Defensive Carry banner

10mm Anyone pack one?

6K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  RSSZ 
#1 · (Edited)
Well as the weird thoughts just keep coming ive been intersted in getting a 10mm.

Would prefer a Delta Elite but would only buy a NIB i could take apart Heard about Frames Crack So im thinking a Glock 20

Been reading up on it and seems people think its overkill... Hum i always though over kill was jsut enough till ya get like a 454 or 500sw i dont see how it could be over kill...

The 10mm Runs somewhat close in a factory laoding to a 41 mag edge 41 mag back when 41 was new police liked it but didnt like the 44 framed gun they were building it on to big heavy ..

So if 10mm is overkill but 41 was just right what am i missing?357 is enough and packs a excellent punch and many think the 40 is ok..

Is it overkill becuse of over pentration or Something Else... I ask becuse i really dont know a whole lot about the 10mm but what i have read on internet i know thw 40 short and weak as lots call it is just a 10mm Short...or spiecal..Also i know FBI tried it but beyond that no clue.

Not sure if i will buy it to carry or another to add to my collection What an i say im running out of stuff i want just wanna know if anyone packs on or if no

Thx for any info :shootin:

See less See more
#2 ·
Bud White said:
Well as the weird thoughts just keep coming ive been intersted in getting a 10mm.

Nothing weird about that! 10mm is an awesome round!

Would prefer a Delta Elite but would only buy a NIB i could take apart Heard about Frames Crack So im thinking a Glock 20

I have heard some stories of the same, but only in first gen releases. The pistol in the following releases is suposed to be a great deal better. Besides, good recoil springs and buffers can reduce wear and shock.

Been reading up on it and seems people think its overkill... Hum i always though over kill was jsut enough till ya get like a 454 or 500sw i dont see how it could be over kill...

Personaly...there is no such thing as overkill...only being certain. The 10mm is a magnum class round. As a result it is not for the novice shooter. Opinions will very, but my experiance has been nothing but positive. People worry about overpenetration...well...use hevy bullets...and try not to miss...that is worse then over penetrating.

The 10mm Runs somewhat close in a factory laoding to a 41 mag edge 41 mag back when 41 was new police liked it but didnt like the 44 framed gun they were building it on to big heavy ..

The 10mm is very close to .41 mag...in weight and performance. It has good power range and bullet weight range. It will take care of buisness and thats what you would expect from it.

So if 10mm is overkill but 41 was just right what am i missing?357 is enough and packs a excellent punch and many think the 40 is ok..

Opinion...many people donot care for the 10mm for various reasons. Recoil shy donot like it...it is loud, it does recoil a bit. But, it provides a magnum class round in a service size and smaller package. When I get a compact it will be a 10mm due to it's excellent performance in smaller weapons.

Is it overkill becuse of over pentration or Something Else... I ask becuse i really dont know a whole lot about the 10mm but what i have read on internet i know thw 40 short and weak as lots call it is just a 10mm Short...or spiecal..Also i know FBI tried it but beyond that no clue.

Almost every round overpenetrats. We had an officer involved shooting a year ago with 357 sig. 3 rounds fired, all 3 over penetrated. So to me that is not a valid point even though it can be a concern. Some think the round is to much. I donot things so as I have shot the hell out of mine and love it. Until I got my 1911 I carried a 10mm every day. Do some checking over at glocktalk in the 10mm forum you can get some good info there. BTW my weapon is a Tanfoglio...15rds 10mm all steel pistol.

Not sure if i will buy it to carry or another to add to my collection What an i say im running out of stuff i want just wanna know if anyone packs on or if no

Thx for any info :shootin:
Get your hands on one and shoot it. It's the only way to be sure. But, I think if you do you will like it....a lot. Good luck I hope I have been of some assistance to you. If I can help more please let me know.

Partisan Ranger :comeandge

#3 ·
Kimber now has a fullsize Eclipse 1911 in 10mm. The picture is of an Eclipse Target model. The 10mm doesn't have adjustable sights....

From their website:

Eclipse Custom II 10mm

The powerful 10mm cartridge is known for its tremendous energy and flat trajectory. When chambered in a 1911 pistol it becomes a wonderful defense/carry cartridge. Some even swear by it for hunting. Based on customer requests, Kimber is producing a limited number of Eclipse Custom II pistols in this great cartridge. With all the standard Eclipse family features but with a traditional (internal) extractor, the Eclipse Custom II 10mm is a full size 1911 with a stainless steel slide and frame. The striking, two-tone Eclipse finish, gray/black laminated grips, three dot (green) Meprolight night sights, black small parts plus match grade barrel, trigger and barrel bushing make this pistol something special. Availability is limited and suggested list price is $1,208.

I would love to have one. :wink:

#4 ·
Ive thought about a Kimber but with the problems my 3 buddies have had with theres im really leary of them... Dan wesson makes 10mm in a 1911 but again i wanna see if first and no one stock DW round here a shame..

Figured most of the bad stuff lwrote about 10mm was bs im not worried about recoil i shoot a 454 casull stoked at full power for fun ..

Thx for the info.

#7 ·
Bud White said:
Didnt mean to leave the wheelies out forgot anyone still made one in 10mm
Bud, you are not alone in not knowing that anyone still makes a 10mm defensive revolver. :wink: I didn't until I ran across my 610 and had to have it.

You have to be willing to carry an N-Frame S&W. Can you say heavy. I went to the S&W 624, which believe it or not, is a fair bit lighter. However, all the weight of the 610 makes it fun to shoot. The 1911 style 10mm package would be so much easier to carry. If I like carrying a 1911 style I may have to look at a 1911 in 10mm. :biggrin:

#8 ·
The reason my old dept. Chose the .40 over the 10mm was a matter of night shooting. Seems the 10mm has a big flash(at least in a S&W auto) at night. The FBI picked it because of the better penetration. Car doors, glass, ect.

#9 ·
I adjust my carry piece to my PERCEIVED threat level, low threat I may only carry the .380, medium threat is the Glock 19 (9mm) or a 1911 .45, high threat I go for the Glock 20 (10mm). I load the G 20 with the original Black Talons, because I think it is about the best defense bullet ever, causes blood loss/pressure drop which will cause a cessation of hostilities AND by opening with the “talons” pointing forward and snagging on things it should help slow the bullet and reduce the chance for over penetration. I also will always take the 10mm when on the road, I keep one mag loaded with truncated cone FMJ handy just incase I need to punch car doors, the extra power of the 10mm could come in handy in such a situation. But, yes I do carry the 10mm from time to time, not every day, it's big, heavy some what uncomfortable, the compact model might be a better carry piece. As the wife has started calling the G19 "our" Glock I may let her take it over when she gets her CCW and replace it with a compact 10mm :biggrin: :shootin:

#10 ·
I carry a glock 29 or a kimber tactical ultra (45), I love both and won't give up either. I rotate depending on the clothing I'm wearing or where I'm going. The g29 is nice for the extra power and larger magizine. The gun shoots well and the only ftf or fte that have happened were during my try out of a new reload (bullet not seated far enough). I'd recommend the g29 to anyone, I'm sure the full size is similar. I did place Pierce grip extensions on the magazine bottoms because I have a pretty beefy hand.

#11 ·
Bud White said:
Ive thought about a Kimber but with the problems my 3 buddies have had with theres im really leary of them... Dan wesson makes 10mm in a 1911 but again i wanna see if first and no one stock DW round here a shame..

Figured most of the bad stuff lwrote about 10mm was bs im not worried about recoil i shoot a 454 casull stoked at full power for fun ..

Thx for the info.
I have never had any problem out of my Kimbers although I have heard of several. Most of them are related to their close tolerances. Just buy you one and hammer 500 rounds through it to get it broke in, then you should be in good shape. If you ever DO have a problem with a Kimber, they turn them around fast....

#16 ·
I saw something today that got my attention.

It was one of these:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976559146.htm

Smith and Wesson 1006. The seller wants $480 and could probably be talked down 20 or 30 dollars.

If not for the fact I'm broke, the fact that it's a weird and expensive caliber might not have kept me from being tempted to buy it. It's a nice gun, even if it's not my preferred format.

I have never understood why the 10mm didn't take off. I've heard it's because there aren't any nice guns in 10mm but I don't believe that at all after handling one.

#19 ·
Euclidean said:
Actually if not for the fact it has an external safety and I'm flat broke, I would have bought it regardless of its caliber.

I've recently had someone reccommend Smith and Wesson autos to me, and this person made a good suggestion.

I wish something like the 1006 in a more conventional caliber like .40 or 9mm and no external safety existed.

S&W makes DAO .40 and 9mm too. Or exactly as the 1006 just diffrent calibers. Personally I always found the S&W autos a bit bulky and heavy.

#21 ·
SPEAKING OF 10mm -Took my wife to the range and.....

Well some older gent decided that my attractive wife needed to try his Glock 20. Thinking that the "little lady" might try a man's gun. My wife took his Glock 20 and shot out the X ring and then shot a smily face on the torso target's face. She then politely handed the stunned gentleman back his pistol and thank him. NOW SHE WANTS A 10MM GLOCK 20!!!!!!!!!!! "Ooooh that was fun" "Let's get one of those". "If someone broke in the house I could protect myself better with one of those than my dinky 9mm." Yeah right! She is deadly with that "dinky" 9mm. She also shot a perfect score with a Kel-tec P32. She could have a slingshot and still have an advantage. Well I have to start saving for a Glock 20. Anyone else have these problems

#22 ·
hey there
Speaking of 10mm's I found a Delta Elite with a lotta extra parts on it.....with box, papers, etc. I placed it on HOLD til I can get my butt up to see it today........I've had one before, and it shot really well.....This one may also be a sleeper gun, just like the Lightweight Commander I sucked up a couple weeks ago.... I'll let you know what's up with the gun. :biggrin:

#23 ·
Glock 29---- Have fired my buddies at the range quite a few times. Between that and his G36 seems to me that the 36 has more recoil. The 29 definately has more flash and over pressure. The 10's have quite a few bullets to choose from. The 155's to the 200's being the norm. He hunts with a G20 and 200's and they seem to do a great job on 200+ pound hogs. For 2 legged hogs I can't see that a HOT loaded 155 would over penetrate. I'd love to see Glock come out with a single stack,mid size(like the 19 and 23) 10mm.I might come very close to buying one . The people that I know that use a Glock in 10mm,both for CCW and hunting,ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. IMHO the 10mm is a great cartridge.

#25 ·
The 10mm does nothing that the .45 Super doesn't do better, for a lot less money spent on guns, components,dies, magazines, and so on. The .45 Super case is not a whit thicker than the .45 ACP case. The ammo makers are just scared of blowing up some old clunker .45 and getting sued over it. If you use .45 Super case in a gun barrel that's not marked .45 Super, you have less standing to sue successfully. It's not that the .45 ACP case can't handle such pressures.

30 years ago, Dean Grinnel and Mason Williams were getting 165 gr jhp's over 1400 fps in a regular 5" 1911, using 10.0 grs of Unique.

#26 · (Edited)
Two posts into the forum and you start attacking people for thier choices of firearms? If you have nothing to add but discontent, then add nothing, or admit to being Gunkid. Disremember anyone mentioning the 45 Super. Nobody but triton makes the ammo, and the cheapest stuff is more expensive than anything 10mm except for Glasers.
Tanfolgio makes an excellent 10mm DA/SA. Dan Wesson/CZ-USA announce the new DW 10mm autos recently. I like the Razorback, but would go with the Tan simply because i like CZ style ergonomics, and DA/SA operation, not strictly SA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.