Walther CCP vs. R51

This is a discussion on Walther CCP vs. R51 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Walther goes back to their beautiful lines heritage. I find it a great meld of their older lines with modern defensive pistols (PPX, PPQ). Operation ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Walther CCP vs. R51

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar

Walther CCP vs. R51

Walther goes back to their beautiful lines heritage. I find it a great meld of their older lines with modern defensive pistols (PPX, PPQ). Operation and market niche parallel the Remington. Wouldn't it be nice to test fire both side by side?

WALTHER CCP: New Compact Pistol for US Customers & More

Gun Review: Remington R51 | The Truth About Guns
    Last edited by Nmuskier; March 9th, 2014 at 10:02 AM.

2. Remove Ads

I wonder how small that CCP is; if it's P22-sized that would put it on my want list for sure!

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I'm going to have to totally disagree. Yes, it's like PPX and PPQ, but I would never know that ray gun was a Walther from any of its heritage. When I think of Walther I think of quality (both old and new), but to me that is an exceptionally ugly pistol whereas their classic pistols are works of art. Just my opinion.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The ray guns sell, period. I don't fault Walther for giving people what they want in the age of utilitarian pistols, but I'm not seeing heritage there, I'm seeing sales.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Somewhere in the 48 contiguous states of the USA.
    Is that a thumb safety I see?

It's pretty big. Manual safety? No thanks.
    If it were PM9 sized, I'd get one.
    Czombie and JulesWinnfield like this.

It's a the Remington R51; not Ruger.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I didn't catch that until you pointed it out. It looks big to me but maybe that's just how the pics were taken. Be interesting to see it beside a S&W Shield. Here is some more information.

New Gun Alert: The Walther CCP | Mr Colion Noir
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Why does everyone keep putting thumb safeties on their guns!

fer crying out loud, at least offer a version without one
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I think I'll pass.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Yes, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I'm going to have to totally disagree. Yes, it's like PPX and PPQ, but I would never know that ray gun was a Walther from any of its heritage. When I think of Walther I think of quality (both old and new), but to me that is an exceptionally ugly pistol whereas their classic pistols are works of art. Just my opinion.
    You better not be carrying a Glock!

That "beaver bite" from the Remington R51 looks a bit nasty. Have had plenty of bone bruise in the web of the hand from the Kel-Tec P3AT on hotter .380 loads, and from the Kel-Tec PF9 on most any 9mm loads. Never once have I felt, by comparison, the Kahr PM9 or P380 pistols to have any such "bite" on the hand. I'm convinced it's due to the wider/smoother back strap area, without protrusions or edges to speak of. Spreads the load fairly well, at least on my hands.

Strange, that the larger R51 would have such a problem. Of course, it'd depend on the size of the user's hand in comparison to the gun's shape, if nothing else.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

DBS
    Not a fan of safeties, so I'll stick with my excellent PPS.
    JulesWinnfield likes this.

Walther CCP review:

Swing and a miss.

They needed to make the PPQ exactly 5.0" high, the slide 1.0"-1.1" wide, install a short extractor in place of the long extractor that interferes with slide racking, have uncut front slide serrations (where the Walther logo breaks up the serrations) and it would have been perfect. Perfect. A true Glock killer.

Instead the CCP has rails - RAILS!!! (fail!), they got rid of the Glock blade trigger safety, necessitating a stubby hard to find/depress manual safety (same as the S&W Shield failing), they got rid of the excellent slide release and installed a Glock/S&W slide stop (fail!), they got rid of the excellent PPQ round mag release (fail!), they installed a ridge over the mag release which will make it harder to depress and will undoubtedly grate one's thumb (fail!), they kept the same slide front serrations (fail!), the square frame area over the trigger guard area breaks up the rounded lines (fail!),

Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail.

That's seven strikes against it. (Say, versus 3 strikes against the R51 - field stripping, slide release spring problem, hand web bruising.)

It's dead in the water, folks; stillborn, unfortunately. It never had a chance. Ugly as sin and useless for CCW. I'd rather buy a Glock 19 Gen 4.

If the PPQ was supposed to be competition to the Glock 19 and the CCP is supposed to be competition to the G26 or S&W Shield - be assured that the G26 & Shield boys are laughing all the way to the bank. If I had Walther stock I'd sell it.

I won't even bother picking it up to see what it feels like when I'm at a gun show. I can't be bothered. I won't even waste my time looking at it. It's in the same boat as a High Point pistol.

What I want in any gun carry or not :

1. I can fire the gun at least enough to get good with it wihtouth massive pain
    2. I dont need to drink or fix up my hands after field stripping or cleaing it
    3. I can find hoslter and spare mags and maybe night sigths sem easily for it and for not a arm and leg
    4. If it has a saftey it needs to be easy to hit on and off and want go on easy ( the sig 938 is about the only gun I have found that comes close ..)

So all that said I know the the r51 has failed for me till I can fire it and strip it ( pain to fire and hard to take down ) .. The other is a unknown I can overlook some things if the guns is easy to take down or if it is heavy enought trigger to carry no saftey on ( like the bodyguard ) I shall wait and see
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links