Maybe a little clarification about the M&P…added a M&P video

This is a discussion on Maybe a little clarification about the M&P…added a M&P video within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There have been a couple of threads extolling the M&P and I have to admit I've been more than pleased with the performance of my ...

Thread: Maybe a little clarification about the M&P…added a M&P video

Senior Moderator

There have been a couple of threads extolling the M&P and I have to admit I've been more than pleased with the performance of my 'new' M&P.

While it is a fine gun, sometimes the initial enthusiasm, excitement, and focus about a new gun can give the false impression that the ultimate gun, or at least a ‘much improved’ gun, has been discovered. That’s not the case. Although I was pretty excited about the M&P myself (and my posts reflected that) the truth is the M&P is no better, at least in my experience, than Sigs, XDs, 1911s, Glocks, Berettas, H&Ks, BHP, etc..

It would be easy to deduce from all the excitement that one has to have this particular gun to shoot better. While different people do shoot better with one gun than another, there is no universal ultimate gun, the M&P included.

As far as I’m concerned, Sig, Beretta, Springfield, Glock, S&W, all those 1911, et al are all excellent, time tested firearms. The M&P is a bit young to be in the category with those guns, but time will tell.

I just didn’t want anyone to get a wrong impression about the M&P.

VIP Member
    Good and fair post.

I think I'm gonna buy one, as they seem to be pretty good from initial reviews, but +1 on no ultimate gun fits for everyone. It does, IMO, seem to be improved over previous S&W similar models such as SIGMAs, as for "much improved", time will tell as you stated.

Good post.

only time will tell. the gun seems to be a good gun. they feel good, point well, and shoot well. this gun is the best gun made for a left hand persons with it's ambidextrous controls. along with the inter-change grips. the compact 40 cal looks like it should give the glock 27 a run for it's money.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Reviews are nice, but nothing compared to holding it and shooting it yourself.

Very true. All of the major makers produce very accurate and reliable firearms. It is all about what features you are looking for, and the ergonomics of the pistol. When you find a gun that has all the features you are looking for, and fits your hand like a glove, it indeed seems to rise above all of those other "rust buckets".
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Senior Moderator
    Yep frankmako, that's what I've been thinkin' - "...the compact 40 cal looks like it should give the glock 27 a run for it's money...."

In fact those Glocks in all those different sizes, that operate the same with magazine interchangability was one the strong points for Glock. I haven't seen the compact M&P yet but if it's G27 size, it'd sure add some versatility to the M&P line.

"When you find a gun that has all the features you are looking for, and fits your hand like a glove, it indeed seems to rise above all of those other "rust buckets".
    LOL! Well put Exodus! That about sums 'er up!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I just didn’t want anyone to get a wrong impression about the M&P.
    As was said, it is a good and fair (and honest and frank) post. I appreciate it. I'd begun wondering if I was a non-star-bellied Sneetch or something, because I have not become intrigued enough to check out the M&P.

The main impression I've gotten about the M&P is that it seems to be a lot about hype. I'm put off by the "stainless" stamp on the slide (as I mentioned in a thread I started) and it makes me suspect that they are trying to be gimmicky. (Others have claimed there is a legitimate purpose to putting that there but I don't buy it.)

I also don't care for the lines of the gun, actually. It reminds me of the Colt 2000 (How 'bout you?)

Unlike a lot of people, I actually think that the Glocks are GOOD-looking.

To each his (or her) own Jeffrey. I can say for sure though that the M&P is more than just hype (so far). I have yet to have a problem with mine. I'll have the full verdict once I've got more than 10,000 rounds through it.

The Gen-3 Glocks do look pretty good, just not be best ergonomics for me.

Thanks for quoting me Tangle. That inspired a new signature for me!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I generally have always embraced new technology.

However I currently have only ONE pistol with a "plastic" frame ,and
    plan on replacing it with a proper "All Metal" firearm

Now , someday I may buy another "modern" techno
    wonder gun , but meanwhile I will enjoy my SIGs , S&Ws etc.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I'm put off by the "stainless" stamp on the slide (as I mentioned in a thread I started) and it makes me suspect that they are trying to be gimmicky. (Others have claimed there is a legitimate purpose to putting that there but I don't buy it.)

Unlike a lot of people, I actually think that the Glocks are GOOD-looking.
    No no no....Glocks are ugly. I love 'em, own 'em, shoot 'em and carry one. Get your eyes checked if you think they are good looking....

Seriously, Glocks can be deemed pretty, but in a very very functional way.

And, please, never another "Oh no, it says STAINLESS on the slide" thread....I'd have to again post my pic of Mt. Rushmore with "Stainless" carved into the mountain's face.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    I have to wounder about stainless stamps since I work with it I know its not the wounder meatal its touted to be buy corprate shills.It heats up fast, it warps easy under heat, it scratches easy to become clouded n dull ,it galls and yes folks it will rust in the right conditions. lol so a stainless stamp dosnt mean its any better fire arm just that its made diffrent lol imho

Seems like a fair post to me.

I'll be honest, I want a M&P .40 so bad it isn't funny but I don't think that this gun is going to make me a perfect shot or something. I just really like the ergonomics and the low bore axis of the gun. I also love the fact that I can custom fit the grip girth to my hand. Add to that the fact that even though the grip fits my medium sized hands the gun still holds 15 rounds of .40 cal ammo. And you do not have to dry fire it to dis-assemble it.

So, what's not to like?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

For me the M&P is one of the best values out there in the gun world. It has incorporated many features from the finest manufacturers into one gun. Sigs warranty. Walther's adjustable grips. Beretta's capacity. A finish like Glock, but harder. All of this with a price tag lower than any of those mfrs. Really nice sights and created by people here in the United States, made it inch up to the top place on my list, too. I don't know about anyone else but I think dollar for dollar this is one of the nicest guns out there now and I really enjoy shooting it.

However, I will never have 1 million rounds through it to prove it can do this or that. I have over 800 flawless rounds so far and not one jam or problem. That is good enough for me.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Senior Moderator
    It's kinda interesting, nothing spectacular though.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...egory_rn=15711

THEN CLICK ON THE BUTTON - "SEE THE M&P IN ACTION" - It's right beside the picture.

Links