Astra .44 Mag revolver?? Thoughts..

This is a discussion on Astra .44 Mag revolver?? Thoughts.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; considering trading for an Astra .44 mag 6 inch, I cant much about these guns, other than that it is essentially a S&W Mod 29 ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Buckeye63
  • 1 Post By jyo
  • 1 Post By Buckeye63
  • 1 Post By Kilowatt3

Thread: Astra .44 Mag revolver?? Thoughts..

considering trading for an Astra .44 mag 6 inch, I cant much about these guns, other than that it is essentially a S&W Mod 29 clone. Its in used but very good condition, Some holster wear at the muzzle, wear in front of the cylinder from firing, wear line on the cylinder, the usual from a working gun, but it is rust free and the grips arent abused looking. I want it as a Deer gun more than anything. Thoughts or experiences are appreciated. Seller is asking $450, but is considering my trade offer.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

What are you looking to trade for it? I think $450 is a bit on the high side. I don't have any experience with their revolver's but I do own a .380 constable 2. It is in like new condition and the workmanship isn't bad for a $300 gun.

This is a Pic of the Astra Terminator...made famous in the Movie "Dusk to Dawn" ..I once had a SS Terminator ...but lost in in a lake when the canoe capsized..

This is built on a "N" frame but sported (M/L) grip frame...handy dandy 6 shot revolver..they sell at top dollar...but the revolver you are looking at isn't the same...

When I couldn't replace the Astra Terminator I purchased a Rossi 5 shot snubbie ..great gun built on a Med frame

CLASS3NH likes this.

JMO, but while Astra is a reasonably good name, and I wouldn't hesitate to own the .44, the price looks way high for a used one. I believe you could find a Rossi or Taurus at around the same price, brand new, and it would be a comparable gun.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Astra's are decent guns. I don't think $450 is out of the park.. maybe offer $400.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

jyo
    All Astra guns have been out of production for at least a decade, maybe two = NO PARTS! They were OK back in the day, but just OK, not great---I would look for something else...
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    considering trading for an Astra .44 mag 6 inch, I cant much about these guns, other than that it is essentially a S&W Mod 29 clone. Its in used but very good condition, Some holster wear at the muzzle, wear in front of the cylinder from firing, wear line on the cylinder, the usual from a working gun, but it is rust free and the grips arent abused looking. I want it as a Deer gun more than anything. Thoughts or experiences are appreciated. Seller is asking $450, but is considering my trade offer.

I've had a 6" SS (I think its called INOX) for several years and have shot it a bunch; I think it is at least as good as the old 29s, it also has an adjustable trigger and is smooth as butter; I only paid $300 for it.

Thanks for all the replies. I went and looked at the gun and was not impressed. Muzzle wear was pretty heavy, and it had a heavy scribe line on the cylinder. The gun was in decent shape and the timing seemed pretty spot on but in no way was it a 450 dollar gun. For some reason the front sight had been filed almost flat to the barrel, I assume because they had mounted an optic on it and could see the front sight ? No matter the reason It was a hack job and showed it. I offered what I felt was a fair price and it was refused so it is back to searching i guess.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    I want it as a Deer gun more than anything.
    You might want to also look at the Ruger Deerstalker .44 Carbine that shot .44MAG. About $325 - $350 used and at gun shows. Looks like the Ruger .22 Carbine. The Ruger Deerfield .44 Carbine used a rotary mag instead of the tube mag of the previous version. Looks more like a M14. I had the shotgun loading tube type. Nice heavy bush Deer carbine.

Deer Gun... Marlin 30-30 a Texan18.5 inch barrel , like this if you find one... Genuine Wild West Trigger and Skinner Sights

Eric357 likes this.

astra

These astra 44 mag are the finest revolver that I have ever owned they are pinned and recessed. Smith don't do that anymore. I have 2 stainless 6" barrel.
    They are super acurate. I deer hunt and bear hunt. If you do not buy this gun I will.
    bonner

What are you trading. I will sell you one of my stainless models for $500.00 plus shipping $40.00

Some guy suggested you get a rossi. There is no comparision rossi to the astra 44. The rossi has 5 shots and is not pinned and recessed. The astra is built like a tank.
    enough said.

OP last posted here 9 months ago.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Taurahe likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Sponsored Links