Durability of black nitride finish

This is a discussion on Durability of black nitride finish within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to get my first 1911 and am possibly deciding on the Para Ordnance Expert in single stack. I was curious as to how ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By BritishAgent
  • 2 Post By Chorizo
  • 1 Post By BritishAgent
  • 1 Post By Chorizo

Thread: Durability of black nitride finish

I'm looking to get my first 1911 and am possibly deciding on the Para Ordnance Expert in single stack. I was curious as to how the black nitride finish on this gun compares to other finishes such as blued or parkerized. Any info or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluing and parkerizing are finishes or layers of protective coating on the steel surface. Nitriding is a process of a kind of controlled corrosion done to the actual outermost layer of steel to harden it and ironically, make it corrosion-proof.

You can parkerize on top of the nitride surface treatment, that's what "black nitride" probably is. It's the same as Glock's tenifer treatment process; other companies may call it the melonite process or nitrocarburization as well.

It's pricier but you ultimately won't need to care for it as much as say parkerizing only, which will need a nice coating of oil on everything to ward off rust; or bluing which once it wears off in certain spots from holsters and whatnot, will corrode in those spots if not cared for.
    CG1997 likes this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Thanks for the quick reply, lots of info too. If it's true that the parkerizing surface treatment is part of the black nitride, would I still have to make sure the finish is well oiled?

"Black Nitride" could also be black 'gun paint' on top of the surface treatment as well, instead of parkerization... it's more of a marketing term. Check with the manufacturer.

Parkerizing is just 'roughing up' of smooth surface steel (otherwise shiny) which gives it a dark grey/black color and makes the surface very porous - better for retaining oil and subverting corrosion.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "

VIP Member
    Bluing is a controlled corrosion process. Ferritic nitrocarburizing (nitriding) is essentially a case hardening process that encompasses the processes melonite and tenifer. It is not a corrosion process, rather a surface molecular "infusion" process that changes the properties of the surface metals by bonding miolecules into the surface, vice corroding the surface.

As such it wears well as it has hardened the surface of the material and imparts a slickness that helps prevent abrasion wear.

Parkerizing is akin to chroming, that is, they are plating processes.

A black nitride surface is very corrosion resistant, it doesn't corrode underneath as chroming or rust through as parkerizing does and is very durable. It is NOT black paint or a surface coating.

http://www.burlingtoneng.com/melonite.html
    BritishAgent and CG1997 like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Ah I had it backwards. It's better, that's all I know!
    CG1997 likes this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Bluing is a controlled corrosion process. Ferritic nitrocarburizing (nitriding) is essentially a case hardening process that encompasses the processes melonite and tenifer. It is not a corrosion process, rather a surface molecular "infusion" process that changes the properties of the surface metals by bonding miolecules into the surface, vice corroding the surface.

As such it wears well as it has hardened the surface of the material and imparts a slickness that helps prevent abrasion wear.

Parkerizing is akin to chroming, that is, they are plating processes.

A black nitride surface is very corrosion resistant, it doesn't corrode underneath as chroming or rust through as parkerizing does and is very durable. It is NOT black paint or a surface coating.

http://www.burlingtoneng.com/melonite.html
    Nice! I'll take your word for it and seriously be considering buying this gun now

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CG1997 View Post
    Nice! I'll take your word for it and seriously be considering buying this gun now
    It has to be true, it is on the internet. Bon jour
    CG1997 likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Links