A different approach to choosing a sidearm

This is a discussion on A different approach to choosing a sidearm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a H&K USP 40. Magazines are harder to find (read cheaply) in a lot of places. The proprietary rail does not lend itself ...

Thread: A different approach to choosing a sidearm

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

A different approach to choosing a sidearm

I have a H&K USP 40. Magazines are harder to find (read cheaply) in a lot of places. The proprietary rail does not lend itself to many accessories. Several holster designs do not accept this sidearm.

So I was wondering, if you were going to choose a CCW sidearm based on the availability of accessories, aftermarket products, etc., what would be an acceptable utilitarian product of good quality?
    Last edited by paramedic70002; December 29th, 2006 at 07:28 AM. Reason: misspelling
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    So I was wondering, if you were going to choose a CCW sidearm based on the availability of accessories, aftermarket products, etc., what would be an acceptable utilitarian product of good quality?
    I think the usual players...1911s and Glocks come right to mind but others popular guns as well...S&W642, and even the XDs are getting there.

Administrator
    With out a doubt, Glock. 1911's are my choice, but they do require a bit more care than Glocks. Any gun store carries stuff for them, a good store will have most parts. Mags are a non issue, cheap, and cheaper by the dozen.

If I had to choose just one pistol to do it all, the G19 would be my choice.

I'm going off now to tell my 1911s I'm sorry.

Senior Moderator
    There are more aftermarket goodies for Glocks and 1911s than any other guns; probably more for these two than all others put together (handguns that is). Beretta 92s are a good choice because holsters are readily available, but the 92s don't have an accessory rail.

I tend to agree with SIXTO, if I had to choose one to do it all a Glock would be a strong contender, for me the G17, but the Beretta 92 is also a top contender.

Maybe you should re-think picking a gun based on accessories, esp. rails. You can get CTs for a laser sight that, IMO, is far superior to rail mounted lasers and about the only other rail accessory is a white light.

I really got into the mounted weapon light for a while. I have a Surefire X200, Insight M3, and a Streamlight TLR-2. I discovered that I rarely use them and that I was eliminating some very good handguns because they didn't have the rail.

The WML is a great concept and tool in niche situations, but as a civilian, I find them not to be very practical except in the home.

I don't care for rails on carry guns. I would much rather have a smoother profile and night sights or CT grip on the gun.

Accessory rails are great for HD gun and I have a light add on for mine but carry gun and holster combo that the light is on already is expensive and hard to find IMHO.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

first I would get a 1911.

second, they do sell an adapter (accessory) that "converts" the rail to a picatinny standard.

third, you didn't say if yours is a compact or full size(?)

fourth PM me, or e-mail me, my son bought a bunch of these mags and is reselling them (it was a group purchase, and some of his buds backed out due to financial constraints- excuses like: "the wife said no...

great shooters and I like them almost as much as my 1911s

Attachments on CCW guns

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    If you were going to choose a CCW sidearm based on the availability of accessories, aftermarket products, etc., what would be an acceptable utilitarian product of good quality?
    I don't think I would choose a CCW gun on this basis. I believe the more important considerations are:

- How well I can shoot that particular gun.
    - Reliability of the gun.
    - Adequacy of caliber for stopping a threat.
    - Ease of carry and concealment for the gun.

The availability of attachments and aftermarket items does not concern me as much, with the possible exception of holsters. But if you pick a gun from a major manufacturer that has been on the market for a few years, you can probably find a good stock or custom holster for it. I don't use laser sights or attachable flashlights on a gun, so I don't care much about mounting rails. As for magazines, if I have 2 or 3 good magazines for a gun, I'm pretty well set.

Some of my favorite CCW guns are virtually stock, as the manufacturer made them. These would include a Sig P229, an H&K USP and a S&W model 66 revolver.

Administrator
    For daily carry I would look seriously at any high quality Commander length 1911 pattern pistol with great fixed sights & probably also with a lightweight/alloy or polymer frame for constant carry. Night sights would be a minor plus but, not mandatory.

Then I would buy one Best Quality leather holster and a good stiff "gun belt" and 6 extra Cobra Mags from Tripp Research and I'd be good to go anywhere.

If I woke up one morning and all of my existing guns & holsters and accessories were (like magic) GONE! and I had to hurry up and run out and buy a firearm and could only buy one immediate "perfect" firearm/sidearm for my emergency defensive serious carry ~ then that would be the one.

Just my personal opinion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    I don't care for rails on carry guns. I would much rather have a smoother profile and night sights or CT grip on the gun.

Accessory rails are great for HD gun and I have a light add on for mine but carry gun and holster combo that the light is on already is expensive and hard to find IMHO.
    Well put, I couldn't have said it any better....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

If you want a sidearm with good holster availability and magazines the number one choice would be a Glock. I agree this may not be the best method to chose a firearm but it is a variable. The good thing about a Glock is that you can get basically the same gun in many different calibers. So going from a 9mm to a 40 doesn't require any different shooting techniques. I would find a range near you that rents guns and rent as many as you can and shoot them all. The choice would soon be very clear on what the best gun is for you.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

+1 to most of the previous comments, but if you are going for the "utilitarian" theme I think you would do well to also consider the availability of replacement stock/OEM parts.

This was one of my recent decision points that helped attract me to the Glock line.

For a very modest price you are able to acquire a small stash of spare parts; if something breaks, and as long as it isn't the barrel, slide, or grip frame, you can replace it yourself with a little know-how.

Quote Originally Posted by gunmetal View Post
    +1 to most of the previous comments, but if you are going for the "utilitarian" theme I think you would do well to also consider the availability of replacement stock/OEM parts.

This was one of my recent decision points that helped attract me to the Glock line.

For a very modest price you are able to acquire a small stash of spare parts; if something breaks, and as long as it isn't the barrel, slide, or grip frame, you can replace it yourself with a little know-how.
    As much as I am not a fan of Glock pistols because of the grip angle and the sheer size and shape of the grip, Gunmetal makes a very good point.

From a practical point of view, the Glock line has the most holsters, after market accessories and other gadgets devoted to them of any line of guns other than the old 1911.
    That may be a consideration for you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

glock, glock, glock, 1911 a1 types, s&w, sig.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

+1 on Glocks
    +1 on 1911s

All kinds of stuff no one really needs for these pistols. Maybe even a few usefull add ons! (as I have some useless & usefull)

as others have said...1911's and Glocks.

There are tons (literally) of parts, accessories, and mags for the 1911's out there.

The nice thing about the Glocks is that you really don't need any aftermarket stuff...just buy the gun, some spare mags, and spend the money you saved (by not having to tinker with it) and shoot the hell out of it .
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Links