New Here - How I chose my carry gun

This is a discussion on New Here - How I chose my carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm new to your forum. I just received my CWP and here's how I decided on a gun to carry. I'm very familiar with ...

Thread: New Here - How I chose my carry gun

New Here - How I chose my carry gun

Hi, I'm new to your forum.

I just received my CWP and here's how I decided on a gun to carry.

I'm very familiar with the Beretta 92 FS and I set out to find a carry gun in 9mm. I did as much research online as possible and narrowed my choices down to 3: The Glock 26, Kahr PM9 and the Beretta 9000s.

I went to a local shop that happened to have all 3 guns in stock and I compared them side by side. The Glock and Kahr were both nice guns but I chose the Beretta 9000s based on feel in my hand, round capacity and value for the dollar. I have large hands and the Beretta grip fit the best for me. The Glock is 10 rounds, the Kahr 6 rounds and the Beretta is 12.

Also, the Beretta was considerably less expensive. The Kahr was a little under $600, the Glock was right around $500 and the Beretta was $359 (asking price). The best price I found online for the 9000s was $339 shipped. So after transfer ($25) and background ($5) that would have been $369. The local dealer did $349 plus tax ($21) and background ($5) so I was at $375 and got to deal with someone local.

So that's how I decided on a carry weapon. What were factors in your choice?

Here's the 9000s

With it's big brother my tricked out Beretta 92FS...

Pair of Nines

2. Remove Ads

nice looking gun. let us know how it shoots. they tell us what type of guns we can carry and i match my carry with my raids gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Lead Moderator
    Nice.I started with a HK USP. since no small version was around, I got a Taurus PT140. since traded it to a 1911 compact.
    I like the fact you carry 2 similar guns,very good choice. Let us know how the new gun is.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My choice was simple, while growing up we always went to war surplus stores, back in the 60's one could get a 1911 for under $100. I needed a pistol to carry 1911 was flat and easy to carry the caliber was what the military carried and I liked the feel in my hand.
    Decision was easy, still carry the same.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    My choice was simple, while growing up we always went to war surplus stores, back in the 60's one could get a 1911 for under $100. I needed a pistol to carry 1911 was flat and easy to carry the caliber was what the military carried and I liked the feel in my hand.
    Decision was easy, still carry the same.
    Wow a 1911 for $100!

I wish one could be had anywhere near that price today! I have a serious want for a 1911. My dad has a sweet Colt Gov't Model that I shoot occasionally...

OldCityBass...

Hey, I'm excited for you. I have the 9000S in 9mm, also. I used to carry it all the time...never had a problem with it...it was right on 'out of the box'. I had night sights put on mine.

At the present time, I usually carry either my Kimber Ultra or my Glock-36...both .45!

I still carry the Beretta once in a while, and I still really like the gun...it is very dependable. Not many here even mention it...you'll enjoy your choice.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    Greetings

That 9000s is a tidy little gun - I would like to get my hands on one to try one day.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I had a 9000 dao in .40 for a short whle and personaly didnt care for it , trigger was horrable , and i am not exacly a .40 fan . I hope the s works out better for you than the one i had did for me , I sold it at a slight loss just to get rid of it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Biggest recommendation: Go out and shoot each. After that - Which one did you feel most comfortable shooting? Which one did you shoot the best?

I think this will tell you a lot about each.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I had a 9000 dao in .40 for a short whle and personaly didnt care for it , trigger was horrable , and i am not exacly a .40 fan . I hope the s works out better for you than the one i had did for me , I sold it at a slight loss just to get rid of it .
    Yep, I know there was a recall on some of the early .40's.

The trigger on mine is much heavier and longer that the 92FS but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing in a carry gun. Maybe you guys can educate me in that regard.

To be honest with you I would buy one too if it fit my stubby hands and the price was in there that low. Not heard too much if anything bad about them. Price is realy a lot lower than MSRP right now on them. Like the looks. Like the fact that it can be had in 40 cal. Not too excited about tilt barrels but I am just old fashioned and can get over that. Just did not seem to fit my hand really that well in my case. But nothing really does for that matter. Could like one of these myself. Keep us apprised of how this is working out for you. I might be tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Biggest recommendation: Go out and shoot each. After that - Which one did you feel most comfortable shooting? Which one did you shoot the best?

I think this will tell you a lot about each.
    Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity go *shoot* each of them. Of course that would have been ideal. I had to choose by feel in the store. That, coupled with my comfort level with the 92FS, lead me in this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    To be honest with you I would buy one too if it fit my stubby hands and the price was in there that low. Not heard too much if anything bad about them. Price is realy a lot lower than MSRP right now on them. Like the looks. Like the fact that it can be had in 40 cal. Not too excited about tilt barrels but I am just old fashioned and can get over that. Just did not seem to fit my hand really that well in my case. But nothing really does for that matter. Could like one of these myself. Keep us apprised of how this is working out for you. I might be tempted.
    YMMV, IMHO, ETC...

The gun has been pretty damn good so far. I have about 350 rounds through so far and I had 1 FTE within the 1st 100 rounds. The gun was straight out of the box at that time. I have had zero problems with it since I first cleaned and lubed it.

The 9000 has been very accurate for me. I can get almost as tight of groups as I can with the 92FS and I'm totally comfortable that I could hit anything I needed to in self defense scenario.

IMO, the grip is the major point with this gun. It either fits you or it doesn't.

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like a winner for you. My next weapon will be a Stoeger Cougar 8000 in 40 when I find a good price.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links