Anyone own / carry a Kahr CW9 or CW40?

This is a discussion on Anyone own / carry a Kahr CW9 or CW40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son is interested in this gun as his first handgun. He is 16 and I will actually own the gun. The deal is, I ...

Thread: Anyone own / carry a Kahr CW9 or CW40?

My son is interested in this gun as his first handgun. He is 16 and I will actually own the gun. The deal is, I will buy all my kids their first handgun around their 16th birthday, then on their 21st birthday, I will transfer ownership of the gun to them and I will pay for their carry class. This gives them 5 years to shoot the gun, learn how to take it apart and clean it, learn it inside and out. Then, they will be very confident in their carry weapon.

Anyway, he is interested in the CW9 and I think it is a fine choice although I have suggested he might look at the compact version of the S&W M&P 9mm. He has expressed interest in it as well.

I would like to hear from anyone who owns one of the CW series of pistols.

Thanks.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

CW9

I own and carry a CW9 among other handguns.

Yes, I recommend the CW9 for carry with Corbon DPX 115 grain +p loaded.

However, since your son has 5 years before carring a concealed handgun, I recommend that he/you rent and or borrow different handguns and shoot them. A young adult and an adult hand sizes are different. One handgun that feels good now might feel a lot different in a few years. Take your time and look around and like you did here ask a lot of questions. Is the handgun going to get a lot of range time? If so, what is the cost of ammo? Etc.

Good luck,
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

Good points there! Plus in 5 years he may see a new model or his interests may change. In that case he would want a different gun and then would have to start the process all over again. I have experianced this. As a child i thought the only gun i would ever own would be a semi auto or a full auto uzi LOL silly me.

Now i want them all! At 16 i would have never considerd a small framed revolver, now i really want one.

I would suggest that your son learn all he can about guns in general and not just one gun, that way he is as equipted as possible to carry.

Just my opinion.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Some quick background for you guys. I am not newbie to the gun world. I have had a permit to carry for over 17 years. I own 10 handguns and 17 rifles. I grew up shooting, worked as a range safety officer and a deputy sheriff. So, I understand what you two have said so far.

If his taste changes between 16 and 21, I have a solution for that. If he finds a gun he wants to switch to, he saves up 50% of the new gun's cost and I pay the other 50%. Then, I keep the original gun or he can work off or pay me 50% of it's worth. That way, either he or I end up with the original and he gets his new choice.

But, thanks for responding.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I own a couple of Kahrs , and would not hesitate to get a cw on quality basis . The CW series use a MIM slide release rather than a machined part, but Kahr redesigned the barrel lug to be wider so that the shock is spread over a wider area. Also the sights are pinned rather than dovetailed to the slide ( front ), and they are shipped with conventional rifleing in the barrel . I opted for the " full house " Khars myself but wouldnt consider the MIM or the sights a deal breaker if the price was right ( I own a mill and can dovetail a slide if i feel i have to lol ) . If the more economical features/manufactoring practices ( just got in trouble for using the words cheap kahr )of the cw series does not bother you , then by all means go for it . M&P are awsome too but thicker to ccw with if that is an aim .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Have you also taught him to be a Glock hater? If not this might be agood choice as well as the Beretta. I can't comment on the Kahr as I have found them to be over priced compare to other comprable firearms. I admire what you are doing for your kids. I too have quite a few firearms and bought my son his first rifle at 6 years old. A Henry lever action youth model 22lr. He started shooting it at age 7 and now at 15 he is safer with a firearm than the majority of adults I have shot with. Depending on your selection of handguns you may want to get him to a range with a good rental line of guns and let him shoot as many different types as he can.
    Take Care
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

As I said we own several handguns in calibers from .22 LR to .40 cal. We have 3 revolvers, all .357's, 2 .40's, 3 9mm's and, 2 .22's. So, he has shot quite a good spread of guns with ours and the many others from friends and family members that we have shot with.

No, he is not a Glock hater but, like me, he does not like the grip angle of the Glocks. So, he isn't considering one of them for that reason.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Have you also taught him to be a Glock hater?
    imho that is a wee bit over the top . Not everyone cares for any particular brand of pistol . As long as its a quality gun and safe its suitable , I personaly have everything from sigs to taurus , all selected on the particular pistol not the brand . I find glock triggers to be crap , and the grip angle does not index for me so i dont own any . That does not make me a glock hater , it just makes me smart enough not to beat my head against a wall trying to make an unsuitable pistol work for me . Friends love glocks , and that is fine too , but they are not the " answer " for everyone .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have a Kahr CW9 and like it a lot for everyday carry. I've found it 100% reliable over several months and almost a thousand rounds. For pocket carry I think it's the best.

If I had the purchase to do over again, the only thing I might do differently would be to possibly consider a Glock 26 instead of one of the Kahr 9mms. I like my Kahr an awful lot and don't regret buying it at all, but I have become intrigued by the Glocks and suspect that they may be easier to shoot accurately. I think that the Glock 26 though is just a little too big for most people to pocket carry. From what I hear the Glocks are all fine pistols.

Sponsored Links