tec P3AT

My uncle had both a Remington Model 51 and a Walther PP, both in .380 ACP. I shot one of the two of them when I was a kid but it's been so long ago I can't recall which one it was.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I saw some ERMA KGP68s sell on Gunbroker recently for $600 - $700 bucks. Like new, original box, manual, etc. Crazy.
    Yep! That's the going rate for those mastpeices! They ARE a work of art. Lotsa parts machined, not pressed together. Your Ermas were the Baby Lugers. Well made, and hand fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    No plastic? This thread's for me!

I'm really keen on the Remington Model 51 .380 I got from a fine fellow Forum member only last fall. A minimum of 80 years old, and more likely closer to 90 years old, it's a marvelous wonder of design and craftsmanship. Ahead of its time, its handling characteristics and accuracy puts any other .380 ACP pistol I've ever shot to shame, and I've shot 'em all at some point. It's a .380 pistol that's actually addictively fun to shoot. It's as thin as the thinnest but its other dimensions are a bit too large to suit most folks' sensibilities today and it's all steel so it's too heavy for this generation of shooters. No matter. I like it. I might even carry it around town a bit.

The Model 51 side-by-side with a Kel Tec P3AT

My uncle had both a Remington Model 51 and a Walther PP, both in .380 ACP. I shot one of the two of them when I was a kid but it was so long ago I can't recall which one it was.
    I'm liking every bit of it!.. NICE Toys! Keep em coming!
    Let's show everybody that we know what we're talking about..
    Don't get me wrong, BUT, a vast amount of wonder toys came from the designs of the older guns
    OD* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I'm liking every bit of it!.. NICE Toys! Keep em coming!
    Let's show the newbies that we know what we're talking about..
    Don't get me wrong, BUT, all the wonder toys came from the designs of the older guns
    Yep, you're right. Amazing how many of today's highly touted designs that may be found to have originated in commercially successful firearms that pre-date World War II.

About the only thing that isn't is the plastic.
    OD* likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Not a 380 but an old 30.

IMG_0436.jpg

30 Mauser that is.
    BugDude, CLASS3NH, OD* and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Not a 380 but an old 30.

IMG_0436.jpg

30 Mauser that is.
    OUTSTANDING!..........
    Let's open it up to the 25, 32, 30 luger, 9mm bergman, etc etc, and all those "old war horses" and so-called "boat anchors" that we have gently tucked waaaaay in the back of the safe..
    Gotta LOVE the way guns were made decades ago... Lotta love and sweat equity put into them.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    The big brothers.

Broomhandle_R.JPG IMG_0703.JPG IMG_0682.JPG

And a real oddball.

Hawkeye_R.jpg

OD*
    Nice Hawkeye!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Nice Hawkeye!
    Nice catch.

Just another day at the museum. Nothing to contribute but it's fun to be here anyway.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links