Glocks: Love 'em or Hate 'em

This is a discussion on Glocks: Love 'em or Hate 'em within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by lowflyer Cool. That is the answer to exactly what I was trying to ask. I think everyone would have understood had they ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glocks: Love 'em or Hate 'em

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    Cool. That is the answer to exactly what I was trying to ask. I think everyone would have understood had they seen my hand gestures and subtle facial expressions.

So, what is this "Glock" you speak of? Does Kimber make one?

NOW I understand! OK, I get it.

I can see how that would be more comfortable against your body. This is something I will look into also before I make my purchase.

If Kimber did make a Glock, I'll bet it would have a much improved grip angle!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    So, what is this "Glock" you speak of? Does Kimber make one?
    Kimber is not yet qualified to build such a simple yet elegant piece of machinery.

I like some Kimber's 1911s, I just don't like their pricing. Glocks on the other hand are affordable, built to last, dependable right out of the box, and they don't require any external devices to make them safe. Just don't lube the firing pin channel. I purchased a G20 from a pawn shop that would FTFire. I took out the firing pin and cleaned out the channel... some $$##@@ lubed it and collected all types of crud in it. Works great now. Not a single hiccup since, just like all of my other Glocks.

PT111- I think that your infidel has the same bit of kydex between the gun and skin. At the Comp-tac website, they show a picture of it which seems to have that piece, too. Call them and confirm.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I'll probably own a G30 before too long. I need something disposable to carry when I'm fishing.

Okay, I am really kidding. I love Glocks too.

Back to the topic; if anybody owns one of these holsters, I would sure like to see a 360-degree view of it. They certainly look the business.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    If Kimber did make a Glock, I'll bet it would have a much improved grip angle!
    Springfield makes one - It's Called An XD!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Springfield makes one - It's Called An XD!
    So many people laughed and guffawed when the polymer framed Glock hit the market, now so many manufactures make a wannabe Glock.

There is only one Glock ... and their slow US customer service office is in GA.

Quote Originally Posted by newmexiglock View Post
    So many people laughed and guffawed when the polymer framed Glock hit the market, now so many manufactures make a wannabe Glock.

Tell me about it. I LOVE my Glocks, but I've never gotten the same answer twice to a given question from the good folks at Smyrna. Sometimes I get someone on the phone who is really sharp and gives me exactly the info I'm looking for. Other times, I would swear that I'm talking to some office temp who's never even fired a gun in their entire life.

If I could not get factory parts from non-Glock sources, I'd be carrying an XD or a 1911. Fortunately, there are bunches of sources out there...

I sent my G21 back for a standard upgrade last year- remill the ejection port, refinish the slide, and replace the inside components, then I had them add night sights. I only had to pay for shipping to them and the sights . They did a great job, but it took 8 weeks to get it back. I also heard 3 different stories regarding what my upgrade was going to include...

Quote Originally Posted by newmexiglock View Post

That may be true....there is only one Glock. But there are several companies that make a far superior product. They are: Springfield, S&W, Walther, and Sig.
    All make Polymer framed guns that not only do not explode on nearly as regular a basis but the grip angles are vastly improved. (which is to say they are either identical to or very close to the good old 1911).

Sorry Glock-o-philes....you either love 'em or hate 'em and I do not love 'em.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

That may be true....there is only one Glock. But there are several companies that make a far superior product. They are: Springfield, S&W, Walther, and Sig.
    All make Polymer framed guns that not only do not explode on nearly as regular a basis but the grip angles are vastly improved. (which is to say they are either identical to or very close to the good old 1911).

Hmmm, my 1st 2 Glocks were made in the early 90's and they don't explode regularly, just every once in a while, although they have done it twice on a recent Sunday. My lastest 2 (both 10mm) now they are a troublesome pair... I can't take them anywhere without some sort explosion. Heck, it has gotten to the point where I carry an extra frame and trigger assembly when I carry either of them.

I can't speak for the other manufacturers, but it doesn't seem that you can speak for the Glock either. I'm pretty sure that the other guys do a "bang up" job on their pistols. The Glock is always reliable out of the box. Most of the other guys couldn't say that when Glock came out. Maybe they can now, but I've seen brand new 1911's that FTF or stove pipe right out of the box, not so with a Glock.

You are wrong in regards to loving them or hating them... you either enjoy 'em or don't understand 'em.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    My buddy's Glock blew up in my face twice. Now I'm blind in one eye and I can't see out of the other.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

That is apparantly your opinion, and you certainly have a right to it. (After all, this is still America! )

However, I would respectfully disagree with most of that statement. IMHO, none of the guns you listed are even in the same league with a Glock - with the possible exception of the XD's. I have an extremely low opinion of S&W autopistols (which goes for the Walthers, too since Smith bought 'em out), and I was equally unimpressed with the polymer framed Sig that I owned for a week. However, that's why there are so many choices out there - what works for one guy may not do so well for the next.

I do agree with you that XD's are great pistols, however.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Can't we all get along? There must be some good in all the guns you guys talked about, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them. Although, I can't figure out how S&W makes money on their autos. Their revolvers, yes, but their autos gotta go...

With so many PD's supplying Glocks for their Officers, I can't imagine there's been that many Glocks "blowing up." I've "heard" of it, but I've never seen it or known personally someone whose witnessed it either. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's probably been an isolated case.

With all that said, I sure would like to hear from someone how the Infidel fares, because I'm interested in one too. It's for my Kahr PM9-the better Glock...
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Hey guys, I didn't set out to start a big Glock against everyone else kind of thread here.

Let me just qualify my remarks on the Glock.:
    I worked in a Gun Shop in Goosecreek SC from 1992 to 1994. I was in the Navy and woked there part time but my main duty was to run the indoor range from 6pm until closing time at 10pm.
    I bought a brand new Gock 17 from the gun shop and was very excited when it came in. This was without doubt, the worst gun I have ever owned. I obviously got one of the few Glock lemons that have ever made it out to the public.
    My gun would jam every 3rd or 4th round. I tried different magazines, no change. The mags sometimes dropped out of the gun without the mag release being pushed. The front sight flew off after 65 rounds.
    I sent it to Glock and it took them quite a while to get the gun back to me. When it did come back, the problems were lessened but still there.
    I sold the gun to my cousin who knew about the problems and want to try to fix them. He is still dabbles in gunsmithing. He never was able to get the gun working correctly. He still owns it as he is unwilling to sell it to someone when it is so unreliable.

So yes, that experience did put me off of Glocks pretty much for good.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Glock and lemon don't usually see that in the same sentence, I do know that Glock would of made it right real fast if you would of called them. I was a big Glock hater for years or any other plastic pistol for that matter but I decided to consider one after talking several Leo's and doing much research and could not be happier. I have just had my G19 about 2 weeks but prefer it over my other handguns. Since Glock has only been making guns since the early 80's but is by far the most used brand by law enforcement by far, Glock reports sales of over 2.5 million handguns in over 100 countries, all FBI agents graduating the academy are issued a Glock, Glocks are used by more special forces branches around the world than any other firearm brand thats a lot of guns if they made lemons I don't think they would be doing so well. I would give them another chance you might be impressed like I have been.

Sources Cited - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLOCK
    Last edited by tango3065; December 28th, 2006 at 10:46 PM.

I don'thate glocks, but the XD's are much better FOR ME because the glock grip is uncomfortable to me while the XD's are pretty close to perfect, next to a 1911 that is.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links