Well, add me to the S&W M&P owners - more shots fired - now I'm impressed!!!

This is a discussion on Well, add me to the S&W M&P owners - more shots fired - now I'm impressed!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a little tradin' and bought a S&W M&P 9mm, and a third factory mag for it. Mine has the mag disconnect - a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, add me to the S&W M&P owners - more shots fired - now I'm impressed!!!

Senior Moderator

Well, add me to the S&W M&P owners - more shots fired - now I'm impressed!!!

I did a little tradin' and bought a S&W M&P 9mm, and a third factory mag for it. Mine has the mag disconnect - a feature I prefer, but no external lock. I got it today and won't have a chance to shoot it until tomorrow. So far I like everything about it.

For those interested in trigger pulls, my M&P seems to have a bit more draggy, scrapey feeling than some others I have seen, but it's not enough to be a problem I don't think. I'll know tomorrow about that. The trigger breaks at 6 pounds on my RCBS trigger pull scale and I'm expecting the the trigger to both lighten and smooth out just a bit with use. It feels somewhat like a Glock trigger pull, but it doesn't have the nice "hard click" reset like a Glock. Trigger reach on the M&P is 1.58" and for comparison, 1.65" on an XD.

Speaking of XDs, the M&P is almost identical in size to an XD, but is about 1/4" longer, and that length is barrel length. Mine came with the medium grip insert (I presume they all come from the factory this way) and it feels great to me - a very comfortable gun in the hand.

I wanted to try the smaller grip insert but I've yet to find the secret to removing the "tool" in the grip that releases the insert. And that's the question - How do you get that thing out??? I've already tried rotating it in either direction and I simply don't have enough strength in my finger to rotate it. I even put it in a "soft-jaw" vice and tried to rotate it as much as I dared, and it didn't rotate at all!

It comes with two 17 round!! metal!! mags. I realize with that many rounds in the gun, it is absolutely mandatory to spray and pray instead of shooting accurately as one would with only five rounds in the gun, but I do have the option of only loading 5 or 6 in the mag so I will become magically more accurate and hit exactly what I want to with every round.

Until I can get a custom holster, I'm carrying it in an Uncle Mikes Mirage size 15 holster sans the thumb snap. It fits like it was made for it, very fast draw, but w/o the thumb snap retention, I'm sure the gun would fall out if the holster got turned upside down. Soooo, I guess I'd better stay upright hadn't I? I'll likely order a pancake holster from Eric Larsen. Hmmm, I didn't post the sharkskin belt and holster he made me for my Sig 226R DAK. I need to do that.

More tomorrow...

More tomorrow...

Oops...more right now, then more tomorrow....
    I meant to mention that I read somewhere that Ernst Langdon has already won some IDPA thingy with an M&P.

2. Remove Ads

Tangle....had the same problem with mine on changing the grip inserts. You just twist the tool to the left or right, and then pull out. It is very, very tight from the factory, but it will loosen after a few times. I tried, and tried, and eventually, it twisted. I thought I was going to break it the first time (the "T" head flexed a bit), but it came out fine.

I don't know how you feel about Hogue Grips, but the small insert with Hogue Handall grips feels great on my M&P (and is about the same size as the medium insert).
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Oh, and I've found that it fits pretty good in the Fobus H&K USP full size paddle holster. Not much for concealment, but it is comfortable for carrying around the house. Good retention, with a fast draw.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, ok, I'll give'er another twist - like you said, it does seem like it's gonna break before it rotates, but here goes.......wow that thing is tight.......hey, it rotated, but only about 45.....one more try.....ahhh, there it goes. Whew, that thing is a bear.

I installed the small insert - I like it - kinda surprised since I don't have small hands. I'll see how it feels tomorrow when I shoot it. Thanks for the encouragement.

Tangle. Enjoy one of the finest handguns out there. Stainless steel with a melonite treatment. Real metal sights. Did you send away for your FREE S&W range bag yet?

Go get yourself a Comp-Tac holster now. I have a CTAC from CompTac and it is awesome. I have 600 rounds through it so far and not one jam or problem. Let me know if you have any questions. Exodus also knows a ton about this gun and is awesome to talk to about the M&P, as you have already discovered.

Good luck and congrats on choosing what I think is the best gun out there for the money.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Lots of reading here.
    http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php
    I really like my M&P after I had the trigger slicked up. Most everyone says that they find the trigger a bit rough (I did) but there are fixes from self help to professional grade if you don't like it after a couple of hundred rounds.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I don't own one yet, but I just registered over there. Lot's of good info!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the tips guys!

Free range bag? I didn't see anything in the gun box about that, how does one get a free range bag?

You go to the S&W site it was listed there with a downloadable form.

Congrats on the M&P. I may have to get one!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

very nice review, I have had my eye on the M&P 9mm for awhile now, just waiting for some extra cash.

-------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

PJH
    Just bought an M&P 9c for my wife. We both really like the little thing. After a couple hundred more rounds, I may just have to carry it for a day or two, " just to test it out"

-Paul

Senior Moderator

S&W M&P 9mm shots fired!!!

I did get to shoot my M&P today – 120 rounds. This is a fairly light gun; recoil is crisp but very controllable.

The trigger has a bit of a ‘hitch’ in it. It’s almost like a two-stage trigger. After taking up the slack, there is a short but distinct drag. Then the trigger gets heavier and breaks with very little additional movement. It does not feel mushy to me as some have reported. The two ‘stages’ are distinct enough that one could be tempted to stage the trigger, i.e. pull the trigger to the break point and then break the shot from that point rather than continuously pull through the shot. This sort of staging the trigger is discouraged in the instruction manual.

I shot 50 rounds of Blazer AL case, 50 rounds of NATO ammo, 10 rounds of Speer GD 124 gn JHP, and 10 rounds of Remington Golden Sabre. I had no malfunctions. The slide always locked back on the last round and not before. I have a tendency to contact the slide lock on Glocks and cause a premature slide lock; did not have that problem with the M&P. The gun came back on target quickly; I think that’s due to the fact it sits so low in the hand.

I pretty much ate the 10 ring out firing at about 1.5 seconds per shot at 18 feet. I wasn’t having a great day and I could tell I wasn’t quite up to par so I really can’t speak too much about the M&Ps accuracy yet, but from what I saw, it seems to be as accurate as any other service type handgun I’ve shot.

It was pretty much what I expected. The trigger is just what it is, it’s very manageable even though it feels stagey. The mag release is easy to use and I could reach it without changing my grip on the gun. I shot it with the smallest grip insert and that is probably part of the reason I could reach the release so readily and I’ll probably leave it that way.

I'm liking the mag safety more and more.

I guess that’s about it; I'm looking forward to shooting another hundred rounds through it tomorrow. I think I'm probably still adjusting to it. I'm really curious to see how I do with it the second time out.

OK, one negative: the chamber loaded 'indicator' is visual only, i.e. you can't check it by feel. I have found that the later Glocks with chamber indicators on the extractor are very reliable, convenient, and unmistakable in indication visually or by feel. I find the same to be true on Beretta 92 FSs. But, the M&P's visual indicator is barely visible in good light. Don't like that at all.

Until tomorrow...

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I was thinking of the G17 as my first polymer, but the more I see about the SW MP, the more I like it, fondled them enoguh to know they fit my hand nicely and hope to get to shoot one at the next indoor range practice. Hmm wonder if I convince my wife I need it by spring?

I didn't know about the range bag either. I'll have to go hunting now. (Edit -> bought mine too early to qualify...oh well)

Glad you got it out Tangle. It can be a bear the first few times, but it'll ease out eventually.

I agree on the chamber indicator. I got spoiled by my XD. I've gotten in the habit of press checking my M&P. The Golden Saber is easier to see in low light that way.
    Last edited by Exodus; December 30th, 2006 at 01:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links