Do you own a gun you have never fired?

This is a discussion on Do you own a gun you have never fired? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Other than an antique you may not want to shoot for obvious reasons do you own a gun you have never taken out and shot? ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Do you own a gun you have never fired?

Do you own a gun you have never fired?

Other than an antique you may not want to shoot for obvious reasons do you own a gun you have never taken out and shot?

I know two guys from work that both bought CC guns and neither has ever bothered to take them to the range and check them out. I find that concept hard to fathom.

Every new gun I have bought has been taken out and fired with a week, 2 at the most. Most I shot within a day or two.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMOPE View Post
    Other than an antique you may not want to shoot for obvious reasons do you own a gun you have never taken out and shot?

I know two guys from work that both bought CC guns and neither has ever bothered to take them to the range and check them out. I find that concept hard to fathom.

Every new gun I have bought has been taken out and fired with a week, 2 at the most. Most I shot within a day or two.
    I think that purpose rules the action here. I'm sure plenty of people buy a firearm simply to own it; maybe it was a good deal, maybe it's just something that they have coveted for some time. Anyway, the point is, under those conditions it's not unreasonable to not shoot it for some time, if ever. Collecting something for the sake of owning it is totally different from purchasing something for the purpose of duty.

So yeah, I agree with you. Buying a gun for the purpose of carry defense, or home defense, or hunting, or any other action where the gun is simply a tool to be used, then it's nuts to not use it. Anyone who buys a CC weapon and then never actually fires it isn't really buying a CC weapon; they're simply spending money on a false sense of security. Not too different from the thread about buying the magical bullets...
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Well, I used to.
    I purchased a cut-down Ishapore 2A (Indian version of the SMLE MkIII in 7.62) with the intention of making it a scout rifle. I think I had it three years before the first round was launched downrange.
    Ishapore2AScout.jpg
    ^ Not mine, but close. Mine has the barrel shortened a bit more and a FAL flash hider attached.

I think I have 4 that I have not fired yet. One is a like new Collectable.
    I also have a Brand New SP101 357 mag 3 Inch (Holster being made as we speak)
    I also have a pair of 3 Inch GP100's, a Willy Clapp GP100, and a 3 Inch Bright Stainless 3 Inch with Adjustable Sights. (Also waiting Leather)

Bob The Revolver Guy
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Big Creek Kydex Speed Loader Carriers
    ICORE MO2908
    NRA Life

North Carolina (The Eagle is from Alaska)
    Just one; a 5" S&W M27 commemorative from the 1980's emblazoned with my former agency's seal.

(Despite a century of mediocre performance ) "With modern ammunition, 9mm is (finally) just as effective as larger calibers" (Yeah, Right!)
    (...and Let me save those same cliché-spewers among us the effort: No, I don't want to be shot with ANY caliber!)

Had a few safe queens but dispersed them to sons now only keep what I carry

DBS
    No.

VIP Member
    I have a couple handguns and rifles i have not fired ......................just for collecting and i most likely will never shoot them . Dan Wesson 44 Mag , Ruger .45 , 22.250 rifle i won on a gun raffle , double barrel shotgun , .25 raven arms and there may be more .Just love buying and keeping them . Also once i buy them i have never sold one yet .
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Nope, If I cannot shoot them I do not want them.
    DingBat likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

I have a couple that my father had. S&W 44 and a couple of shotguns. The weapons still have to be divided between me and my sibilings.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Several.

Every weapon I carry when home has been through the wringer to see if any issues exist with functioning. Now, I do have a couple weapons that have not had a round through them but only because I am in Afghanistan and I'm home for a total of about 5 weeks a year. That is changing soon though and I will rectify that then. I do not own "safe queens". If I own, I shoot it.

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

VIP Member
    Nope. Not yet, at least. If I came across a collectible that has never been fired, then I wouldn't. However, if it has been fired before, then I'm at least putting a few rounds through it before it's set up.

Buying a gun for CC and not firing it is just downright foolish if not deadly...
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I have a lot of guns that I have acquired for collection purposes and they will never be fired (at least, not by me.)

As for those who buy a gun to carry that they've never shot, it happens a lot more than you might think. I imagine it's a safe guess that 50% of the people carrying a gun in America today have never fired it. Some have been carrying it for years. When we had our gun shop, it was common for guys to bring in guns they wanted to sell or trade, that they had bought from us maybe 2-3 years before, and they had carried them daily but never fired them. In many ways, they would be more dangerous in a public situation than the BG with a gun. They are living a very false sense of security.

I bought an M1 Garand from the CMP in the fall that I haven't had a chance to take out yet, I plan to first take it all down and clean well, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Besides that one, I usually try and shoot new guns as soon as I acquire them.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links