Any thoughts on the new Remington R51?

Any thoughts on the new Remington R51?

This is a discussion on Any thoughts on the new Remington R51? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know when the Remington R51 will be out for sale as well as the price point? Has anyone handled on of these? If ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Any thoughts on the new Remington R51?

Question Any thoughts on the new Remington R51?

Does anyone know when the Remington R51 will be out for sale as well as the price point? Has anyone handled on of these? If so, thoughts?

Impressive Video:
    http://therock.remington.com/firearm...p#.Uvqp1iDTnIU
    gatorbait51 likes this.

My thoughts are, I'm going to wait and see how it's received by those to own them first. Often, a new model will have bugs, and there'll be a V2 released down the road sometime that remedies them. If a V2 comes out in a year or two, I'll likely make space for one in my safe.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
    My thoughts are, I'm going to wait and see how it's received by those to own them first. Often, a new model will have bugs, and there'll be a V2 released down the road sometime that remedies them. If a V2 comes out in a year or two, I'll likely make space for one in my safe.
    That's what I'm thinking... I did find answers to my origional 2 questions. They became available 2/1/14 and cost around $389... Not bad!
    DanielC and gatorbait51 like this.

My FFL has me in the queue. I want one. If they're does turn out to be a version 2 it will make my version 1 all the more collectible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I ran across this Gun Review article that was somewhat less than stellar. I still question the decision not to have a manual safety on a gun with a 1911 type trigger.

"Pull the trigger on a live round and the first issue rears its ugly head: the Remington R51 is painful to shoot, even with light loads. Granted this is a common complaint for wafer-thin compact 9mm handguns, but I was expecting the smoother stylings of the R51 and the lighter recoil of the Pedersen action to eliminate some of that discomfort."

Gun Review: Remington R51 | The Truth About Guns
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 19SDS86 View Post
    ...I did find answers to my origional 2 questions. They became available 2/1/14 and cost around $389... Not bad!
    Did they actually release them on the 1st, or was that just their latest estimated release date?

I have yet to see one for sale anywhere. One place is taking "pre-orders" at $499. Heck, someone can "pre-order" one from me, at that price! (+S&H, transfer fees, etc.)
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Did they actually release them on the 1st, or was that just their latest estimated release date?

I have yet to see one for sale anywhere. One place is taking "pre-orders" at $499. Heck, someone can "pre-order" one from me, at that price! (+S&H, transfer fees, etc.)
    Not sure if it was actually released... I just found that date on a google search. Ouch! I'm not willing to risk $499 to test it out. I think I'll wait :)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Yeah, I wonder for $389 bucks just what are we getting?

The design is most likely sound, but for that low of a price will remington use materials worthy of the engineering? What will there quality control standards be?

This will be a wait & see for me.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Yeah, I wonder for $389 bucks just what are we getting?

The design is most likely sound, but for that low of a price will remington use materials worthy of the engineering? What will there quality control standards be?

This will be a wait & see for me.

Frankly i think that's the wave of the future. An everyman gun that you can get cheaply. I would think that having well made inexpensive products, would draw a lot of new shooters especially among young people just starting out in life with not much excess funds.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    the recessing of the magazine baseplate is a carry mod too far. The magazine’s baseplate sits flush with the surrounding metal, making it nice and smooth. But when you try and insert the magazine into the gun with the palm of your hand – like a normal reload – you have to physically press the magazine into the gun until the magazine catch clicks. Otherwise the gun won’t run.
    ibid.

That also happens on my SIG Ultra. Which is why I went with WC mags - their pads allow the mag to be slapped in. I suspect that a lot of OEM mags with flush base plates do the same thing. Nick probably never noticed it before because he owns a WC Commander so it came with WC mags and he is a USPSA competition shooter.

What turns me off is the slide stop spring. I just don't like that design. SIG P238/P938 and Colt Mustangs have the same type of design.

While watching the video I question his hand hold. I don't know if I would have my weak hand thumb free floating. But he may be doing it because of the blisters on his strong hand web. He owns a 1911, so he obviously knows what a 1911 shoots like and what the 1911 reset feels like... hmmm... I wonder what he would have thought of the P938?

So a new shooter could buy an R51 and shoot it without any problem (save a bit of palm pain). At some point, he or she will break down the R51 to clean it. They reassemble the gun incorrectly and holster it without realizing their mistake. In a self-defense scenario they now have less rounds available than they thought and a gun that stops working “for no reason.” Not good.
    Now, that's a scary thought!

One should read all the comments. !.

Remington R51 Comparison | The Truth About Guns

Counterpoint:

Pay attention to mag insertion.

After reading it I start to question my desire to procure the R51. But I question all my purchases. For example, G19, P238, P938, LCP, PM9, Nano, S&W9, SD9VE, PPS, CZ 75B, Kimber Solo, et. al. - nope, not for me. I can go into any gun store or show and know why I don't like 99.99% of them. If there's 1000 guns available I will probably like, as in consider buying, 1 or 2. The PPQ is close, but there are things about it that I don't like. Now, put a Colt XSE or Defender in my hand and I immediately fall in love. I know what parts I can change to make it better. I'll just have to handle and closely inspect the R51 at the next show in a few weeks. And at a store. And the show after that.

I'll wait until Colion Noir and Hickok45 do their reviews.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    After some of the recent issues I've had with newer Remington 700's, I'll wait this one out and see what happens. if it proves reliable they probably have a winner.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Will have to wait to see, they look interesting for sure and the price is right. With several same size products already in the market place it will be interesting to see how they turn out.
    Tundra5.7 likes this.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I ran across this Gun Review article that was somewhat less than stellar. I still question the decision not to have a manual safety on a gun with a 1911 type trigger.

"Pull the trigger on a live round and the first issue rears its ugly head: the Remington R51 is painful to shoot, even with light loads. Granted this is a common complaint for wafer-thin compact 9mm handguns, but I was expecting the smoother stylings of the R51 and the lighter recoil of the Pedersen action to eliminate some of that discomfort."

Gun Review: Remington R51 | The Truth About Guns
    He seems all kind of mad that he didn't get an invite from Remington. Seems like he's having a tantrum to me.
    Rotorflyr likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    The tester does like smaller lighter handguns to begin with !! he thinks the R51 fits that group. Worthless test. He had no slide bit as he said he did , no cuts. Only got beat on by 500 rounds of ammo and can't help but get some red skin. Worthless review by TTAG .

Go look at there rated firearms , strat with the no star to 3 star rated firearms. Bet most of you guys have some in that group that your fine with.

New Member Array MACCOUNTRYPILOT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 19SDS86 View Post
    Does anyone know when the Remington R51 will be out for sale as well as the price point? Has anyone handled on of these? If so, thoughts?

Impressive Video:
    Model R51 | The Rock

LISTED BELOW IS THE CONTENTS OF AN EMAIL I JUST GOT FROM REMINGTON CONCERNING THE R51

We expect first production units to ship to distributors in mid to late February. Retailers should have product by late February.

Here are some highlights:
    -Introduction at 2014 SHOT
    -Action is based on original Model 51s Pederson Block action but the gun has been modernized.
    -9mm +P
    -Comes w/2 mags (7 shot)
    -Accessory grips will be available
    -Single action Trigger With Grip Safety
    -MSRP $420.00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links