Springfield vs. Kimber

Springfield vs. Kimber

This is a discussion on Springfield vs. Kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just out of curiousity, why does this seem like such an avid Kimber forum. In my circles, Springfield owns the premium 1911 market and kimber ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield vs. Kimber

Springfield vs. Kimber

Just out of curiousity, why does this seem like such an avid Kimber forum. In my circles, Springfield owns the premium 1911 market and kimber is frowned upon. I don't have any clue why since I'm not a 1911 guy, so please, no uproars defending your Kimber positions. Im just wondering why it seems that so many kimber owners are here and very few if any SA owners, or at least very quiet ones. I know that one day when I do purchase one, it'll be "loaded". hint hint =)
    Hk P2000, P30, P30L, Hk45C, USP Tac .45, USC, G36c
    Glock 19, 26, 38
    Sig P238, SP2022, P226 Blackwater Tacitcal,556
    Desert Eagle Mark I, Mossberg 500A, Benelli M4
    FN FS2000, Springfield SOCOM II
    Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun

I have plenty of 1911's and only 1 of them is kimber it seems they have a bad rap locally here though that is what most dealers stock

my kimber came out of the custom shop so i wont say its a normal kimber overall for the small time Ive had it its been flawless

i have 3 springers and they all have been flawless

One reason kimber is so popular is they make a heck of a ad campaign and word of month when they first took on colt they were excellent on par with the custom built browns and Wilson course they should have been with Wilson as they were making his frames and slides

Actually they are near the same in quality and part's used. SA does have a nicer line in the TRP and "custom build's" they offer. I am not sure one way or another but my gun shop's are LOADED with Kimbers with little Springfields unless in the XD line.

Two things that Kimbers has going for them, maybe three but it does not make them better just different in there approch.

1) Kimber does has a nicer finished pistol for the most part unless you get into the TRP line up.

2) Kimber's marketing is incredible campared to SA IMO (this is what Kimber get's in trouble with at the same time though)

3) Kimber finds a way (at least in my area) to get there product in the gun shop's.

Regardless, SA actually sell's more gun's in a year than Kimber does or has so to answer the question, I really don't know.

They are both good companies but Kimber a several line's that appeal to people more it seem's, where as SA with the battle proven, tough looking, with some military grade/look milspec's etc.

I think the new age handgunner is choosing Kimber and the older gunners are with the Springfields.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I like both brands. I own a Kimber and have had excellent luck with it for the last eight years and tens of thousands of rounds. I don't own a SA 1911 because I just don't want one right now.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Ti is right kimber are way more available right now

VIP Member
    I own both Kimbers & Springers (as well as others).

Since most people want a custom pistol, their choices prior to Kimber were limited to true custom shops or do-it-your-selfer's.

Kimber is one of the manufacturers who started the 'factory custom' style 1911s. Most people who bought 1911s in the past, took them to a smith or custom shop & had different bells & whistles added. Such things as ambi-safeties, magwells, full length guide rods, night sights, custom barrels, lowered ejection ports....etc.....

Kimber started the custom out of the box trend that now, everybody else is following. Everybody wants a custom 1911.....

Now Springfield Armory is following, with things like their TRP & 'loaded' models. Just look at some of the others who are doing it as well, Smith & Wesson, Sig, Rock Island, Dan Wesson, even Tauras has gotten in on it & they all make 1911s.

Kimber will have a fight on their hands as the others catch up & even surpass them.........bad for Kimber....BUT GOOD FOR US.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I Have Two Kimbers...

Both of mine have worked very well...I certainly would not be against trying something else...but why spend more when what you have works EVERY time?

So many guns...so little time and money.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I don't own a Kimber, mainly because I can't see paying around a grand for something my Springer does efficently. While in all honesty I only about 1,000 rounds through Sandy I have never had an FTE or FTF. The reason I went with the GI was because I don't like the Beaver tail digging into my side. The only thing I would want different is the GI sights aren't that great.

If a Kimber was given to me with some of the issues I've read about I would want to put a couple thousand rounds through it before I carried it and chop down the beavertail. But if I'm going to pay that much I'll just save up for a Wilson or a Les Baer.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Kimber one year warrant; Springfield armor, lifetime; I know what some will say, Kimber will "take care of you". Maybe so, but a written warranty is a written warranty!!!!

I want a 4" barrel officer's frame but SA doesn't currently make one. Hard to understand why and I wrote to them about it but the reply that I got (although very nice) said they didn't know either so I'm hope to acquire a Kimber CDP Pro II 4" compact when I get my bonus in feb.

I think they're very close to one another but if I could find what I wanted in an SA, the lifetime warranty would always tip the scale for me.

God Bless
    Gideon

Lead Moderator
    SA here, but either Kimber or SA would be a fine gun to own. I just happened find the features I wanted from the factory from SA. (ambi safety, ect)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Kimber started getting a bad rap when they went to an outside ejecter. they now have returned to the inside ejector so they should have cleared up their main problem. Kimber prices have been going up so now they are a lot nearer in price to springfield customs. There are a couple of springfields I want there are also some kimbers I like.

I really don't feel that in comperable guns that springfield is any better then kimber. Springfield does however have some really nice custom models but the price reflects this.

Kimbers main reason for bringing out the 1911 was so the average person could have custom features for a lower price. They succeded in this, thereby forcing other manufactures to do the same.

As to the gov model in springfield and other manufactures such as colt is really a step back to the basic pistol but with a little tighter tolerances then the original O-model.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I don't have a wide range of comparison. I own a Springer loaded (older stainless version). I have shot a Champion as well as a Trophy Match.

I have shot several Kimbers mostly of the TLE variety.

I like the Kimbers much better. I like the tactile feel of their triggers much better, and I think their pistols have a better fit and finish.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective View Post
    I like the Kimbers much better. I like the tactile feel of their triggers much better, and I think their pistols have a better fit and finish.
    That's kinda my take on it as well and proves that what your need's or want's are is who you will go with. I will say i will run either of them anyday. Kimber just seem's to have the better marketed line up with some attractive options and finish choices and i guess it show's in sale's even though still SA is above Kimber with sales in a year.

I have a Tactical Pro now and had to use it for the first time in an advanced CQB pistol class when my Colt Combat Commander's ejector decided to break halfway through the class. I guess after 13 year's and probably 30,000 round's something is bound to break.

But the thing is, I actually broke the Tac-Pro in right then and there to finish the class with. I had it clean and well lubed just in case and sure enough I needed it. Now my Colt is a full custom from Don Williams with an STI trigger and all so a nice piece but to be honest the Kimber's trigger in this Pro was better out of the box then my Custom Colt. The Pro ran great with zero problems for 200 rounds to finsh up the class and the trigger was impressive.

My Colt is now with my smith to not only change the ejector but to perform a trigger job to try and match what the Kimber trigger will do or better and fully inspect the Colt to make sure I didn't do any damage becuase when the ejector broke (I didn't know it broke, I thought it was just dirty and gummed up from the 1000 round's already down the pipe with it that day) I kept running it and when the slide wouldn't RTB I forced it to return several times as I was in a real malfunction situation and had to keep going to fix the problem and get myself out of it as if it were really happening and although the slide was having trouble returning to battery (RTB) the gun functioned fine with a little help from me forcing it to. Gotta love those old Colt's.

It was a great training experiance that it actually happened in a live fire CQB class that thrives on making a gun malfunction on purpose so that you can work though the problem/'s and get it back running ASAP with failure drill's.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I'm in the market for a new 4" 1911 and have narrowed it down to either a S/A or a Kimber. So this thread was timely for me .

What I find most interesting is that some people are saying the S/A is more expensive than Kimber where they live. Wow... cause here in DFW Kimber is around $300 - $400 more expensive than a similar S/A.

I currently own a S/A Micro Compact 3" bbl with only 200 rounds through it and no problems. I'm very pleased with S/A and their customer service. That may be the final issue as I've never owned a Kimber and have no idea how their customer service is.

Overall what I take from this thread is that S/A vs. Kimber is like Ford vs. Chevy. Both very good, just depends on what style and features you like better.

Springer for me... Here's mine :)

It's my second 1911, I picked up a cheap RIA first, wanting to see if I'd like the platform or not. Took me all of 3 months to trade it in for a loaded springfield.

Nothing wrong with the Kimbers, (or Wilsons, for that matter), but the Springers are less money for what I consider to be equal quality.

Now, with the Taurus 1911's becoming available, there's another option for a good quality inexpensive 1911. The RIA was fine, if a little rough, but had I been able to get a Taurus at that time, I probably would have done so.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links