SIG 245 Vs. Kahr p45

This is a discussion on SIG 245 Vs. Kahr p45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't decide what to get. I have a Sig P220, so I am more familiar with the Sig. The Kahr fits my hand well ...

Thread: SIG 245 Vs. Kahr p45

New Member Array leveraction jackson's Avatar

SIG 245 Vs. Kahr p45

I can't decide what to get. I have a Sig P220, so I am more familiar with the Sig. The Kahr fits my hand well and looks easier to conceal.
    Please help.

2. Remove Ads

I swear by and at my SIG's,,, I love the 220 but thought the 245 was a miss, never felt right in the hand, haven't had a chance to shoot the Khar 45,,just fondled it... Love Khars by and large, but have backed away from their polymer ones, just too many brithing problems,,but in fairness haven't heard of any yet on the 45.

THe Khar for me is easier to carry,,and I like the trigger on the T9

Of the two, Kahr P45 based on size

Quote Originally Posted by leveraction jackson View Post
    I can't decide what to get. I have a Sig P220, so I am more familiar with the Sig. The Kahr fits my hand well and looks easier to conceal.
    Please help.
    I don't know if you are aware of this, but the Sig P245 has been discontinued, and is no longer shown on the Sigarms website. They have introduced a P220 "carry" product with a shorter barrel (3.9 inches) than the original P220, and it may be intended to fill the short .45 market niche for Sig. Of course, there may still be new P245s in the dealer pipeline from prior production.

But in answer to your question, I would probably pick the Kahr P45 for concealed carry over the Sig P245, simply because the Kahr is much slimmer and lighter weight than the Sig, and would conceal more easily. They both have 6+1 ammo capacity, so that aspect is a draw.

For short .45s I personally prefer the 3 inch barrel 1911s, such as the Colt Defender and Kimber Ultra. These weigh about 25 ounces empty but hold 7+1 rounds of ammo with the right magazine, and are slimmer than the Sig and as slim as the Kahr.

Get the Sig P245.

It will accept the Sig P220 magazines.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    You wont go wrong with either one . Personaly i belive the kahr would nudge the sig out due to carryability, but this is not in any way ment to cast aspersions on sig pistols .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Hey, either one is going to be great for you. Is there a way you can shoot each before making your choice?

you could look at the glock 36. nice 45acp.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

P45 very slim, comfortable......barrel size is just over 3.5" Nice shooter

Seems you can narrow it down by defining clearly the task of said choices. Both offer certain advantages over the other and to some extent you may have already answered your question when you indicated the Kahr felt better.

The current production Sig pistol comparable to the Sig P245 is the Sig P220 Compact. It has the same dimensions and is virtually the same pistol. I've owned Kahrs and Sigs and still have the Sigs. If you are seriously considering the Kahr 45 pistol, do a little research on the internet first. I think it has had some reliablility issues....

WOW an '06 thread brought back to life.

Six year old thread...

I also noticed that this was a 2006 thread brought back to life. I also noticed that I posted on it originally, and recommended the Kahr over the Sig P245. Since that time I have failed to buy a Kahr 45 but did buy the Sig P245, so I didn't follow my own advice.

I have fired maybe 500 rounds through the Sig and like the gun. It seems to be reliable and accurate, with good ergonomics. The Sig is a little heavier, with an aluminum frame instead of polymer, and only holds 6+1 rounds of ammo. But it has a short, narrow grip and conceals quite well. I like the DA/SA trigger system since I have other Sigs. So I guess now I would recommend the P245 for consideration.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Links