Range Report: Kimber Pro Carry II in Stainless (some pics)

This is a discussion on Range Report: Kimber Pro Carry II in Stainless (some pics) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that I've finally gotten my Kimber completely broken in, I figured I'd do a range report on it. The first 500 rounds were rather ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Report: Kimber Pro Carry II in Stainless (some pics)

Range Report: Kimber Pro Carry II in Stainless (some pics)

Now that I've finally gotten my Kimber completely broken in, I figured I'd do a range report on it.

The first 500 rounds were rather rough. I experienced roughly 5 FTF's for every 100 rounds of ammo, which was rather disconcerting. It was all Remington UMC 230gr hardball stuff that I got on sale at Dick's. I've heard some bad things about this stuff, but it all went bang.

At 500 rounds though, some magic happened and it's been flawless since. I've ran 200 rounds of Federal 230gr hydra-shoks through it and 200 rounds of my reloads. 230gr LRN bullets from Gardner's Cache with 4.9 grains of HP 38 powder.

I feel completely comfortable carrying it now and of all the pistols I own (not many yet, but I'm working on it) I shoot it the best. The only modification that has been done was a Wilson Combat ambidextrous safety because I'm a leftie.

Here's a pic of my setup:

The cheapie Don Hume holster will be replaced with a ranger Gun Leather once it is made and arrives. The kydex mag carrier was made by Rocky custom for me and works rather well. I slip it into my back pant's pocket and can reload rather fast from it.

Here's a pic of some of the best pistol shooting I've ever done. Not as good as some of the stuff I've seen on here, but I'm rather happy with it. Only been shooting pistols for a couple years, so I'm getting there. Three mags worth of ammo into one paper plate. There was an orange dot at one point, so it's not the sights being off.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

2. Remove Ads

excellent Some guns do take a few hundred rounds to break in before they will run no matter what anyone says

My baer was like that round 350 all problems went away Except 1 FTF in 300 rounds since 350 and i think that was me as it was 3rd round out of a clean gun then i shot 200 more lead reloads with out a hitch

Glad ya like it and its working for ya I wish more gun makers would wake up and offer the ambi safety stock ..

The ones i won;'t buy are the ones that tell ya sure send it in on your dime pay for the ambi or else it voids you warrenty guess what Bud don't buy a 1911 from them

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Target ?? Put it in perspective sir.
    Ever seen a mans chest smaller than your shot group ??

Glad your weapon is shooting good for you.

I am a firm believer in that,all weapons will eventually "break in" if something is not extreamly outta whack. A real good F&B will really help the process and save you some rds downrange.

Kimbers got/are gettin' a bad rap cuz they are built tighter than most. I've seen guys that were having the same problems with their 2K$ gunz. Time and patience is the key. Glad you had both. ------

First off congrats on the new Kimber. Glad to see that everything worked out for you after the break in period. My custom TLE II was a little rough to start but after about 200-300 rnds it has been flawless. I think you'll be very happy with the Kimber as a ccw I know I am and I think my next purchase is going to be thier Ultra Raptor II.

VIP Member
    I own one of the Pro Carry HDII in .45acp (also have another that is still bone stock in .38 Super), the only difference is mine has a stainless frame & slide.

Good gun, it gets carried regularly. I did add a couple of things to mine though. Ambi-safety (I'm a lefty as well), night sights, grips & mag-well. I also had some machine work done. Added forward slide serrations & had the grip safety built up to add a bit of a memory bump.

It took less than 400 rounds to break in, but I did have some feed issues at first, I had to use Wilson Combat magazines, the originals didn't work very well.
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Nice Kimbers guy's! good write up and glad things have smoothed out for you.

goawayfarm, what grip's are those?

I actually picked up a Tactical Pro a month or so ago and i had to break it in at the halfway point of a training class i was taking. My ejector broke on my Colt so the Tac-Pro was my back up to it or my Ultra so i figured no time like the present to breaker in. Went 200 rds with it to finish the class and the gun was impressive, it really was. I really like the gun even more then i thought I would. The trigger is unreal and possibly my best trigger out of any of my gun's, that's saying alot as I have a few custom's such as my Colt by Don Williams that I thought had a nice trigger until I started shooting the Tac-Pro. I must have gotten lucky with the gun in general because to my surprise it was quite solid.

One thing I did tho was clean the gun (as I always do before shooting it the first time) but this time I soaked the part's in mineral spirits for an hour or so an really cleaned the gun about as good as one can get, then used CLP scrubbing the internals with a scrub brush until they were spotless. I cleaned up the feed ramp and got the dull look out of it, lubed it in all the right places, put an extra amount of Millitec 1 down the slide rails, put the gun back together, function checked it and put it in my range bag as a back up to my Colt for a two day training course.

I firmly believe that spending the time cleaning the gun as well as i did (it was quite dirty from the factory testing) and adding extra lube to the rails made for a flawless outing with it. It took me about 20 rounds to get as accurate as i am with my Colt but i settled right in with it when I found out what her tendencies were vs the Colt. It's kinda weired but it's my favorite piece right now because i was able to scored better shot's with the Tac-Pro in the last 200 rounds than I did with my Colt with on the move shooting, tactical entry and a timed scored tactical course to qualify and actually earn your certificate of completion at the end.

Probably my last Kimber because I don't think I could get another nice one like this one is again (My Ultra CDP is nice to but even with a trigger job it is not as nice as this one). I could be wrong but I don't want to be dissappointed as i know i will be because this gun for whatever reason really is that nice to shoot.

Pic,

Hey I love talking gun's so sorry for the ramble.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    goawayfarm, what grip's are those?
    Ti
    Ergo XT...they are similar in feel to rough skate board tape, but a little less gritty. I have them on 3 of my 1911s, inexpensive & sturdy. $19/pr.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Great report from all you guys. I looked at a ProCarry II at my local shop and was really tempted by it, couldn't get use to the all black sights and they wanted a bit too much for it so I had to pass.
    Jack

Glad you got it broke in and it seems to be shooting just fine. I agree with "when have you seen a mans chest smaller than a pie plate?" Would like to see how it does at 15 yards.
    When I broke in my Glock 23 it never had a FTF but it thru the cases everywhere, forward, right 8 feet, back in my face. I called the gun shop and he said to put another 300 rounds through it. After the 250 rnd it started to calm down and dump them like it should. It's not like my Berrreta where I it will put all 16 cases in a 1 foot circle, but at least they all go far to the right and not in my face.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Ergo XT...they are similar in feel to rough skate board tape, but a little less gritty. I have them on 3 of my 1911s, inexpensive & sturdy. $19/pr.
    those grips looked good but i didnt like the feel on my 1911 i got the xt's or xtr didnt even shoot it with them on the gun

they have joined the grip box..lol

Lovin' the Kimbers!

Started last year with a CDP Ultra II -- my carry. It broke in with about three glitches ibetween the first 75 to 150 rounds after which it has been flawless.

The wife "let me get" a Custom II as a Christmas present this year. (I love that gal!) She (the gun) ain't that pretty, but it was flawless out of the box.

First thing I do when I get the new gun home is learn how to strip it down and re-assemble several times. Neither of these Kimbers showed the need to clean prior to taking them to the range, and proved it.

The sight on the CDP Ultra II was dead on, as would be expected. But the Custom II is off, so I'll have to drift the rear sight, and have to learn what that's all about. Well, it' s all part of the fun, eh!

Keep up the good shooting! May you always be ready to use it for defense and never need to!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    those grips looked good but i didnt like the feel on my 1911 i got the xt's or xtr didnt even shoot it with them on the gun

they have joined the grip box..lol
    That's the great thing about 1911s, there are so many different types of grips out there, anybody can get something they like.

I love mine, they get a little less rough over time, but at first they were a little hard on the inside of my vests. (they rubbed holes into the material). I've had to patch several of my vests.....although not all of the holes were due to those grips, some were due to the checkering on the mainspring housing.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Glad you got it broke in and it seems to be shooting just fine. I agree with "when have you seen a mans chest smaller than a pie plate?" Would like to see how it does at 15 yards.
    When I broke in my Glock 23 it never had a FTF but it thru the cases everywhere, forward, right 8 feet, back in my face. I called the gun shop and he said to put another 300 rounds through it. After the 250 rnd it started to calm down and dump them like it should. It's not like my Berrreta where I it will put all 16 cases in a 1 foot circle, but at least they all go far to the right and not in my face.
    It shoots just fine at 15 yards. The longest target I have a pic of is at 10 yards. Shoots about the same for me at 15 yards. Don't really notice any accuracy dropoff for the 4 inch barrel. It really makes me want to get a 5" 1911 if I shoot the 4" this well.

Keep in mind the gun shoots a lot better than I do.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Now that I've finally gotten my Kimber completely broken in, I figured I'd do a range report on it.

The first 500 rounds were rather rough. I experienced roughly 5 FTF's for every 100 rounds of ammo, which was rather disconcerting. It was all Remington UMC 230gr hardball stuff that I got on sale at Dick's. I've heard some bad things about this stuff, but it all went bang.

At 500 rounds though, some magic happened and it's been flawless since. I've ran 200 rounds of Federal 230gr hydra-shoks through it and 200 rounds of my reloads. 230gr LRN bullets from Gardner's Cache with 4.9 grains of HP 38 powder.
    lots of people claim that remington umc ball ammo is bad. but it is not. there is nothing wrong will remington umc ammo. if a gun can not shoot remington umc ball ammo then it is a problem with the gun. no matter the cal of the gun. it is not the ball ammo that is the problem. 45 acp 230gr ball ammo was made for the military many mango seasons ago and was made to work in all (can i say all military) 1911 a1's. and believied me the 1911 a1 that we had in the army in the 60/70's were old ww2 guns and they shot 45 ball without any problems and they also gave us good groups. this is with old ww2 and older mags. with most mags that stayed loaded all the time (for years).

glad to see that your gun is broken in after 900 rounds. to me a gun in this price range should not need hundreds of rounds to break it in. should be like a glock, broken in right from the box. now a kel tec at $225.00 needs less than 200 rounds to break it in. but you know this going in when you get in bed with them. so does this tells me that kimbers are no better than a kel tecs???

i know that last statement will make some hot!!!!
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

My Kimber Compact Stainless II .45, has been flawless from out of the box. Any ammunition, reloads, lead, Jacketed, any bullet, any position, clean or dirty; flawless.
    This is the way it should be and this pistol was as I anticipated.

Now at over 2000 rds, it is my primary carry with 230 Hydroshocks and Tripp Research Cobramags.
    It's only modifications have been, Crimson trace lasersights, Meprolight Tritium nightsights & the EGW firing pin stop.
    I have never enjoyed a pistol as much as I have this one.

Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links