lefty needs help

lefty needs help

This is a discussion on lefty needs help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok i need some help. im a left handed shooter and just recently got into and started shooting pistols. i am looking for some suggestions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lefty needs help

lefty needs help

ok i need some help. im a left handed shooter and just recently got into and started shooting pistols. i am looking for some suggestions for a ccw in .40 or .45, and around $400-$500. i thought i had it figured out with the xd but im not to sure now. so give me your opinions. i hope im not bothering any of you with my question because it seems i am when i ask the local shops the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by carbon View Post
    i thought i had it figured out with the xd but im not too sure now
    I'm not a lefty but I do have a question: what did you like about the XD and what makes you not too sure about it now? That might be a good starting point towards other options/choices.

Lead Moderator
    LH shooter here. I found the XD slide release too far back to operate easily. I use a HK USP w/ LH safety. Or a 1911 (ambi safety). I found using my trigger finger to drop the slide and middle finger to drop mags works just fine. Maybe easier than thumb operation being RH'ed.
    Most any semi should work if you use this technique, though I have found the sig decocker to get in the way. Glocks, ect all seem to work fine for me operation wise. Find what fits you hand, feels good and go for it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    I'm not a lefty but I do have a question: what did you like about the XD and what makes you not too sure about it now? That might be a good starting point towards other options/choices.
    i really like the way the xd feels in my hands and when i shot it i felt like i had total control over it. the only thing that pushes me away from it is size. i dont know how well/easy it will be to conceal

Kimber Ultra Is MY EDC...

but sometimes I will take my Glock-36 instead...I think the G-36 might work for you...as you have a safety on each hand (finger)...and, the price is about right...'45... easy to clean... thinner grip... easy to conceal... works for either hand (no ambi stuff needed)...

Also, if your gun shop treats you like it's a pain to answer your questions...find a friendlier shop...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Think Beretta, Taurus (what I carry) or CZ....

Josh <><

the XD glock Hk usp and 1911 are about as lefty friendly as you can get im a lefty and tried for a long time to find what was best for me

also the hk2000 i think it is has a ambi slide release I have carried all the above except the Hk 2000 and keep going back to a 1911 with the ambi safety and the mag release so i can easily release the mag with middle finger and i can very easy hit the slide release with trigger finger

for me it fits my hands the best

I could never get the little tiny slide release's on the glock and xd to work for me or the mag release to work easily on the glock

on the Hk it was the mag release and slide release again i didnt like as well

best thing to do is try renting the guns you think you might like

Take a look at the FNH's FNP series, available in 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP. FNH has since released a compact model, as well.

My young bride, also a lefty, has an FNP-9, the full-size model in 9mm. She likes it a lot and shoots it very well.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Glocks fit most lefties well...

I'm a left handed shooter and just recently got into and started shooting pistols. I am looking for some suggestions for a ccw in .40 or .45, and around $400-$500.
    Were it not for your price range I would have suggested the new H&K P2000 SK pistol, which has ambidextrous slide stop and magazine release to accomodate both left and right handed shooters equally. This is a 21 ounce gun in 9mm and .40 caliber that is easily concealed and very reliable. But it probably costs in the $700 range new:

H&K P2000 SK

But in the $400 to $500 price range it is hard to beat the reliable and tough Glock 23, a 24 ounce gun that conceals easily but offers lots of firepower and minimal controls that most left handers can easily reach. These usually sell new in the $500 range.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I'm a lefty also. I have an XD45 Tactical and 2 1911's both with the ambi safety. I carry the XD most of the time now while waiting on a new holster for the 1911's to arrive. I have no problem carrying it concealed under my shirt. I use a Desantis belt slide for the XD.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    South Paw checking in.

I think the new S&P comes with a slide lock on both sides.

I carry a 228 or a G19. I don' t use the slide lock there is alot of manufactures out there that call it differen't names but I believe it to be a stop or a lock. I like to focus on big muscle groups rather than small motor skills. 1. You may not have the use of small motor skills if your in a fight. Using that as a release only seems to form bad habits, like rubbing 2 pieces of metal together, if anything bad happens your muscle memory might tell you to go right for that stop and thats not where you need to be going. The magazine release on the Glocks seems to be built more for a lefty than a right. With a good handshake style grip on the gun righties unless you have thumbs that are huge won't be able to touch the mag release unless you shift yoru grip. For us South Paws with the same grip it seem to be easy to shift your finger and hit it.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Also look at the new S&W M&P-slide stop/release on both sides if you want to use it, and the magazine release is switchable if you want to do that.
    What Would Gumby Do?

i would take a look at the glock 36. should work well for you.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Thumbs up If you like it,get it!

i really like the way the xd feels in my hands and when i shot it i felt like i had total control over it. the only thing that pushes me away from it is size. i dont know how well/easy it will be to conceal
    Sounds like you are comfortable and confident shooting the XD.I think you should go for it.All you will need then is a GOOD holster that holds it secure and close to your body.It shouldn't be hard to conceal.Good luck with your choices.

thanks for all your help guys going shopping today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links