Carry Gun Size

This is a discussion on Carry Gun Size within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, this may be a little different than you expected, given the title. Bear with me for a little background. For several years I carried ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry Gun Size

Carry Gun Size

OK, this may be a little different than you expected, given the title.

Bear with me for a little background. For several years I carried a Kimber Compact as my primary carry gun. A few years ago I switched to a full-sized Kimber TLE as my primary carry gun. This change took place after a couple of minor epiphanies that occurred to me during a series of defensive encounter simulations, but that's another story.

Just prior to Christmas my wife and I took a road trip to Phoenix to spend a week with her elderly parents. Though an unfortunate circumstance, I ended up taking my Kimber Compact, rather than my full-sized gun, on the trip. This may sound odd, but I felt more than a little uncomfortable, and a bit under-dressed, the entire week. Has this ever happened to any of you?
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'll carry either 1 or two different calibers on me at one time (380,9 or 45). Due to practice, I feel comfortible with any of them.

I never was comfortable carry a small auto be it grip or what ever

I switched back to carrying fullsize for a long time then settled on a commander size gun when i got my new suv the seats are so cushy it pushs on a 5" barrel

But ya I've felt odd carryign a smaller gun maybe its because im a big guy

Assistant Administrator
    I am an exponent of ''large and heavy'' - in fact if I can conceal it - it is a go!

My EDC is SIG 226 ST and it rarely changes but I can if need be downsize to a compact SW99 - nice gun but - I do feel a bit ''lacking'' if that is on board!

I would say to anyone - subject to concealment options and environmental factors - carry the largest darned gun you can. Mine is only 9mm but - in the SIG platform is it so controllable that I know I am better skilled with that than about anything else.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My preference!

I carry a S&W 1911 Gunsite .45 acp as my primary. To me, the .45 gives me the knock down power that I would look for, if I ever have to use my weapon. A number of the troops I served with back in the 70's told me that if you wanted to make sure the BG goes down and stays down, use a .45. I was lucky that Uncle Sam spent alot of time, money and effort to make sure we had the training to do so. To this day, my favorite is still the 1911 in .45ACP. My backup carry piece is a Model 19 ported 2.5'' .357.. I just bought today a S&W Model 327 in .357 and I am looking forward to taking it to the range and getting aquainted with it. Hopefully I can shoot it as well as the Model 19 because if I can, it will take over the #2 duties. The weight reduction is amazing. Will post feedback on the 327 once I get her to the range. Regards.
    Blackbear.45
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE, HISTORY PROVES THAT!

WE THE SHEEPDOGS WILL KEEP THE SHEEP SAFE FROM THE WOLVES.

Don't Have A Full Size...

and my Kimber Pro CDP II usually stays home now...I either have my Ultra CDP II, or my Glock-36...
    All three deliver a punch in a close encounter...
    Of all three, I usually prefer the Ultra, and I never feel 'under-powered'...
    The Ultra is soooooo easy to carry and conceal...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    After owning a 3" auto for a while, I traded up to a 4" gun. Now I feel 4" is as short of barrel/ gun size I wish to carry daily. Winter finds a USP F in my holster, due to dress allowing more gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    You only Take ONE Gun with you on a Weeklong Trip?

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I am an exponent of ''large and heavy'' - in fact if I can conceal it - it is a go!

+1
    My daily carry is a 229ST, its not exactly full sized but by no means is it small, just slightly smaller then full sized yet large enough to be an excellent range gun, although you cant see it when I carry I love being able to always feel the weight of it being there, gives me a better sense of awareness I guess.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    You only Take ONE Gun with you on a Weeklong Trip?

LOL I know what you mean.
    On my trip to MS., I had 3, just-in-case guns.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I went from full size auto down to a snubnose 357 Magnum revolver.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Size of carry gun really does not bother me . I do feel a bit funny when backed into the P3at as sole carry tho . I prefer to stick with 9mm and up for defenisve use when possible .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Comments on your posting

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Green View Post
    Though an unfortunate circumstance, I ended up taking my Kimber Compact, rather than my full-sized gun, on the trip. This may sound odd, but I felt more than a little uncomfortable, and a bit under-dressed, the entire week.
    Realistically, there isn't too much difference between the Kimber compact and a full size Kimber. It amounts to one inch on barrel length which may affect muzzle velocity slightly, and one less round in the magazine because of the shorter Officer's size grip. So you'd have possibly 8 rounds in the gun instead of 9, if you are using Wilson magazines, and the bullet would be coming out of the 4 inch barrel at maybe 95% of the velocity with the 5 inch barrel. I think it is unlikely that this would have much practical effect if you did have to use the gun. And I'm sure the compact model conceals more easily for you than the full size.

But in general I agree with your point, and personally feel a little better prepared carrying a larger gun in larger caliber with bigger magazine. Of the guns I have carried, I felt better with a Glock 23 (14 rounds of .40) and a H&K USP 45 (13 rounds of .45) than I did with a S&W J frame (5 rounds of .38) or a Walther PPK (7 rounds of .380).

There are times when my Mil-Spec is a bit too big for carry and I'll go with just my 642. I wouldn't want to get in a multiple BG shootout with it (or ANY shootout with any gun for that matter) but it sure beats going unarmed.

Other than that I don't think dropping from a 5" to 4" 1911 would concern me too much capability wise - curious about the story behind this: This change took place after a couple of minor epiphanies that occurred to me during a series of defensive encounter simulations.... Care to go into detail? Might be useful information to the rest of us "slabsiders."
    Jack

I agree with carry as big as you can conceal, but when I mean big I don't mean my 629 44mag, I mean big in capacity. Taking time to reload, without proper cover, could cost you your life in a gun fight. My daily gun is a Glock 23 with 13 rnd mag with Glock +2 floor plates, this is 16 rounds of 40 cal. I also carry a back up mag of the same, but to be honest if I expell all 16 rounds and the threat is not supressed I either should have thought twice about drawing, or am a really bad shot! I do carry a Model 60 38 special snub nose ( my wifes purse gun) but feel under gunned. I am looking at buying a Sig P230 or P232 for deep concealment and a BUG.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links