First gun purchase

This is a discussion on First gun purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This summer i intend to get my first handgun. Right now i am looking at the taurus 24/7 G2 compact in 9mm. Just wanted everyones ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: First gun purchase

First gun purchase

This summer i intend to get my first handgun. Right now i am looking at the taurus 24/7 G2 compact in 9mm. Just wanted everyones opinions and thoughts on this gun if anyone has personal experience with it. If you have any other recommendations on guns please keep the price point low because im in college and dont have a whole lot of money to throw around. Thanks
    Chasejax likes this.

2. Remove Ads

What are you wanting the gun for?

Fun at the range, home defense, concealed carry?

And how important is price to you? Whats your budget? Thats roughly what 400 new?
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    If you could swing it I'd go with an M&P. They're around $550 here. It just depends on what you're wanting it for. I'm with you on the price of guns while in college. I know all about it. But one thing I've learned from this site and personal experience. Cheap ain't always the best. Nothing wrong with Taurus though.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

VIP Member
    Taurus doesn't have a great reputation. I own one and love it (PT 145 Mil Pro) but I may have just been lucky.

In the end there are probably better choices. But if you like the gun and are willing to take a risk that it may have to go back to the factory to get fixed then go for it.
    ETXhiker and DanielC like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Take your time and research the begeebers out of it. Your first firearm is always a gamble of sorts (unless you get a good 1911 :>) ). I think most of us have gone thru a few guns in our search for that "perfect" one, and many of us are still searching years later. I've never owned the gun you are considering so have no thoughts on it. What specifically are you going to use it for? CCW, home protection, completion, just for fun range use and plinking? I would ask myself that question and then post here for mostly valuable info. Good luck and have fun.
    WrongRecroom and ETXhiker like this.

JMHO, but I'd try to save up a little more & get a Shield or a Kahr CM9 or CW9.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I know 2 ppl who own hipoint 9mm's. They both swear by them and claim zero issues. I own a .380 ive yet to shoot but am eager to see if I get the same results.
    Though big bulky and ugly, apparently they do go bang. And for well under 200 bucks thats quite good for a college student.
    I own a S&W and I absolutely love it. My next purchase is likely to be another of the same brand but different type. Also dont forget about glocks. I bet a earlier model may go for around 400. Newer used model for sure. Love my G26. Haven't had a single hicup amd ive shot some naaasty old ammo thats a hamdgun id go into battle with.

My wife has a 24/7 compact that's been good to us, but there's a lot of bad press out there on Taurus semi-autos.

A few other guns around the same size/price:

Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger SR9c
    Springfield XD
    Beretta PX4 Storm
    NickBurkhardt likes this.

In that price range, I would choose a Ruger SR9C over a Taurus for quality and reliability.
    Ianthin, FLMOPE, ETXhiker and 3 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

VIP Member
    Rather than discredit specific makers, it's safe to say that generally, you get what you pay for. You'll hear rumor about a certain cheap model that always works, but chances are the owner doesn't shoot it much, or they may have lucked out and got a good one.

There are known good manufacturers out there, that few will dispute. It's better to stick with one of those vs. trying to justify a tainted brand.

I want it mostly for home defense and im going to carry once i turn 21 and get my CCW. But will spend tons of time at the range practicing
    Chasejax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flcarry95 View Post
    I want it mostly for home defense and im going to carry once i turn 21 and get my CCW. But will spend tons of time at the range practicing

Are you talking getting gun pre 21 ? That is legal but it will servley limted how you can get it .. Only privaty party can do that and many will not sell to someone under 21 so finding the right price and model can be tricky ... And gun shows might be better but a number of counteys in florida do not allow ppt at shows ...

Anyhow yeah Taurus is a ok gun.. If you can read up on how it takes down and cleans and of course if you can shoot them..

You can still get a LEO trade in glock for 300-500 if you look same with m&p and 92 bretta ...

Heck if you look you can find a 6906 s&w compact used for a good price

Your options open up more when you can get from a dealer or the such ..

The taurus has good reviews ... just as I said fire it first..
    ETXhiker likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by flcarry95 View Post

Are you talking getting gun pre 21 ? That is legal but it will servley limted how you can get it .. Only privaty party can do that and many will not sell to someone under 21 so finding the right price and model can be tricky ... And gun shows might be better but a number of counteys in florida do not allow ppt at shows ...

Anyhow yeah Taurus is a ok gun.. If you can read up on how it takes down and cleans and of course if you can shoot them..

You can still get a LEO trade in glock for 300-500 if you look same with m&p and 92 bretta ...

Heck if you look you can find a 6906 s&w compact used for a good price

Your options open up more when you can get from a dealer or the such ..

The taurus has good reviews ... just as I said fire it first..
    NickBurkhardt likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Do u want it to be single/double action? Do u want a manual thumb safety since youll use as a CCW? Do you prefer auto over revolver? Your wanting 9mm I believe right?
    We are getting somewhere here, so far we have-

Under 500 budget.
    Needed for Conceal carry as well as home & range.

I will say this, id bet money if you get one today that by the time your 21 you'll be wanting or have a new one lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasejax View Post
    Do u want it to be single/double action? Do u want a manual thumb safety since youll use as a CCW? Do you prefer auto over revolver? Your wanting 9mm I believe right?
    We are getting somewhere here, so far we have-

Under 500 budget.
    Needed for Conceal carry as well as home & range.

I will say this, id bet money if you get one today that by the time your 21 you'll be wanting or have a new one lol.
    I do want a DA/SA. And yes my first gun i want a thumb safety. Also auto yes and also yes to 9mm do u have any guns around 500 that you would recommend.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links