Which pistol for concealed carry

This is a discussion on Which pistol for concealed carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a KelTec P-11 for concealed carrry. I would like something a little bigger that I could also use for IDPA. I prefer the ...

Thread: Which pistol for concealed carry

Which pistol for concealed carry

I have a KelTec P-11 for concealed carrry. I would like something a little bigger that I could also use for IDPA. I prefer the polymer pistols because of the weight factor. I am looking at the usual choices. XD9, M&P, Glock 19, Taurus 24/7, PX4 Storm and even this new Stoeger Cougar. However, the Stoeger only has a limited 1 year warranty while the Taurus has a liberal lifetime warranty. Does anyone of these "4 inch barrel 9mm pistols" really stand out above the others? Thanks Stuart

2. Remove Ads

I'm partial to the XD service (4" ) preferably in 40 S&W cause then you can get a conversion barrel for 9MM , and recently have had the oportunity to shoot 3 different M&P's 2 in 9MM and 1 in 40 and I liked them alot, enough to consider a purchase in the near future. I also have a Glock 17 from the 80's that I shoot well but just never warmed up to the grip angle on it but it still shoots well. As everyone will suggest one thing or the other try to rent some or find someone in your area that shoots one and see if they want to go to the range, I have done that here at my local range and tried some different pistols before deciding to buy or not. GOOD LUCK
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Senior Moderator
    Hey, there're all good choices. There's also the H&K P2000 LEM, a fine pistol.

Springfield has that same life time warraty as well. The XD line is are nice ploy gun's as is a Glock if it fit's your hand. They fit mine fine but I am a 1911 guy and carry the light weight alloy framed 3", 4" and 4.25" 1911's because they just work for me.

I would also recommend looking at the H&K P2000, that is a sweet piece and stands above the rest listed in quality.

Those are all good choices in their own respect. You just have to weigh out the differences as to what your need's and want's are and what is most improtant and what you can best use and shoot, quickly change out mag's and get back on target and that's your gun.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Glock 19. There is a reason Glock rules the IDPA. Oh Springfield XD's are put into the same catagory as 1911's for scoring and from my experience you'll face tougher compitition in that class than any other class (well maybe cept for revolver only us old coots shoot wheelguns). My one other statement is this, name the firearm that has off the shelf fired over 3/4 a MILLION rounds through it without an oops? Its not a Sig, or H&K or XD. Its a Glock. Dont believe me, ask Chuck Taylor.

Just my opinion.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

M&P. Lifetime warranty. Stainless. Melonite finish. 17+1 9mm cap. Real metal Novak sights. Truly ambidextrous. It is what a Glock should have evolved into and what an XD wanted to be.

Good luck.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

whw
    I've had great luck with the Glock and Springfield. I haven't had any experience with the others.

The Glock 17 is just about as reliable as you can get, and the spare parts are available from a number of reliable sources. The XD parts aren't as easily accesible.

Good Luck!

whw

i would go with the glock.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Smith and Wesson Scandium pistols are great .45's and light as well.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I have a KelTec P-11 for concealed carrry. I would like something a little bigger that I could also use for IDPA. I prefer the polymer pistols because of the weight factor. I am looking at the usual choices. XD9, M&P, Glock 19, Taurus 24/7, PX4 Storm and even this new Stoeger Cougar. However, the Stoeger only has a limited 1 year warranty while the Taurus has a liberal lifetime warranty. Does anyone of these "4 inch barrel 9mm pistols" really stand out above the others? Thanks Stuart
    Since you have a P11, you can do what I did and get a Smith 69xx or 59xx so you can carry both guns and the mags will work in both guns. Going this route is easy and effective way to gain benefit of same mags but a larger gun.

Here is my Smith 6946 (DAO) primary and P11 secondary carry guns and sometimes I carry both in addition to my bug. Both guns are DAO so the same system to use. The 69xx series guns only way 24 to 26 ozs so about the same as most full size poly guns (I know because I have some). I also use my 6946 as an IDPA gun with my real carry holster for real training.

Hope this helps!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

You'll get plenty of advice based on personal preference. I want to make this point-the Glock has the longest track record and is easy to work on and maintain (most would say). The XD apparently has a following. I hear it is harder to work on by I have no idea if that even matters to you. The XD's bore axis feels highest of the three. The MP appears to be taking off like a house afire-aftermarket sights and holsters are showing up quickly. This is, as they say, "a clue." I prefer the M&P, but you might do best by handling, shooting, or at least dry-firing all three before deciding. Each has a different trigger action/re-set, and grip and I think these are the most important points behind reliability. I think each individual is the best judge of what is best for him on these matters. The last three you mention? I think they will be MUCH harder to find holsters for and are much less popular. There may be reasons, and I don't think it's price.
    Last edited by sheepdog; December 28th, 2006 at 10:50 AM. Reason: clarify
    What Would Gumby Do?

Although I Like 1911's...

I do have one Glock-36...and...from your picks, I'd go Glock...smooth gun...easy to take down...good reputation...

But it's really a matter of what YOU feel comfortable with...not us!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links