Canik 55 or (Zastava) CZ999

This is a discussion on Canik 55 or (Zastava) CZ999 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a cheaper full size 9mm auto. The Zastava CZ999 and Canik 55 seem interesting. I think one is a CZ75 copy and the ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By zonker1986

Thread: Canik 55 or (Zastava) CZ999

Canik 55 or (Zastava) CZ999

Looking for a cheaper full size 9mm auto. The Zastava CZ999 and Canik 55 seem interesting. I think one is a CZ75 copy and the other a Sig copy. Anyone have experience with them?

I'm just looking for info about these two, or something new in the same price range (SOG has either one available for mid $300s), not about saving up for something else
    How about a little fire, Scarecrow?

2. Remove Ads

J&G currently has used Beretta 92s for 330. I'd take one of those ahead of either of your listed choices.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

You can probably get an EAA/Tanfoglio Witness in that price range. It's an Italian CZ75 clone of good quality. Another option is a S&W SD9VE. You could possibly also find a Sig P250 in that price range if you're lucky.

I read a lot about the Caniks before buying a Witness, I didn't find anything bad about them. Don't know much about Zastava.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Canik 55 makes a CZ75 clone that is getting very good reviews on youtube. They also make the TP9 which is a Walther P99 clone which looks interesting. Tristar imports the all metal guns and Century International Arms imports the TP9. You can also find them direct from Buds but the price is almost $100 more for the same gun imported by Tristar.

Philly Boy likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

The Canik Shark FC is the CZ-75 clone.
    The Canik55 Shark (T-120) is the Jericho/Baby Desert Eagle clone, IIRC.
    The TP9 is the Clone of the Walther P99.
    I had a T-100 for a bit, solid quality, all aluminum with SS innards and made by an international arms manufacturer, with the Turkish military being one of their customers.
    Mine was a super quality sidearm, but I pretty much got away from 9mm altogether. Easy to carry cocked & locked w 5# trigger or 10# DA w De-cocker.

BudsGunShop.com carries them now with one in ceracoated OD color. Mine T-100 was the 15 rd mags, but most have the 17 rd Mec Gar Mags (quality).
    They are imported by Tristar in Kansas City, MO. I can see the price of these going up quite a bit once they get established.

Nuts, seems Zonker beat me to it.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Excuuuse me, but Caniks are not "clones." They are CZ "style."

I own both a CZ 75 stainless and a Canik Shark (and Stingray) we actually have two sharks. I think the fit and finish is better than the CZ and it feels better in my hand, YMMV. It's a very well made gun. My only concern is obtaining parts down the road since it's not a mainstream gun. I should have bought an extra one for parts back when I got mine for like $329. Now at $469 and up - I saw one in a gun store today for $499, plus about $40 tax. For about $100 more you can get a 92FS.

Anyway, the Zastavia or whatever it's spelled doesn't hold a candle to the Canik, IMHO.

Plus they have a cool web site. They supply the Turkish military and some Nato forces, apparently.

I'd take the CZ 999 gun. Looks like sig P226 mags grips and some parts might interchange
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Canik 55 is a teriffic gun and will become a very good seller once " the word " gets around. The main concern seems to be parts, etc. It does come with a kydex holster which, to my mind, beats a Blackhawk every day of the week. Around here dealers are listing them at about $ 390.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

P.S. When I got my "55" it only came in black. Now I'd go for the FDE or the OD Green.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I have a few canik 55 on my list. Quite a few people over at the cz forums reporting better fit and fin than cz's. Machining is supposed to be top quality.

Prices are already climbing more and more every couple months it seems. So get em while they are cheap.

I have both.

CZ999: This pistol is really well made. The action is butter smooth. I had reliability problems early on, but found out later that there was a lot of dirt in the magazines causing malfunctions. Cleaning mags/followers solved this problem, and I've had no additional problems in over 300 rounds fired. I can punch 1" groups on targets sited 10 yards away offhand. It's all steel, so it's heavy; but the weight makes recoil very manageable. It's easy to get back on target after each shot. SA trigger is nice; DA trigger isn't too bad. The decocker feature is nice to have. The only thing I don't like is that the grip is just a little wide for my medium hands.

TP-9: Manufacture on this pistol is OK. It's not bad, but the action is a little "gritty". Accuracy is good. It's been very reliable. No malfunctions in over 300 rounds. It's polymer and light for a full sized gun. Recoil is manageable and target reacquisition is good. The trigger takes some getting used to. SA trigger is hard to describe, but there's 2 stages: there's an initial pull which is slightly heavy, then it "locks" into the SA position, which is lighter. It's not bad, just different. DA trigger is rough. I've tried cleaning and doing the $0.25 trigger job, but I just can't get the grittiness out of the trigger. The decocker is nice. Ergonomics are good. I was attracted to the amazing value you get with this pistol: 2 mags, holster, case, changeable backstraps, etc.

I don't regret either purchase.

Links