Remington R51 - Page 2

Remington R51

This is a discussion on Remington R51 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is a cool looking gun but I will wait until it gets some mileage on it. Too many recalls on new models regardless of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Remington R51

It is a cool looking gun but I will wait until it gets some mileage on it. Too many recalls on new models regardless of the manufacturer.
    MikeNice likes this.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    It's actually not a new design. It was originally designed by one of J. Browning's protégés. His name escapes me. I saw the gun and was able to briefly handle it. It is very smooth. All the edges have been rounded. When we were looking at it, there were several questions asked about the type of aluminum alloy used that we were not able to get answers for. There is some concern that the frame may not be strong enough and could deform. It is a great looking gun that is to be priced around $369.00 if I remember correctly. It will sell just for the price.

I have put in my allocation. I could have a few in a month or 6 months. My distributors are not giving us any info yet even if they know.
    Is there not a steel insert to take the brunt of the force?

Let me know how the beta testing works out.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Guns & Ammo magazine is now on the news stand. Very favourable review.

I want one.
    Yeah, but when was the last time they met a gun they didn't like? Not knocking the R51, but the gun rags.
    TheBigWanad likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Checked two of my go-to LGSs yesterday, one of them has pre-ordered 10 of 'em. Unless there's an unseen deal-breaker upon my personal inspection, two of them are...MINE! Don't fret my brothers & sisters, I plan to run the living snot out of them. Y'all will be the 2nd to know both the good AND the bad.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I've seen the MSRP published at $389 or $379 several places.
    Last quote I saw for MSRP was $420 (sorry, don't recall where) Have only seen one site online that was taking pre-orders and their asking price was $499 (for sight unseen, I'll pass at that price)

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Checked two of my go-to LGSs yesterday, one of them has pre-ordered 10 of 'em. Unless there's an unseen deal-breaker upon my personal inspection, two of them are...MINE! Don't fret my brothers & sisters, I plan to run the living snot out of them. Y'all will be the 2nd to know both the good AND the bad.
    Look forward to a review after you (and anyone else who gets one early on ) have had a chance to put them thru the ringer, it's an interesting pistol for sure.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm not paying above MSRP for anything. I remember people paying thousands above MSRP when the PT Cruisers came out. Idiots.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yep, but some people will pay the asking price no matter what it is, just cause they want one and demand exceeds supply (I'm not one of those people however) .
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    When was the last time they met a gun they didn't like? Not knocking the R51, but the gun rags.
    Seeing as I don't subscribe to G&A, I couldn't honestly answer.

What caught my imagination was when talking about the cycling speed:
    This system is so fast that an engineer at Remington was able to fire 0.8-split second times between shoots. Incredible. To give you an idea of how fast that really is, most pro shooters' split times are in the .17-second range. Going a step further, a full-size 1911 requires 0.10 of a second to cycle. So, to say the recoil system of this pistol is efficient would be an understatement.
    In other words you should be able to double tap very well.

What wasn't mentioned, and what I always look for most, are whether or not there were any FTF/FTEs. Just that over 1500 rounds were fired "through a few different samples."

As far as ergonomics go, it appeals to me. I should be able to wrap all three bottom fingers around the grip. That's very important to me. ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerjames
    Subcompact? The thing is is like 6.75" or something.
    6.62" long, 4.6" high, 0.90" slide width, 1.07" total width (includes slide release thickness).

It's not the length that dictates whether or not a pistol is a micro, sub-compact, compact, or full size, it's the height. At 4.6" high it is less than the 5.0" height of a true compact. That makes it a sub-compact. What you may be referring to are micro-compacts, tiny pocket guns. That it is not. Not everyone wants a micro pistol. The R51 has a 3.4" barrel, not the under 3.0" of a micro pistol. At 21.9 oz. it won't appeal to the micro-pistol crowd, ie, those interested in the PM380, LCP, etc. But it does compare favourably with the SIG P232's 6.60"l x 4.70"h x 1.20"w 3.60" barreled, 18.5 oz. pistol, which many consider the acme of the pocket pistol. I just hope that it is just as reliable. Being $150 cheaper certainly appeals to me.

No, chances are that it will appeal most to the 1911ers because of it's SAO trigger, slide width, full hand presentation, those who have no problems with a grip safety. It will probably have no appeal to the DAO, DA/SA, no-safeties, under 12 oz. crowd. All the Glockers will sneer at it - "21 oz.? That's how much my G19 weighs! Why the heck would I want to carry 7 when I can carry 16?" It'll definitely turn off the G26 crowd. But I would rather have the R51 than the G26. Everything else is splitting hairs: Once someone rationalises that 1.18" (G19, G26) is really not that much bigger than 0.90" (R51) {That's about 1/3"} then why were the G30 @1.27" slide width lovers enamoured with the G36's 1.13" slide width? Trust me, 1/3" of an inch is big.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Seeing as I don't subscribe to G&A, I couldn't honestly answer.

What caught my imagination was when talking about the cycling speed:

In other words you should be able to double tap very well.

What wasn't mentioned, and what I always look for most, are whether or not there were any FTF/FTEs. Just that over 1500 rounds were fired "through a few different samples."

As far as ergonomics go, it appeals to me. I should be able to wrap all three bottom fingers around the grip. That's very important to me. ymmv.

6.62" long, 4.6" high, 0.90" slide width, 1.07" total width (includes slide release thickness).

It's not the length that dictates whether or not a pistol is a micro, sub-compact, compact, or full size, it's the height. At 4.6" high it is less than the 5.0" height of a true compact. That makes it a sub-compact. What you may be referring to are micro-compacts, tiny pocket guns. That it is not. Not everyone wants a micro pistol. The R51 has a 3.4" barrel, not the under 3.0" of a micro pistol. At 21.9 oz. it won't appeal to the micro-pistol crowd, ie, those interested in the PM380, LCP, etc. But it does compare favourably with the SIG P232's 6.60"l x 4.70"h x 1.20"w 3.60" barreled, 18.5 oz. pistol, which many consider the acme of the pocket pistol. I just hope that it is just as reliable. Being $150 cheaper certainly appeals to me.

No, chances are that it will appeal most to the 1911ers because of it's SAO trigger, slide width, full hand presentation, those who have no problems with a grip safety. It will probably have no appeal to the DAO, DA/SA, no-safeties, under 12 oz. crowd. All the Glockers will sneer at it - "21 oz.? That's how much my G19 weighs! Why the heck would I want to carry 7 when I can carry 16?" It'll definitely turn off the G26 crowd. But I would rather have the R51 than the G26. Everything else is splitting hairs: Once someone rationalises that 1.18" (G19, G26) is really not that much bigger than 0.90" (R51) {That's about 1/3"} then why were the G30 @1.27" slide width lovers enamoured with the G36's 1.13" slide width? Trust me, 1/3" of an inch is big.
    I just wanted to quote this because it was so accurate it bears repeating.

It is longer than my G26, it has roughly the same length barrel (0.06" shorter), it is roughly the same height as mine with the +2 extension, and only .1" thinner. I can't see giving up 5 rounds to carry a gun that is essentially the same size. That is a real shame because I was digging the look. I guess my next purchase will be something else.
    Remember the teacher telling you to “Bring enough for everybody”? That applies to gunfights, too. ~ Sarge @ Sarge's Roll Call

I will not be the first one in the door ,but after it has been out awhile I will give it a good look. Don't really have a use for another small 9mm.
    But having a use for it was never required when buying a weapon. It is easy to invent a use.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.

I played with all of the R51s Remington had at the Harrisburg Outdoor Show today at Remington's booth. I don't care for them one bit.

The slides were all gritty and the triggers were all bad. I also didn't care for the grip safety. I felt like I had to think about making sure it was engaged, rather than with a 1911, where it just is. This thing is also considerably larger that what everyone seems to be hyping it up as.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    Is there not a steel insert to take the brunt of the force?
    The slide is stainless. The frame is apparently 7075 aluminum. The pistol is rated to +P The pistol has a locking breech block within the slide. It's a delayed blowback so the concern is pressure. it may also produce wear on the slide. It's not a micro but light weight at 22 oz. with a 3.2" bbl. I don't know of any steel in the frame.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice View Post
    I can't see giving up 5 rounds to carry a gun that is essentially the same size.
    That's the same argument as always. But there are people who would rather have a PPS than a G26. It just feels better in the hand, to them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links